Wheel jacks

F

Fun42

Feb 26, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
New to the site, I just bought a 2021 Talon X. What does everyone use to jack up their sxs to change wheel out on the trails

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome!
Scissor jack, blocks of wood and a cordless impact wrench to quickly raise lower the jack as well as remove lug nuts. A scissor jack leaves a bit to be desired as far as stability but everything is a compromise when you're trying to keep things light and accessible.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the Tusk scissor jack kit, it's been reported to be a little shaky, so pay attention when you're using it. Another option is an RV leveling scissor jack - both have the necessary travel to handle the long droop travel of our SxSs. I preferred the Tusk because it has a specific roll bar mount.

D

DDDonkey

I use an old RV leveling jack with a 4x6 block of wood attached to it, and an impact to raise and lower it at the center of the vehicle. With the block of wood I can jack up a can-am X3 with no issues (both tires off the ground), plus it is a 19mm so I only need one socket to catch out the tires, the leveler (scissor jack) is rated at 5K lbs).

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the Tusk scissor jack kit, it's been reported to be a little shaky, so pay attention when you're using it. Another option is an RV leveling scissor jack - both have the necessary travel to handle the long droop travel of our SxSs. I preferred the Tusk because it has a specific roll bar mount.

I use this jack and it isn't bad for the minimal weight that it is. Front is a little squirrely by the time you use a 2X4 and extend the jack out. I have an R so you can jack it up in the rear at the ball joint. Barely even have to extend it to raise the rear. Jack and collapsible lug wrench stowed away nicely behind diff...

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
If I’m somewhere that I can use the winch to get the flat tire off the ground that’s my first choice. Second is a high lift. I had the Tusk scissor jack. It’s junk. Would barely lift the rear and had to use a wrench to turn the screw. Total garbage along with the Tusk tire iron. It looks cool on your machine until you need to use it. My buddies wouldn’t take it for free with the ROPS mount after watching me use it.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
If I’m somewhere that I can use the winch to get the flat tire off the ground that’s my first choice. Second is a high lift. I had the Tusk scissor jack. It’s junk. Would barely lift the rear and had to use a wrench to turn the screw. Total garbage along with the Tusk tire iron. It looks cool on your machine until you need to use it. My buddies wouldn’t take it for free with the ROPS mount after watching me use it.
Agreed! And when rock crawling, you can always find a big rock to drive up and lift one corner up enough to change a tire without even the winch or anything else.

As far as that Tusk jack, I would never attempt to lift anything more than one corner of a machine with it. Luckily, with my R and the High Clearance Arms up front, I can lift just one tire off the ground and the Jack can do that pretty easily.

Trying to lift the entire front or rear from the middle is futile but that is not what I bought the jack for, I have other equipment for that.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Agreed! And when rock crawling, you can always find a big rock to drive up and lift one corner up enough to change a tire without even the winch or anything else.

As far as that Tusk jack, I would never attempt to lift anything more than one corner of a machine with it. Luckily, with my R and the High Clearance Arms up front, I can lift just one tire off the ground and the Jack can do that pretty easily.

Trying to lift the entire front or rear from the middle is futile but that is not what I bought the jack for, I have other equipment for that.
Yes, agreed, emergency only. I loved it until I used it, in my experience with it the handle bent trying to crank up one 32” rear tire at the ball joint. Of course it was muddy and raining. Then the tusk mini Tri tire iron sheared off. I went to a high lift, It’s heavy and overkill for a sxs. Would be perfect if aluminum.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
New to the site, I just bought a 2021 Talon X. What does everyone use to jack up their sxs to change wheel out on the trails

I always drive onto a hill so the wheels off the ground.

I’ve seen guys carry a steel tripod jackstand and just wedge into the dirt then drive till the machine lifts up.

Reactions: Smitty335
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I use this jack and it isn't bad for the minimal weight that it is. Front is a little squirrely by the time you use a 2X4 and extend the jack out. I have an R so you can jack it up in the rear at the ball joint. Barely even have to extend it to raise the rear. Jack and collapsible lug wrench stowed away nicely behind diff...

View attachment 257398
You always come up with the most cool/useful ideas. Rock on dude!

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
just a heads up on using a Impact Wrench on the Tusk screw jack. It will blow out the main nut threads. I had a lift for sleds using similar system and after about 5 uses, the jack was crap. Can use a power drill, but not an impact.

I carry a 6"x 6" piece of aluminum tubing 5" long with tapped holes that bolt to the jack bottom so won't roll out like a rock will. I store it on flat area on passenger side of engine (held down with the same bolts that I use later to hold it to jack). Otherwise can't get enough lift to get 30" tires off ground on 1000R.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Any opinions or experience with these Tuff Trail Gear JackDaddy jacks? They lift from a modified bolt that replaces the lower shock mount & are locked to the machine once lifted. Seems sturdier than a scissors jack and definitely more lift height as needed, and it seems easier to carry than a HiLift jack. I can see some downfalls such as trouble catching the foot to lift the wheel up, particularly on muddy stuff, but I'm sure that can be overcome easily enough.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Any opinions or experience with these Tuff Trail Gear JackDaddy jacks? They lift from a modified bolt that replaces the lower shock mount & are locked to the machine once lifted. Seems sturdier than a scissors jack and definitely more lift height as needed, and it seems easier to carry than a HiLift jack. I can see some downfalls such as trouble catching the foot to lift the wheel up, particularly on muddy stuff, but I'm sure that can be overcome easily enough.

Looks dandy on video. I too would like to hear from a real time user....

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
While I couldn't find much Honda related info, I did see enough other positive reviews to take the plunge on this jack. In one year or two old vid I watched, they mentioned a 10% discount with code SLIKROK, that code still worked for me and basically covered the tax & the reasonable $10 shipping costs. The rear steel brackets are 1/4" thick, and the included hardware all appears hardened. The foot and pins may rattle once mounted, but they can be removed and stored someplace else without ruining the mount functionality, so that's nice. I'll let you know if the noise is a concern. The mounts themselves are a tight fit around the jack and should be noise free, with a snug o-ring fit hole on the top one, and an adjustable cam-lock clamp on the bottom. I'll get this installed within the next couple days and report back.

This came very well packed; everything was either bagged or boxed or wrapped in order to prevent shipping rash. I couldn't find any scratches, and the anodizing seems very thick.

Jack

This thing is surprisingly light, with mounts, foot, extension, and pins coming in at only 6.6lbs.

Light weight

I got the Tusk extendable breaker bar / lug wrench as a companion tool to carry with. This seems good enough for the girls I go out with, and shoud be able to remove the lug nuts without concern yet still tuck away nicely.

Tus 21 ext utv lug wre kit 2005730001

Last edited:
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
When Weller Racing overhauled my shocks last week, I asked them to install the Jack Daddy jack points since they use the lower shock bolt location, and the shocks were already removed for upgrades. They were happy to do so, and I got the jack mounted to the cage tonight. The rear bracket levers against the shock mount, not the arm; the tab is kinda hidden in shadow in the pic below.

I'm not a big fan of how large the gap is between the bracket pieces, nor how little thread engagement there is. A little blue thread lock should hold it well enough though, and it's only ~6lbs. It seems sturdy enough to do pull-ups on once mounted. I put the jack base in my Milwaukee packout box, otherwise it would rattle some.

The jack slips onto the shock pins easily enough, and getting the hitch pin through to hold it in place is not an issue. Some day soon that isn't Africa hot, I'll test it out on the trail & post up some more. Just roughly measuring in the garage, seems I may need the long extension for the front, and the short one for the rear. They are easy to swap when needed.

Jack 1

Jack 2

Jack 3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!