BOX1

P1000 Wider rears vs. all around

C

Crash14

Nov 26, 2017
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lookin for pros and cons. Wider rear tires vs. same width all around.

Reactions: BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im running 235-75r-15 all the way round 1"spacer on rear so far so good like the thought of being able to rotate . 967a4fa76eb03d8bf4591e15aedbb306B0fbddb8d8a8d8629c7a2005402ade54046f07a2ae0372d9f1903ac701301ba29e37a1ceaf68adab52a38c5184e5de8e

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you go with same size rims, your fronts will be wider by 1 inch each side, if you ride wide open places the width won't hurt you with spacers, where I ride it would be cumbersome,

A

ATM0816

May 30, 2017
North carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the Outlaw 2 28’s, 11 in the rear and 9.5 in the fronts for the past year. We do a lot of deep thick mud riding, and although more traction with the wider tire it adds more weight, especially when caked on with that peanut butter mud. We went with 9.5 all the way around (which will be here Wednesday woot woot) and gonna see how that works out. Also allows for Tire rotation which is nice.

Reactions: BWAF and Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had the Outlaw 2 28’s, 11 in the rear and 9.5 in the fronts for the past year. We do a lot of deep thick mud riding, and although more traction with the wider tire it adds more weight, especially when caked on with that peanut butter mud. We went with 9.5 all the way around (which will be here Wednesday woot woot) and gonna see how that works out. Also allows for Tire rotation which is nice.
I think you will be surprised how well they do. Have fun!

Reactions: ATM0816 and BWAF
A

ATM0816

May 30, 2017
North carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wife got me the 29.5 Outlaw 2’s and I get to put them on before my Busco trip this weekend so I’m pretty stoked. The OL’s are no joke and all my folks will bust on me for having a Honda (all in good fun) but I go through all they do if not more but we all have a blast. Haha

Reactions: Smitty335 and BWAF
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same size all around on aftermarket 14x7 wheel with same offset:

Pros
  • Same size tire.
  • you can rotate them front to back.
  • no need to worry about having right size spare.
  • If going with a large tire they are usually one size anyways.
Cons
  • with factory wheels, they look weird, need spacers on the rear. Another $100
  • Loose wide rear footprint.
  • A little bit harder to steer due to wider front vs 9" front. But you really won't notice this.
  • As listed, Need to buy 4 wheels all same size.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
There is a reason that all these machines come with wider tires on the back. Gives more contact with the ground for the drive wheels and provides a little flotation in the sand. Skinny tires dig especially in snow and sand and that's not always a benefit. Any width of spare will work, usually a front, it's just there to get you through until the flat is repaired. As for rotation, unless you do a lot of pavement riding, I don't see the need. Wonder how many guys running the same size have actually rotated their tires? o_O

oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have once in 7400 miles. Had to dismount and remount. Most of my riding is on pavement and logging roads. I am running Maxis Bighorn lite truck tire and the wear front to rear is pretty even.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a reason that all these machines come with wider tires on the back. Gives more contact with the ground for the drive wheels and provides a little flotation in the sand. Skinny tires dig especially in snow and sand and that's not always a benefit. Any width of spare will work, usually a front, it's just there to get you through until the flat is repaired. As for rotation, unless you do a lot of pavement riding, I don't see the need. Wonder how many guys running the same size have actually rotated their tires? o_O
Only 300 miles on mine I'll let you know

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

‍♂️ I rotate mine every 500 miles or so. I ride a lot of gravel roads. Wear has been pretty even though anyway. My tires won't float like some but I can air them down if I need to. Yes any spare the same diameter will do but if I'm out riding at royal blue, or Colorado or Utah and destroy a tire it's nice to have a spare that will replace any of them. I may not be able to repair and a replacement is likely not an option out there.

To the OP, you'll have to decide what that extra 1-2" of tire width on the rear is worth to ya. I run the same tire on all 4 and haven't been left behind yet. Just pick whatever suits ya.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: trigger and BWAF

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
While those are side benefits, the reason for the wider tires in the rear is one of simple physics. Since these types of machines are extremely rear weight biased, there are only two options for tire size/pressure: If your front and rear tires have the same interior cubic inch volume, the rears would require more PSI to support the weight. This would make for poor traction, a rough ride, and premature wheel bearing and suspension component wear due to less tire flex. If your rear tires have more interior cubic inch volume the the fronts, they can support more weight at the same PSI than the front tires - preserving traction, ride quality, and bearing/suspension life. But I dunno...I've had a few beers. I never took a physics class. I just like the concept.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While those are side benefits, the reason for the wider tires in the rear is one of simple physics. Since these types of machines are extremely rear weight biased, there are only two options for tire size/pressure: If your front and rear tires have the same interior cubic inch volume, the rears would require more PSI to support the weight. This would make for poor traction, a rough ride, and premature wheel bearing and suspension component wear due to less tire flex. If your rear tires have more interior cubic inch volume the the fronts, they can support more weight at the same PSI than the front tires - preserving traction, ride quality, and bearing/suspension life. But I dunno...I've had a few beers. I never took a physics class. I just like the concept.
I can see that but stock

Honda recommended COLD pressure levels:
Front: 10 PSI (70 kPa), Under heavy load maintain 10 PSI in front tires.
Rear: 12 PSI (80 kPa), Under heavy load maxim 18 PSI (120 kPa)

I'm running 8 in front 11 in back on my truck tires the ride I lost was from tires being made so much heavier made .but I should never worry about a flat, it's a trade off where you ride and what you want .

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I can see that but stock

Honda recommended COLD pressure levels:
Front: 10 PSI (70 kPa), Under heavy load maintain 10 PSI in front tires.
Rear: 12 PSI (80 kPa), Under heavy load maxim 18 PSI (120 kPa)

I'm running 8 in front 11 in back on my truck tires the ride I lost was from tires being made so much heavier made .but I should never worry about a flat, it's a trade off where you ride and what you want .

Without doing all the math, I'd say you're in a good range. Bigger tire means more sq.in. contact patch which means you should use less psig.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!