Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Who's going to try to add Live Valve system to a 2019 Talon X or R???
First off who here has driven both types of systems?
Next we need to know if the 2019 models ECM has the capability and or needs to be.
How much are the shocks and are they direct bolt on.

I'm suspecting the parts should be available soon.
Or will Honda do a Live Valve upgrade kit?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I’ve driven both and of course have the live valve. I don’t see there’s a difference worth the time and money to make the switch. If there is it must only manifest itself under extreme riding conditions which I haven’t had the time to get out and see yet. But for general riding through the trails here in NM I can’t tell a difference.

H

HondaTech

Next we need to know if the 2019 models ECM has the capability and or needs to be.

You'll need alot more than just the ECM, all the sensors, wiring harness and maybe more. I believe the shocks themselves retail for over $1k a piece. You'd be money ahead to just trade in and get a live valve.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
You'll need alot more than just the ECM, all the sensors, wiring harness and maybe more. I believe the shocks themselves retail for over $1k a piece. You'd be money ahead to just trade in and get a live valve.
Yep, first time I’ve ever bought the extended warranty on a SXS and it was that which factored the most in my decision.

Reactions: Plumber32
my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
I would rather have a properly tuned suspension than the live valve. Especially with the pricing of the 2019 models, you could get a hell of a ride and still be way under $20k invested!
I wish I would have waited instead of paying full retail a year ago!

H

HondaTech

I would rather have a properly tuned suspension than the live valve. Especially with the pricing of the 2019 models, you could get a hell of a ride and still be way under $20k invested!
I wish I would have waited instead of paying full retail a year ago!

2019 leftovers are so cheap, we were contemplating installing a turbo on 1 and having it for sale back at orginal retail. Haven't got figures together yet, but it would probably work out.

Reactions: Razorback
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’ve driven both and of course have the live valve. I don’t see there’s a difference worth the time and money to make the switch. If there is it must only manifest itself under extreme riding conditions which I haven’t had the time to get out and see yet. But for general riding through the trails here in NM I can’t tell a difference.
I own an R with Shock Therapy springs and have driven a Live Valve (albeit only about 10 miles) and honestly could not feel much difference (without ST springs, it would be quite different). My opinion is that LV is more hype than than function. Cool s*** sells.

And even though the R and X4 have the same turning radius, the X4 felt like driving a bus to me. It was not nimble at all like my R. So maybe comparing an X4 LV to an R is not ideal. Possibly an R with LV might be the cat's meow but we will need to wait and see.

And a steering rack if I remember correctly. There is a steering sensor for LV that will not mount to the R, X or X4 steering rack.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
After the tender spring change and solving the nitrogen issue, I am totally satisfied with how my X rides now. I couldn't imagine what it would take both dollar and work wise to convert a non LV to LV. Zero chance Honda would ever provide such an upgrade as a kit. They'd much rather have you trade for a LV machine.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
After the tender spring change and solving the nitrogen issue, I am totally satisfied with how my X rides now.
On a side note, I too needed to replace my end caps (no nitrogen in the LF). What pressure did you put in when refilling your Nitrogen?

Reactions: TerryH
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It won’t be me! Lol

Reactions: Tramguage1
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
And even though the R and X4 have the same turning radius, the X4 felt like driving a bus to me. It was not nimble at all like my R. So maybe comparing an X4 LV to an R is not ideal. Possibly an R with LV might be the cat's meow but we will need to wait and

That’s about my initial estimation of it so far. BUT, I’ve got a scant 57 miles on it, none of which has given me an opportunity of aggressive riding, been TOO DAMN BUSY, so it may be that the LV is most appreciated during real fast/aggressive riding...🤷‍♂️

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

While I don't know if there is going to be an upgrade option to go to live valve - Fox (and other Shock manufacturers) are coming out with a electronic switch system upgrade so that you don't have to get out to change the clickers

It is only for Can am right now but you know it is only a matter of time

Reactions: Montecresto
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Hey Jackal, when you getting a Talon?

Probably MY 2022

Why the wait?

You'll see 😎 stuff still on the way 🤩

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Too much complexity for this ole guy, give me a simple, well set up Shock Therapy system and be done with it. Look at the electronic complexity on the new motorcycles, in <10 years you won't be able to get parts - there will be no such thing as running vintage bikes, electronic parts will be unobtanium. I used to get wound up about the newest and greatest hot rod whiz bang gadgetry, only to have never-ending reliability issues - screw dat.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Too much complexity for this ole guy, give me a simple, well set up Shock Therapy system and be done with it. Look at the electronic complexity on the new motorcycles, in <10 years you won't be able to get parts - there will be no such thing as running vintage bikes, electronic parts will be unobtanium. I used to get wound up about the newest and greatest hot rod whiz bang gadgetry, only to have never-ending reliability issues - screw dat.
Following suit with your anti- technology position, perhaps your next post will be on parchment, delivered on horseback, and nailed to the notice board on town square.

The most vulnerable technology we all rely on is the electric grid followed closely by computer networks. If anyone is truly going to be "technology independent" they should not be connected to a grid.

That said, when high tech fails in anything we depend on the ability to get it going yourself is extremely hampered if not impossible, especially in the remote off road areas.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Following suit with your anti- technology position, perhaps your next post will be on parchment, delivered on horseback, and nailed to the notice board on town square.

The most vulnerable technology we all rely on is the electric grid followed closely by computer networks. If anyone is truly going to be "technology independent" they should not be connected to a grid.

That said, when high tech fails in anything we depend on the ability to get it going yourself is extremely hampered if not impossible, especially in the remote off road areas.
I understand and agree that tech runs society but there are many thousands of people with nearly unlimited resources making that happen with massive redundancy. My preferred environment is the desert southwest and usually solo - so being able to get something fixed on my own is 'pretty important'. Up until recently that was on a DR650 dual sport motorcycle, not light, not fast, but bullet proof. When tech works, it's cool as hell, when it doesn't I could be in deep doo doo. Also why I bought a Honda and not one of the others, for the reliability.

Last edited:
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just want the colors of the 2021. But thats not hard. I think springs and shock tuning on the 19 and 20 can get them close enough that its not worth the hassle... even if i was in the market for new, im not sure i could justify the added $$$ for live valve

Reactions: Tramguage1
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get that live valve is not going to be for everyone and there is still not a lot of information about real world performance out in a way that one can comprehend the advantages. It is also still early in the technology and will continue to be adjusted.

I for one am excited to see if available and it is the one option I have been waiting for to push me to the talon. Still a lot of unanswered questions to how larger tires affect it and how the sensors compensate for weight etc but if you look at reviews of the system - which has versions on polaris sxs to trucks to mountain bikes the one thing that is consistent is that it is a proven platform.

Can you dial in a set of shocks better for a specific riding place - maybe but most of the adjustments you would do to normal shocks you can do to the Live Valve as well - the advantage of live valve is it is constantly changing compression through broader range of adjustments vs being in one of the 3 clicks - going into a corner - sensors know your speed, pitch, steering angle (and a host of other things) and it adjust your shock on the outside stiffer and inside softer to hold you into that corner... launch in the air - it knows and adjust your shocks firmer. for landing...

@CID should the system fail - your shocks are likely soft or all firm but your still able to get back to the truck.. I agree any tech can fail but tech sure does make life nicer

Just don't think of this as a computer that changes between soft , med, firm because it is so much more..

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!