Reactions: sharp
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish Honda had put this in a better spot, like under the hood. OBD2 would be amazing and so much simpler but then again Im not sure why thr industry has gone that way. Guess it keeps you guya coming back to me, lol. ;-)
What is the software that Honda uses? Is there anything out there that us as customers can use?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not surprised Honda has a proprietary plug for their scanner, I have a John Deere 210LE that has a special plug to it's computer as well, to flash or read codes...so does the Harley now I think of it.

H

HondaTech

Honda uses a proprietary MCS, Motorcycle Communication System. Its made by Bosch i believe. We use to use the HDS, Honda Diagnostic System which was a Compaq PDA with a interface loaded on it. It was crap and too small too read, slow and boot looped all the time. Our new system uses a box with the red plug and a usb to a laptop or PC. Them you download thr program from Honda and it works through it. With periodic updates.

Both MAC and Snap-on supposedly have a system that works with a whole bunch of powersports brands. But ive never seen or used one.

I know on our dirtbikes ( CRF-R) models Honda sells a C.F-ROM with a program and a box that you hook a battery to and turn the pump on because they have no battery. But there was a guy online who hacked a OBD to usb adapter to work on the dirt bike without needing the box Honda has. All you need is the appropriate CD for your bike. That could possibly work on everyhting else but it doesn't have the correct interface for the Pioneer. The bikes are mainly just for tuining. But ive never used one of them either so maybe there is a way to hack it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Remember when ya use to change the jets and needle slide/position. Is there no more tuning for the track by the pit crew chief?
People have gotten lazy and would rather a button over a shifter. Electronics over manual. The more stuff that's added by factory to gain one up on the other for sales is one less item that can be worked on if needed by the individual.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
People have gotten lazy and would rather a button over a shifter. Electronics over manual.

Or, an alternate explination is that people have gotten lazy and keep voting for morons that are going to fix the world with a half baked solution.
So we end up with ATVs and SxS's that have ever increasing emissions controls.
That is why the carburetor is a thing of the past - they can not meet evaporative requierments nor the tamper proof regulations.
We all know a relative hand full of off road vehicles used on weekends is the cause of global warming.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Or, an alternate explination is that people have gotten lazy and keep voting for morons that are going to fix the world with a half baked solution.
That is why the carburetor is a thing of the past - they can not meet evaporative requierments nor the tamper proof regulations.
We all know a relative hand full of off road vehicles used on weekends is the cause of global warming.
I'd agree with that on the motor side for sure but the electronics in the 4wd,auto trans,braking,steering,active suspension, and such are all bi products of the other.
Machines will keep getting harder and much more expensive to work on with less life expectancy as companies come out with the newest best thing to out sell the competition. If you look at an old simple Honda it's still running lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 0860silverado
R

Russ

Apr 28, 2016
mn
Remember when ya use to change the jets and needle slide/position. Is there no more tuning for the track by the pit crew chief?
Yup could put new rings in on the trail and not worry about getting a hole in your radiator from a rock or stick

Reactions: CumminsPusher
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3

That's why two strokes are a thing of the past. Pure idiocy. There are probably several reasons manufacturers don't want us tampering with things. One, it cuts them out of revenue. John Deere has done that with their equipment. They have proprietary software and diagnostics so the equipment owner is forced to use them for any and all service issues. I think they are being sued about it as we speak, the issue being does the individual actually ever "own" the equipment they purchase if they can't service it themselves. The other is emissions. These companies don't want the liability of being fined by Uncle Sam for allowing the emissions to get out of whack by Johnny the Mechanic altering the software to increase performance. Remember the trouble Cummins, Cat, and others got into for remotely via satellite adjusting their engine parameters to help truckers out? Sad state of affairs.

John Deere Just Swindled Farmers out of Their Right to Repair

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's why two strokes are a thing of the past. Pure idiocy. There are probably several reasons manufacturers don't want us tampering with things. One, it cuts them out of revenue. John Deere has done that with their equipment. They have proprietary software and diagnostics so the equipment owner is forced to use them for any and all service issues. I think they are being sued about it as we speak, the issue being does the individual actually ever "own" the equipment they purchase if they can't service it themselves. The other is emissions. These companies don't want the liability of being fined by Uncle Sam for allowing the emissions to get out of whack by Johnny the Mechanic altering the software to increase performance. Remember the trouble Cummins, Cat, and others got into for remotely via satellite adjusting their engine parameters to help truckers out? Sad state of affairs.

John Deere Just Swindled Farmers out of Their Right to Repair
A few years back Can Am was sued because their ATV's required a trip to the dealer to reset the oil change notification.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: russknight
D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
What is the software that Honda uses? Is there anything out there that us as customers can use?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I guess the new question is what software are the tuners using to tune these (p1000 and talon) and what would it cost to get it.

A

andersjtaylor

Jul 22, 2021
manning south carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda uses a proprietary MCS, Motorcycle Communication System. Its made by Bosch i believe. We use to use the HDS, Honda Diagnostic System which was a Compaq PDA with a interface loaded on it. It was crap and too small too read, slow and boot looped all the time. Our new system uses a box with the red plug and a usb to a laptop or PC. Them you download thr program from Honda and it works through it. With periodic updates.

Both MAC and Snap-on supposedly have a system that works with a whole bunch of powersports brands. But ive never seen or used one.

I know on our dirtbikes ( CRF-R) models Honda sells a C.F-ROM with a program and a box that you hook a battery to and turn the pump on because they have no battery. But there was a guy online who hacked a OBD to usb adapter to work on the dirt bike without needing the box Honda has. All you need is the appropriate CD for your bike. That could possibly work on everyhting else but it doesn't have the correct interface for the Pioneer. The bikes are mainly just for tuining. But ive never used one of them either so maybe there is a way to hack it.
hey i have a shop in south carolina and we work on ATV/UTVs do you know where i could get some diagnostic software for honda ATVs/UTVs?

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
hey i have a shop in south carolina and we work on ATV/UTVs do you know where i could get some diagnostic software for honda ATVs/UTVs?
If you want To get your question answered in a timely manor, you need to start a new thread. This thread is from 17’ and the last post was from 19’

Your new here also and first post. I suggest to Do an intro thread and post pics if your pioneer
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

Reactions: Lady01
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!