P1000 While driving in 4WD, clunk in front diff and goes back into 2WD, any ideas?

MAINEYAK

MAINEYAK

Sep 19, 2016
Maine
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Last weekend I was out on the lake ice fishing, driving halfway across the lake around 30mph through roughly 6" of hard packed snow. I had it in 4wd the whole time, but noticed after a few min that I kept hearing a loud clunk or knock coming from the front diff area, and at the same time it went back into 2wd. At the same time I think it went into limp mode because it wouldn't shift gears. I came to a stop, shifted to 2wd, then back to 4wd and started off again. It shifted, seemed to have 4wd again, and then again a loud knock and back into 2wd. After a couple times of this happening I got a dummy light that looked like gears or something, maybe just the check engine light but it went off after shutting the machine off and starting again. I'm thinking maybe the lever that engages the 4wd within the front diff is either broken, or maybe cable out of adjustment? On a good note I do have the extended warranty and am dropping it off at the dealer, but wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if so, what it could be?

Reactions: DanDan
MAINEYAK

MAINEYAK

Sep 19, 2016
Maine
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm hoping it is something that simple, but I'm afraid it may have done more damage, didn't sound good every time it happened. I found a video where someone had the internal fork bolt inside the diff break that engaged 4wd, and was loose in there, but doesn't seem to be a common problem with these machines. Oh well, hope it's just a cable and no internal damage.

Reactions: DanDan and TripleB
MAINEYAK

MAINEYAK

Sep 19, 2016
Maine
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They said it was a shift lever adjustment and that it was fixed, however a week after I got it back I took it out ice fishing again, driving across the slush covered lake and it started doing the exact same thing again. I haven't really been able to duplicate it on any other terrain, which is super frustrating because I don't think the dealer is able to duplicate it either at their facility. The labor was covered minus the small deductible which I think was $50 dollars. At this point I'm going to run it until something actually lets go so it's obvious to the dealer. I really wish I could find someone who has had the same issue and fixed.

Z

Zaccatdaddy

Feb 28, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
ok thanks just curious. I’m going to buy one on the 27th and I was wondering if this was and on going issue I should be concerned about

MAINEYAK

MAINEYAK

Sep 19, 2016
Maine
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
BUMP to see if anyone else has had this issue yet? I was driving through the woods yesterday in a couple inches of snow and the front end kept popping and kicking in and out of 4wd, hoping to find out what the deal is soon before I take it back to the dealer yet again.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is another thread on a pop, it was the front diff adjustment, can’t remember the thread but read it recently. Not the shift cables but the adjustment at the diff.

Reactions: MAINEYAK
MAINEYAK

MAINEYAK

Sep 19, 2016
Maine
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
PROBLEM RESOLVED! Thanks for the help guys. In my case, even after the dealer claimed to have adjusted the cables, I was having the front diff clunk/pop and slipping in and out of 4WD. I made the adjustment to the end of the 4WD cable at the lever on the front diff, which was loose, tightened the cable nut and took up about 1/4" of slack. It hasn't bothered since. The dealer obviously overlooked this which is frustrating, but glad to have this forum for help and reference. Sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself lol. Happy trails all!

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!