P1000 Wheel bonnet woes!!

J

JTW

So after finally trying the over the wheel tire bonnet setup in the new enclosed... I have concerns about it.

425E4A27 FA59 4EED BDFB C322C8578C8D
CDF4F8B7 5FA1 41AE AEE7 F7C308A5191E

After leaving Colorado and stopping at @Kilo427 to pick up my truck. I noticed both back tires on the sxs were flat. Now, the tire with the 6 plug gash didn’t surprise me. But the other did. All this got me to thinking though... what happens if your tires go flat on your haul. You’ve now lost your means of attachment. Granted a tire can go flat anyway you strap it. But given the tire is what’s holding the wheel bonnet vs a fixed connection with closed end straps. I’m not really digging the wheel bonnet idea.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after finally trying the over the wheel tire bonnet setup in the new enclosed... I have concerns about it.

View attachment 155684 View attachment 155685

After leaving Colorado and stopping at @Kilo427 to pick up my truck. I noticed both back tires on the sxs were flat. Now, the tire with the 6 plug gash didn’t surprise me. But the other did. All this got me to thinking though... what happens if your tires go flat on your haul. You’ve now lost your means of attachment. Granted a tire can go flat anyway you strap it. But given the tire is what’s holding the wheel bonnet vs a fixed connection with closed end straps. I’m not really digging the wheel bonnet idea.

I see the downside BUT a pair should hold the machine, so what’s the chance 3 tires go flat? I’m paranoid so I check mine anytime I stop which is every few hours with a 15gallon tank for the time being.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agree with @ohanacreek a pair should be fine... most drives will be shorter and if a tire is going flat that fast you should notice it prior ...if your going on a 36 hour straight drive and not stopping to check you could always use a an additional strap(s) to give you some added security.

J

JTW

I see the downside BUT a pair should hold the machine, so what’s the chance 3 tires go flat? I’m paranoid so I check mine anytime I stop which is every few hours with a 15gallon tank for the time being.
I normally check as well... but when it’s in an enclosed you couldn’t see the rear wheels that well, when I did open the door. But at 100 gallons of fuel we were filling up around every 800 miles. That’s a long time in the road.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I normally check as well... but when it’s in an enclosed you couldn’t see the rear wheels that well, when I did open the door. But at 100 gallons of fuel we were filling up around every 800 miles. That’s a long time in the road.

I’m with @Ragnar406 throw a couple extra straps if you’re going 100gallons worth of distance.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Macs are not cheap, but worth it in 100 deg heat strapping down and not fighting them. And i know they will not come loose.
I have the Mac straps you posted the UTV tie downs - it is what I used up until today when I upgraded to the Mac wheel bonnets
9CE42ECE 1D65 4BF6 853B 350FF9DB774D
Like you said not cheap but super quality .

J

JTW

The Macs are not cheap, but worth it in 100 deg heat strapping down and not fighting them. And i know they will not come loose.
You’re not using the Macs wheel bonnets though are you? You’re using the straps linked?

Reactions: BWAF
J

JTW

I have the Mac straps you posted the UTV tie downs - it is what I used up until today when ipugraded to the Mac wheel bonnets
View attachment 155701
Like you said not cheap but super quality .
That’s what Justin had on his... it’s not a matter of the quality or expense. It’s the system in general. I’ve always had my doubts on it. And while I see some merits to wheel bonnets. I’m just not sure my original setup isn’t better.

J

JTW

How many times have you had 2 tires or even one tire go flat on your journey?
This is the first time I’ve ever had flats while traveling. It’s not a matter of that... it’s that if it does happen in the future, how well secured is that sxs? It just got me thinking about it and ease of use. The Macs were easier to use than the Erickson’s I bought.. but mine did great, despite the flats just a little more time consuming and now questionable in terms of actual safety when multiple things do go wrong.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s what Justin had on his... it’s not a matter of the quality or expense. It’s the system in general. I’ve always had my doubts on it. And while I see some merits to wheel bonnets. I’m just not sure my original setup isn’t better.
You are compressing you suspension the way you do above - granted that is the way the manual says to tie down but looking at all the car carriers hauling cars and trucks - majority strap over the wheels where the suspension is able to work... I don’t know which one is right. However should you be tied down the way you show in the open trailer and your tires go flat ... there won’t be any tension on that side strap anyway.

J

JTW

You are compressing you suspension the way you do above - granted that is the way the manual says to tie down but looking at all the car carriers hauling cars and trucks - majority strap over the wheels where the suspension is able to work... I don’t know which one is right. However should you be tied down the way you show in the open trailer and your tires go flat ... there won’t be any tension on that side strap anyway.
There won’t be tension... that’s correct. I agree, and as I said. A flat is a flat. But my point being. If my tires go flat, I still have the machine secured. It might move 6 inches but it should never leave the trailer. Whereas the bonnets could slip off the tire if there is a flat. Mine did fine when the tires were holding. And I liked it initially. But how many here have had the chance to test their means of tie down? I’m just bringing to attention the possibility of failure present with the bonnet system.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I X strap mine to the outer most A arm. Suspension can move and the safety latches will not come loose. Plus no muddy tire to deal with. Got to rip an a arm off to remove the strap. My last trip with the long arm suspension kinda scared me with the front suspension bouncing 10" LOL.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use wheel straps and standard tie downs. Never been on a trip where the wheel straps haven't slipped off.

I think this is going to turn into a Chevy/Ford/Dodge...my Cummins is better argument.

BUT....I’ve NEVER had a wheel strap come off, I do tighten them down so hard they are compressing the tire though.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!