P1000 Which Skids??

J

JTW

What's the general consensus on skids?

Which brand is the best bang for your buck?

I've been looking hard at trail armor. Thoughts one way or the other?

Reactions: Smitty335
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I too am looking at trail armor and must decide in the next few months.
I will also be adding a front bash plate like Joey did here -- P1000m5 - Traveller II

46da0548 b903 44d6 b609 e7b4a777a90c jpg15883

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And no one is going aluminum anymore correct? They're louder and not as slick, correct?
Correction. I LOVE my aluminum. Considerably cheaper, thinner, awesome rock protection. Sorry just haven't seen any advantage on the rocks whatsoever. Where I get hung up, guys with plastic get hung up. I agree with the theory but in real world app, it's just not happening. And there have been a couple cases of plastic skids cracking on here. For the money, can't beat the S&S skids in my opinion.

J

JTW

Correction. I LOVE my aluminum. Considerably cheaper, thinner, awesome rock protection. Sorry just haven't seen any advantage on the rocks whatsoever. Where I get hung up, guys with plastic get hung up. I agree with the theory but in real world app, it's just not happening. And there have been a couple cases of plastic skids cracking on here. For the money, can't beat the S&S skids in my opinion.
How about noise?

Reactions: pct
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

He makes a good point. I'm proud of my UHMW but there hasn't been a time where I saw an advantage where we ride.

Reactions: pct and JTW
J

JTW

Interesting.. I've got half a mind to order an 1/8" sheet and weld a steel belly under it..

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Damn @Delton you're making this rough.. I like that S&S a lot. $750 for skids and a-arms is pretty decent too.
I wasn't picking on the uhwm skids at all. They look great and work from what I can see. Just pointing out some inconsistencies in their advertising. Stronger (well yeah. Most 1/2" materials are stronger than 3/16"). Lighter (what better place to have some weight on your rig than down low?) And slicker (have yet to see this).
There's another metal skid out there but can't remember the name. Loved the look of it and had a good price as well. They sell on eBay too. I'll try and find a link.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Damn @Delton you're making this rough.. I like that S&S a lot. $750 for skids and a-arms is pretty decent too.
I have an idea, order a set of s&s and a set from trail armor. You put a set on and I'll put the other on and we can write up a comparison. ;) Since your buying you can chose what set you want to test. :rolleyes:

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Trail Armor and I'm glad that I have something more than the Honda OEM joke of a skid protection. I really don't know what might be the "best" but the UHMW Polyethylene is some tuff stuff that will take a beating! The quality was good and they installed as advertised. I would do it again...

Reactions: JTW and Tigermark

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!