The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
So got a question for you guys regarding troubleshooting my well pressure tank.

I noticed the other day my well pump would cycle on and off 5 or 6 times every time I flushed the toilet. I'm thinking, that seems excessive.

So I go down to my basement, shut off the power to the well pump, shut off the valves between the pump and pressure tank, and the one after the pressure tank so as to isolate it. Gave it a tap, and it sounds empty (fiberglass tank; Pentair Well Mate WM-6). Definitely doesn't sound waterlogged. Drained the pressure tank. Check the pressure and it's 0 psi. Recharge the air pressure to 38psi (40-60 switch), reopened all the valves and turned the well pump back on.

Flushed a toilet again and this time it only cycles about 1.5-2 times. Still seems a bit excessive for a pressure tank that should hold ~20gal of water.

Waited a little bit and recheck the pressure again using the same technique. Pressure is down to 20psi. Schrader valve seems tight. Is it common for these things to develop a pinhole in them? I would think a bladder rupture would result in a full water logging, but it certainly doesn't sound like it.

I guess I'm trying to figure out which direction to go with it before I drop $450+ on a new tank. I want to make sure the old one is truly spent. It's almost 20yo, so it's probably about time.

Thoughts?

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
You need someone to fill your crack or something?
I do the filling.

Dancing boy cowboy

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While you're changing that might as well change your pressure switch and the 1/4" pipe for the pressure switch. They like to get clogged up and cause trouble.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Yea sounds like you need a new tank
Looking like it. I never considered the actual fiber tank cracking, but with Build Back Better's comment and a little Googling, it sounds like that's a common theme with them and I'm actually on the lucky side to get 20 years out of it. I sprayed it down with soapy water and couldn't find any obvious leak (However, I have been drinking this evening, so vision is a little blurry). Regardless, I'll probably just swap everything out before I burn up the pump.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So got a question for you guys regarding troubleshooting my well pressure tank.

I noticed the other day my well pump would cycle on and off 5 or 6 times every time I flushed the toilet. I'm thinking, that seems excessive.

So I go down to my basement, shut off the power to the well pump, shut off the valves between the pump and pressure tank, and the one after the pressure tank so as to isolate it. Gave it a tap, and it sounds empty (fiberglass tank; Pentair Well Mate WM-6). Definitely doesn't sound waterlogged. Drained the pressure tank. Check the pressure and it's 0 psi. Recharge the air pressure to 38psi (40-60 switch), reopened all the valves and turned the well pump back on.

Flushed a toilet again and this time it only cycles about 1.5-2 times. Still seems a bit excessive for a pressure tank that should hold ~20gal of water.

Waited a little bit and recheck the pressure again using the same technique. Pressure is down to 20psi. Schrader valve seems tight. Is it common for these things to develop a pinhole in them? I would think a bladder rupture would result in a full water logging, but it certainly doesn't sound like it.

I guess I'm trying to figure out which direction to go with it before I drop $450+ on a new tank. I want to make sure the old one is truly spent. It's almost 20yo, so it's probably about time.

Thoughts?
I'm no Smitty but, my 2 cents...

Might have a busted bladder inside the pressure tank (NoMo) run the pump and press on the valve stem, if you get water shooting out it's a goner. 20 years is A LOT

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@The Green Goat
I agree with @Blownzuki your PT needs replacing. Those tanks are like extrol tanks on Hot water boilers I work on. Big giveaway sign is when you drained it the pressue was at 0 psi. Thats how we check tanks when there empty, u should have psi in the tank/bladder when its empty. The fiberglass tanks are a biotch to check by knocking on them cuz they really dont give to a positive sound when you knock on them to see if there full or empty.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
@The Green Goat
I agree with @Blownzuki your PT needs replacing. Those tanks are like extrol tanks on Hot water boilers I work on. Big giveaway sign is when you drained it the pressue was at 0 psi. Thats how we check tanks when there empty, u should have psi in the tank/bladder when its empty. The fiberglass tanks are a biotch to check by knocking on them cuz they really dont give to a positive sound when you knock on them to see if there full or empty.
Good to know. Plan is to swap it out here in a few days when my staycation starts.

Figure I might as well go big on the next tank. Current tank is 20gal on a 1/2hp pump. Looking at putting an 86 gal tank in, cause... reasons.

From what I can tell, you really can't go too big on the tank as it will cut down wear and tear on the pump. Plus, having 86 gal of pressured water on hand in case the world ends (or my generator blows up, or pump goes out, or...) sounds like a good idea.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I am an ex-water well contractor (Licensed in Florida 1985 -2000) and (1990 - current) Florida Master Plumber. I currently own and operate a wholesale plumbing and electrical supply store. We are both a Pentair and Goulds stocking distributor. I have a little experience in such matters. A 20 gallon tank on a 1/2 hp pump is adequate. However, there is no downside to having a large well tank. The larger the tank, the fewer times the pump has to start during its life. Most all modern pump motors are rated for continuous duty. It's actually easier on the pump to run than it is to start. When the motor windings don't have time to cool down between cycles, it drastically shortens the life of the motor. Waterlogging (what you described above) is the absolute worst thing for a pump. Install as large a tank as feasible / affordable. Your pump will thank you for it. One other thing, Pentair Wellmate tanks have a 5 year warranty. We have a no questions asked policy if someone brings one back in the warranty period, we exchange it.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yes, they can. If you remove the Schrader valve and water comes out, you've got a bladder leak. No, a box of Depends won't fix that.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If you have water coming out of the Schrader valve, it would be extremely heavy. The water would be on top of the bladder.
Generally true. But if you have a bladder leak, water gets in the bladder. If you then pump up the bladder with air (like @The Green Goat said he did), he could effectively then empty the tank, but still have water in the bladder ... which would come out if you then remove (or open) the Schrader valve. In this case, you'll have water in the bladder but none in the tank above/outside the bladder.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!