JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Backstory:

My 2003 Rancher 350 ran low of oil, lost compression, and died. Completely my fault.
I turned to Hondasxs forum for help. Got plenty of troubleshooting tips from the members.

You need to pick up the story HERE...
Read it (Before you vote)
350 Rancher Engine problems

At the present, I have not got it completely back together, but should with 6 hours or so (Friday night)

I’ll post the result on this thread.

Pros and Cons:

Pros
  • It’s a Honda, bulletproof right?
  • YouTube (this video by Partzilla) gave me step by step instructions
  • Hondasxs expert members were engaged throughout the process

Cons
  • I don’t know what I’m doing.
  • I used aftermarket parts
  • There’s a huge hunk of piston still missing down in the case

I’m 50/50 on it, myself.
I can tell you this... no matter the outcome, I’m not taking it back apart, again.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Giphy 3

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 1st rebuild was on a Briggs and Stratton riding mower when I was like 12. Well...sort of. Turns out...after it was too late, the cover was b/s, but the engine was actually Tecumseh. It's a miracle the b/s parts actually fit and ran. Smoked like hell, though.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Ok,,so we are telling engine rebuild stories now?
When I was bearly 16, full of dreams and aspirations but not much else I bought a 71 Fiat 850 Spider from a mechanics lean sale.
The head was off with all the parts thrown in the passenger foot well.
I reassembled the engine and got it running.
Whent for a test drive around the block, when I got to the stop sign half a block from the house I pushed the clutch in and the engine seized.
Walked back to the house and had Dad come help me tow it back to the house.

Turns out the mechanic had instaled new cam bearings but the center one was miss set.
Oil gallery passed threw the center bearing going to the head so lack of oil made the rocker arms seize.
Once the engine was out Dad helped me rebuild the lower end as well.
Drove that car to for a couple of years after that.

Funny follow up.
In 2006 I bought a 1st generation Honda Insight, the funny looking 2 seater.
Guess I still like quercky small cars.
I took it over to let Dad drive it, at the stop sign at the end of the block the engine shuts off and I'm explaining the whole auto stop thing.
Dad looks at me and says "just like the Fiat".

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
It sounded like a little tick, like the valves needed adjusting. It also sounded like it was spinning over fast when cranking so compression might be low, tight valve maybe? I would recheck rocker arm adjustments and cam timing.

H

HondaTech

It sounded like a little tick, like the valves needed adjusting. It also sounded like it was spinning over fast when cranking so compression might be low, tight valve maybe? I would recheck rocker arm adjustments and cam timing.

It wouldn't idle long enough for me to hear, but it sounded like it has a wrist pin knock to me.

Could just be the audio as well.

Reactions: JsheII3 and JTW
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hate to sound like a debbie downer, but that thing still sounds rough.
No Debbie downer worries here. I agree. It was better before repair.

I ordered a carb boot/intake because is suspect it’s got a vacuum leak. Choking it makes it rev like crazy.

So I lied about NOT taking it apart again. Well, just not all the way.

Last edited:
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I ordered and installed new valves. I didn’t set them or check them. Just bolted it on as they were.
I still don’t know what/ how to check the cam.
So It’s far from tuned. Granted.

But seems better today than it did when I first cranked it. I mean it will idle on its own.

And it does much better after warming up.

Imma keep tinkering with it.
I appreciate all your help.

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just an update...

Since rebuild, I've changed the oil 2 times. Oil looks good.

The biggest news, probably, is that I realized that I installed the carb boot UPSIDE DOWN, meaning it wasn't lined up w/ the intake in the cylinder head. I didn't realize it...but that hole in the intake boot isn't centered, so the holes were about 30% misaligned. You can lightly see the reminisce of residue from the incorrect install.
E55C5E13 713B 4031 8E31 224F60368F9F

(That and the O ring was missing.)

B54BE5F2 5AE5 4DDF A27D 77E880A8FDFC

I've got about 12 hours on it since rebuild... and it's not missed a lick. In fact, it's got more power than it used to. And I'm thinking that piston wall missing, might have been ground down, rather than broken off.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!