P500 Why does Florida discriminate!

S

Springypond

Mar 22, 2019
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Just found out from Florida DMV that no titled UTV’s or ATV’s can be registered or allowed on low speed streets or ways even if made street legal! But if you have an untitled golf cart or whatever you can register and title it for limited highway use!
My pioneer 500 with windshield, brake lights, seatbelts, headlights, turn signals, tail lights, roll cage, nets, emergency brake, disc brakes, etc is safer than your average golf cart and you can’t register it! Total BS, government overreach at its finest! Time for the dealers to take a stand!
I live in a development ,35 zone, can drive a golf cart 1.5 miles to the gas station, but not the UTV! BS!

2CDFCB4D CD96 40F8 BECC 6B3474AD689C

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just found out from Florida DMV that no titled UTV’s or ATV’s can be registered or allowed on low speed streets or ways even if made street legal! But if you have an untitled golf cart or whatever you can register and title it for limited highway use!
My pioneer 500 with windshield, brake lights, seatbelts, headlights, turn signals, tail lights, roll cage, nets, emergency brake, disc brakes, etc is safer than your average golf cart and you can’t register it! Total BS, government overreach at its finest! Time for the dealers to take a stand!
I live in a development ,35 zone, can drive a golf cart 1.5 miles to the gas station, but not the UTV! BS!

View attachment 123150
Give it some time. They will come around. The suddden popularity of powerful sxs grew faster than it takes for the law to change.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fight if you want to, but for me it was just easier to register it in South Dakota. Sure it cost me $250-300 to register and $49 per year renewal. In another year or two I may try and register it Florida. If I can great, if not I’ll just I registered in SD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Fight if you want to, but for me it was just easier to register it in South Dakota. Sure it cost me $250-300 to register and $49 per year renewal. In another year or two I may try and register it Florida. If I can great, if not I’ll just I registered in SD

Even if you have SD plates can you legally drive it on FL roads?

S

Springypond

Mar 22, 2019
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
No

Reactions: rtn001 and sharp
S

Springypond

Mar 22, 2019
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the information , what part of Fl?

I’m getting the impression that it’s a bureaucratic rule not necessarily law!
Tks

Reactions: rtn001 and sharp
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

View attachment 123150
What if you called it an 'Agriculture Vehicle' and slapped one of those orange triangle's on the back of it?

Ross1147

Ross1147

Jun 27, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Did you go to a normal tax collectors office or did you go to a DMV compliance office? My wife worked for the DMV in Santa Rosa county for 7+ years and I just asked her that. She said as far as the normal DMV is concerned it’s a no, but they always referred people to the compliance office. There they inspect it to ensure it’s road legal and they issue you tags. Not saying it’s 100% but worth a shot!

Ryan

Reactions: sharp
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yes you can. We have a 1000-5 and do it all the time with absolutely no issues. As long as it has a plate and insurance the LEO’s don’t say or do anything.

There is a Federal Reciprocity law that they have to abide by if they accept Federal highway funds, kinda like your drivers license is legal in al 5 states.

H

HondaTech

My city is the same way, they let golf carts we with no brake lights or headlights drive anywhere downtown.

But I cant take my ATV from my house to my garage 2 blocks away without getting the cops called.

Half the time the golf carts have children in them with no seat belts.

Reactions: rtn001
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My city is the same way, they let golf carts we with no brake lights or headlights drive anywhere downtown.

But I cant take my ATV from my house to my garage 2 blocks away without getting the cops called.

Half the time the golf carts have children in them with no seat belts.
There is a crappy HOA just around the corner from me. I have a friend that lives there. Anytime I visit, I drive my Honda, Sheriff gets called, HOA people get their panties in a bunch and there is absolutely nothing the Sheriff can do! I quite enjoy it.

Reactions: rtn001
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes you can. We have a 1000-5 and do it all the time with absolutely no issues. As long as it has a plate and insurance the LEO’s don’t say or do anything.

There is a Federal Reciprocity law that they have to abide by if they accept Federal highway funds, kinda like your drivers license is legal in al 5 states.

In Texas if you live in the state (permanent residence) you only have 45 days to move vehicle registration and drivers licence. You cannot legally drive a vehicle that you own with out of state tags if your residents is in Texas. This does not apply to active military persons.
from my experience, They will site you and let you go plead you case in municipal court. even if you they dismiss the ticket, your going to pay court cost.
ATV's and UTV's are not legal to drive on public streets in Texas.

I am actively working the farm exemption angle now. It would allow me o drive on streets and roads within a 25 mile radius from my place.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
As stated above, in Florida, it is unlawful to operate a ATV, utv, golf cart or other untaged vehicles on a public roadway which also includes across same. Roadway is defined as property line to property line so you cannot operate one on the shoulder or ditch. The exception is if a city approves a ordnance that sets boundaries of a golf cart area which cannot include any state roadway and operating/safety equipment required. The operator must follow all traffic laws as they apply to automobiles. As I understand it ATV's, Utvs, ect. cannot be modified in any way to be allowed on a street or roadway. SUCKS doesn't it? The carts can be gas, electric or diesel. If you check your owner's manual and stickers applied by Honda you will see that they are not for road use. Again I say it SUCKS.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 123150
Tell the elected officials you are a minority and being discriminated against, they will make the change the law real quick.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

There is a crappy HOA just around the corner from me. I have a friend that lives there. Anytime I visit, I drive my Honda, Sheriff gets called, HOA people get their panties in a bunch and there is absolutely nothing the Sheriff can do! I quite enjoy it.

The neighbor behind us use to do the same when I rode my scooter to work. He'd call the police because I didnt have a plate on it. But in KY you don't need tags, license, or insurance if it's under 50cc or does less than 35 mph.

They eventually got tired of him calling and threatened to charge him with misuse of emergency services.

Reactions: trigger
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As stated above, in Florida, it is unlawful to operate a ATV, utv, golf cart or other untaged vehicles on a public roadway which also includes across same. Roadway is defined as property line to property line so you cannot operate one on the shoulder or ditch. The exception is if a city approves a ordnance that sets boundaries of a golf cart area which cannot include any state roadway and operating/safety equipment required. The operator must follow all traffic laws as they apply to automobiles. As I understand it ATV's, Utvs, ect. cannot be modified in any way to be allowed on a street or roadway. SUCKS doesn't it? The carts can be gas, electric or diesel. If you check your owner's manual and stickers applied by Honda you will see that they are not for road use. Again I say it SUCKS.

Key words in your post is “untagged”.

I live in Hillsborough county (machine registered in SD since 2016) and run the roads in Hillsborough, Pasco, Hernado and Citrus counties and have talked with several different county sheriffs and they have no issue as long as it is titled, registered, plated and insured. No issue in the Oceola national forest or Big Cypress either.

Reactions: Honeybadger39

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!