Winch Options

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Warn Axon 45. The thing I like best about it is the setup. Positive and negative leads to power source and key on power wire. That’s all it takes to have it up and running. No solenoids to mess with. The rocker switch also comes with a plug instead of a five pin setup. Pretty much a plug and play system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
Warn Axon 45. The thing I like best about it is the setup. Positive and negative leads to power source and key on power wire. That’s all it takes to have it up and running. No solenoids to mess with. The rocker switch also comes with a plug instead of a five pin setup. Pretty much a plug and play system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks that is good to know. I do like simplicity!

C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
Anyone using the Viper Winch? Id like to hear some actual reviews. I like the price and the wireless remote option. Will i need to buy a rocker switch to put inside since it seems like all of these have a handle bar mounted switch?

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone using the Viper Winch? Id like to hear some actual reviews. I like the price and the wireless remote option. Will i need to buy a rocker switch to put inside since it seems like all of these have a handle bar mounted switch?
Comes with everything you need including a rocker switch. Reviews can be read at the bottom.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can tell you that a champion 3500 with synthetic rope sucks. I have used mine twice. The first time I was buried to the frame and required a snatch block with multiple stops and constant machine wheel turning in 4wd loc to get my 1000-5 out of a 5 ft long rut. Second time I used it I was stuck on top of nasty sticky mud that made my tires slicks. No snatch block that time but still super struggled.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why is that? The rig is only ~1000lbs. I was thinking 3500 would be more than enough? Thanks - Chris
I didn’t see you say what you are trying to winch, a pioneer 1K5 is ~1700 lbs before accessories for example. The winch rating is not even across the length of the pull and is only the max rating at the optimal cable wraps on the spool. So up sizing allows more flexibility/ pulling power without the need for snatch blocks. I did the Viper 6k wide spool on my P1K5. No issues, easy install.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Why is that? The rig is only ~1000lbs. I was thinking 3500 would be more than enough? Thanks - Chris

I didn’t see you say what you are trying to winch, a pioneer 1K5 is ~1700 lbs before accessories for example. The winch rating is not even across the length of the pull and is only the max rating at the optimal cable wraps on the spool. So up sizing allows more flexibility/ pulling power without the need for snatch blocks. I did the Viper 6k wide spool on my P1K5. No issues, easy install.
The dealer installed a 3500 lb. in my Talon (I swear I was told 4500 but nothing was written down). The only time I needed it, the guy in front of me broke thru the snow crust, dropping into 4 tire sized holes. The 3500 couldn't pull hard enough to pull the tires thru the snow crust and I was below him, so pulling slightly downhill.

The kinetic rope did the trick.

A Viper 6K is on my wish list.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Look in the manual. The weight is much more than that, then add the weight of fat girls and boys, beer and ice, then all the other stuff your adding and you'll be around 22 to 2400lb.s Then add the two other killers, up hill and mud. Double or almost triple everything. Read up on winch recovery. It's all a math formula about your weight, incline and how deep your buried as to how much force is required to pull your drunk ass out. And drunks never like to walk, kills the buzz.

C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
Look in the manual. The weight is much more than that, then add the weight of fat girls and boys, beer and ice, then all the other stuff your adding and you'll be around 22 to 2400lb.s Then add the two other killers, up hill and mud. Double or almost triple everything. Read up on winch recovery. It's all a math formula about your weight, incline and how deep your buried as to how much force is required to pull your drunk ass out. And drunks never like to walk, kills the buzz.
Lol thanks. I have some knowledge on winches as my Jeep has one. Its not much more to go to a 4500lb winch so i will probably go ahead and go up one more step. You guys convinced me! Thanks for spending my money. Ha ha

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do not use a 3500. I have a 1000-5, I had the original logic of the machine weighs 1700lbs right? I doubled it and got a 3500. It's not enough. Also, my machine weighs 2200lbs with just me in it.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!