BOX1

P700 White smoke and loss of power

J

joec1056

Nov 19, 2020
Monroe, GA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I bought a 2016 700-4 a few weeks ago and I'm starting to get the feeling I was ripped off... It ran fine during my test drive, but now it gives off white smoke on startup and loses power at times. Seems that when I change gears or its been sitting for a few minuted that I get a bunch of smoke. Enough to wear I can't move it. If I cut if off and back on it will usually work, but this is getting really frustrating. I changed the oil and spark plugs a week or so after I got it home. Any ideas on what the issue could be?

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I'm kinda old school, but in all my experience working on cars, white smoke usually meant a head gasket leaking coolant into the motor. Have you looked at the dipstick to see if the oil looks a little milky?

J

joec1056

Nov 19, 2020
Monroe, GA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm kinda old school, but in all my experience working on cars, white smoke usually meant a head gasket leaking coolant into the motor. Have you looked at the dipstick to see if the oil looks a little milky?
I'll check that out tonight. I think you are probably right about the coolant. The coolant was low when I checked fluids after getting it home, I'll check that again tonight as well. Anyone have any experience replacing the head gasket?

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Another thought, a possibility of a malfunctioning fuel injector or leaking injector seal, but I don't think you would be getting white smoke, if that were the cause.

Maybe @HondaTech is around somewhere to straighten us out.

J

joec1056

Nov 19, 2020
Monroe, GA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just an update, check my fluid levels last night and it looks like it's leaking oil is leaking into the engine because the levels were low. Filled it back up and it ran better. Would it leak from the head gasket too?

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Burning oil will be blue.
You said it smokes are you saying it is coming out the exhaust pipe?

Reactions: ChadD
J

joec1056

Nov 19, 2020
Monroe, GA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Burning oil will be blue.
You said it smokes are you saying it is coming out the exhaust pipe?
Yes, the smoke is coming out of the exhaust pipe. The smoke may be more gray than white, the kind of smoke that just kind of lingers and doesn't dissipate. Happens when I first start the sxs and when it loses power(when I am giving it gas). I should have taken a picture of it last night, I'll do that after work and post it.

I noticed when I changed the top spark plug it was pretty gunked up, I figured it was just really old but could help indicate the problem.

Reactions: ChadD
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
These guys are right in that traditionally, coolant is white, while oil is blue...BUT, larger doses of oil (as in smoke screen) will make the smoke look white/light blue. How does it smell?

If you do a head, make sure you check it for warpage, etc. It might make more sense to just buy new parts, depending on price.

J

joec1056

Nov 19, 2020
Monroe, GA
Ownership

1. 700-4
These guys are right in that traditionally, coolant is white, while oil is blue...BUT, larger doses of oil (as in smoke screen) will make the smoke look white/light blue. How does it smell?

If you do a head, make sure you check it for warpage, etc. It might make more sense to just buy new parts, depending on price.
It doesn't have a sweet smell like people are describing with coolant leaks, more of a pungent odor. Not really sure how to describe it. I'll take some pictures of the smoke tonight, maybe what I'm considering white/gray is more of a blue color. It really spews out quite a bit when I first start the sxs then dissipates and only happens more when I lose power.

Do you think this is something I should be diving into myself or take it somewhere? I don't have much engine experience other than changing oil and standard maintenance type stuff. Just don't want to make it worse.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Might be a dumb question, but have you checked the air filters? For both dirt or mouse houses.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
You indicated that the smoke might be grey. That could mean something. Too much fuel will create grey to black smoke, and foul a plug.
A faulty injector
Plugged inlet filter
something in the fuel???

I'm not saying that @Smitty335 isn't onto something (or on something).

J

joec1056

Nov 19, 2020
Monroe, GA
Ownership

1. 700-4
You indicated that the smoke might be grey. That could mean something. Too much fuel will create grey to black smoke, and foul a plug.
A faulty injector
Plugged inlet filter
something in the fuel???

I'm not saying that @Smitty335 isn't onto something (or on something).
Thanks, how could I diagnose those?

I originally thought water in fuel, so I emptied the fuel tank and put fresh gas in.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Run your finger inside the tailpipe. If you are burning much oil at all it will leave a greasy residue in the exhaust. If it is burning oil my experience has been worn valve seals and or valve stems allow the oil to run down the stem of the exhaust valve and into the cylinder. I've got a 350 rancher that smokes so bad on start up you can't see around it. Once warm its tolerable. Also at times I've thought I killed it and when I pull it apart and clean the carbon build up out of the head it comes back to life. Most of my smoke is coming from worn valve stems but I also have worn rings from constant wot on long road runs.

J

joec1056

Nov 19, 2020
Monroe, GA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Run your finger inside the tailpipe. If you are burning much oil at all it will leave a greasy residue in the exhaust. If it is burning oil my experience has been worn valve seals and or valve stems allow the oil to run down the stem of the exhaust valve and into the cylinder. I've got a 350 rancher that smokes so bad on start up you can't see around it. Once warm its tolerable. Also at times I've thought I killed it and when I pull it apart and clean the carbon build up out of the head it comes back to life. Most of my smoke is coming from worn valve stems but I also have worn rings from constant wot on long road runs.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!