Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What's the general consensus on skids?

Which brand is the best bang for your buck?

I've been looking hard at trail armor. Thoughts one way or the other?
Yea,I ripped the vis queen Honda skid off and installed a Trail Armor system. Don't have to pay $ 100.00 more to up grade to 1/2 that's all they make. I have the whole system. Yea they have come in handy, I ride in a lot of rocks, roots and stumps. They have scars. Word of warning, don't weld a skid plate to your frame, don't straighten a metal skid after removal, you will have to redrill mounting holes.

Reactions: JTW
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Don't drive up on a trailer with a steel pipe hanging off the back also...

IMG 20161130 214440705

J

Jshell3

I bought the rival. I really like them. haven't tested them yet but the footwells are protected and that's great for me and my kids. for the erratic log that can come through .
I'm looking at skids for the upcoming Takeover. You bought these Rivals...
Still happy?
Any damages/repair?
A Arm Guards included?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm looking at skids for the upcoming Takeover. You bought these... still happy? Any damages/repair? A Arm Guards included?
Yes very happy. I did ding a arm gaurd on a boulder under some snow. It saved my arm . I took it off and pounded out the dent. Good as new.

J

Jshell3

Yes very happy. I did ding a arm gaurd on a boulder under some snow. It saved my arm . I took it off and pounded out the dent. Good as new.
Did you have to drill new holes on installation?
How hard was the install?

I've looked hard at the TrailArmor, but the A Arm Guards offer less protection than others.

Plenty of wash out for cleaning?

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One word of warning. I have the rival skids. I use mine almost exclusively in snow. The problem with all the skid plates is that they don't allow the snow out. It gets packed in so tight that it's almost impossible to get out. Only way is to use a pressure washer right away before it turns to ice if left over night. If you pack it in tight and that night it gets really cold, below 0, the snow can stick to the CV boot. When you start up the next morning and take off, it rips the CV boot off.
I've used a replacement boot that is better then the OEM and the snow doesn't stick to it. Must be a different type of rubber.

Reactions: JTW and Jshell3
J

Jshell3

One word of warning. I have the rival skids. I use mine almost exclusively in snow. The problem with all the skid plates is that they don't allow the snow out. It gets packed in so tight that it's almost impossible to get out. Only way is to use a pressure washer right away before it turns to ice if left over night. If you pack it in tight and that night it gets really cold, below 0, the snow can stick to the CV boot. When you start up the next morning and take off, it rips the CV boot off.
I've used a replacement boot that is better then the OEM and the snow doesn't stick to it. Must be a different type of rubber.
Man. Company R&D have it pretty tough... cause something like that - I'd never think of.

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yea it's a always been a problem on all our quads. You have to have good skids because we run in some of the rockiest steep country around but they also cause some problems as I mentioned.

Reactions: JTW and Jshell3
J

Jshell3

Yea it's a always been a problem on all our quads. You have to have good skids because we run in some of the rockiest steep country around but they also cause some problems as I mentioned.
Other than the lack of self cleaning of the packing snow... How have they held up? Would you get again?
Do they do a good job on protection of floor boards?

J

JTW

Good advice!!

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Other than the lack of self cleaning of the packing snow... How have they held up? Would you get again?
Do they do a good job on protection of floor boards?
They work great protecting the undercarriage. They had a little bit more coverage which is why I chose them. I've had Richocet skids on some other units which were very good also.

J

Jshell3

They work great protecting the undercarriage. They had a little bit more coverage which is why I chose them. I've had Richocet skids on some other units which were very good also.
I've owned some Ricochet products on a P500.

Yaz. Was good.

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
Do any of you guys run mud. That is what is mostly around here and I want something that keeps the mud and small rocks from filling up the engine compartment. I know nothing is going to keep it completely out but which skid might do the best. I would rather take the whole skid off to do an oil change then have holes that catch and keep mud

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do any of you guys run mud. That is what is mostly around here and I want something that keeps the mud and small rocks from filling up the engine compartment. I know nothing is going to keep it completely out but which skid might do the best. I would rather take the whole skid off to do an oil change then have holes that catch and keep mud

It's a nice thought to have the whole belly covered to keep the mud out but you really need the air flow up to the exhaust.

I went with the minimal holes approach on mine and when it started getting warm (50f) I needed more air flow. Here's the original
IMG 20161231 124332310

Here's the ventilated update
IMG 20170423 130741648

IMG 20170423 132925000 HDR

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!