DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
How many are running front wheel spacers without power steering, and do you find the amount of kick back to be unacceptable? Please list the width as well.

I was planning on running 1.5's front 2.0 rear, but some comments recently make me wonder...
I know the kickback through the steering will be increased, but I figured it was a negligible amount, but now I'm not so sure. I do not have PS, and probably never will.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I saw @trigger mention that he installed Power Steering and spacers and of course now there is no issue. I installed the ITP steel wheels that have a slight offset to the outside, and while not bad, I can feel increased bump steer. I will be hesitant to put spacers up front on my ride.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
How many are running front wheel spacers without power steering, and do you find the amount of kick back to be unacceptable? Please list the width as well.

I was planning on running 1.5's front 2.0 rear, but some comments recently make me wonder...
I know the kickback through the steering will be increased, but I figured it was a negligible amount, but now I'm not so sure. I do not have PS, and probably never will.

Damn, why so wide? I would think 1" on the front and 1.5" on back would be plenty, even with 26's. Without PS you'll feel some bump steer but it's not terrible.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Damn, why so wide? I would think 1" on the front and 1.5" on back would be plenty, even with 26's. Without PS you'll feel some bump steer but it's not terrible.
Is that really that wide? Remember, I'm on stock rear wheels at all 4 corners.
My logic was that I am going up 2" in tire height, so I wanted to widen the machine and make it more stable than stock. That and realistically, the OEM tires are like 23.5's...if that.
But seriously, I am strongly considering 1/1.5" combo instead, and maybe a true 25" tire.

Reactions: trigger and 100Acre
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
what is bump steer?
Technically, it's changes in the steering geometry when the front tires cycle through suspension travel, causing changes in the direction the tires are pointed, having essentially the same effect as turning the steering wheel slightly. Usually only present on poorly designed lift kits these days.

BUT...what everyone here is referring to as "bump steer" is usually called kick-back. Imagine when your tire encounters a rock and attempts to "steer" the vehicle in that direction. You get feedback through steering wheel, usually is in the form of a jolt. The further you move the wheel assembly away from the steering knuckle, the more leverage you essentially give these objects to kick back through the steering wheel.

Reactions: trigger and tomcj2
RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Technically, it's changes in the steering geometry when the front tires cycle through suspension travel, causing changes in the direction the tires are pointed, having essentially the same effect as turning the steering wheel slightly. Usually only present on poorly designed lift kits these days.

BUT...what everyone here is referring to as "bump steer" is usually called kick-back. Imagine when your tire encounters a rock and attempts to "steer" the vehicle in that direction. You get feedback through steering wheel, usually is in the form of a jolt. The further you move the wheel assembly away from the steering knuckle, the more leverage you essentially give these objects to kick back through the steering wheel.
Widening the stance you will be happy with. so With your setup you could do 1 of 2 things that you should like
1 - 1" spacers on back
2 - 1" Spacer on Front 2" on back
But again its all about preference

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 5+2 off

SO, Bump Steer isn't the same thing as cow tipping then.....

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I run 1” front 2” rear, stock wheels, 25” tires. The steering effort did not change by any noticeable amount and I did not see any increase in bump steer. I am very happy this combination.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have the 5+2 off

SO, Bump Steer isn't the same thing as cow tipping then.....
Very clever.
I run 1” front 2” rear, stock wheels, 25” tires. The steering effort did not change by any noticeable amount and I did not see any increase in bump steer. I am very happy this combination.
Thanks for the input. Good to hear...

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada

1" spacers all around, 26" tires, no power steering, and no noticeable change in steering feel at all. If I were to do it again, I'd buy 1" front and 1.5 rear spacers. However, quite happy with what I've got!

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I sure hope there is no bump steer i like to put 1.5" all around with 4 stock rear rims with 27" or 28-10-12.....or use the deluxe rims that i have which is 50" up front and 49" in the rear and maybe get 1.5" and 2.0" for the rear..

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve been slacking on installing the 1.5” spacers I got from @trigger on the rear and moving the 1” I currently have on the rears forward. Since going with the offset rims and 1” spacers on the rear, I didn’t not flop once at the Takeover. I can only imagine, that once I do the switcharoo, it’ll be as stable as can be. Currently all my efforts are going towards leaving for the west, prepping the trailer and Crunchy, plus maintaining farm stuff. The P5 is looking a little lonely sitting in the barn.

B

BCmedic85

Oct 26, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve got 1.5 wheel spacers all the way around without power steering and haven’t noticed any significant difference in the handling or kick back in the steering than with stock.

Reactions: Mudwing
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put 2" spacers on all four corners. Still stock tires/rims. No PS. No locker (not that it matters for this conversation). Sway bar still connected as well.

I was testing it to see what I really gained by doing full lock turns at slowly increasing speeds on flat field grass ground. I had the back end break loose (grass was high and folded over/packed down in the process so definitely some moisture assistance in making it slide out) after adding the spacers before I could get it to lift the inside tires. I'm not saying everyone should go this wide, but I like the extra margin of error for when I turn the controls over to the wife and kiddo.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!