P500 Winch recommendations

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I am new here and relatively new to the SXS experience. Had my Pioneer 500 less than a year and really enjoy it. I have decided I want to add a winch. I have some past work with winches but never on a SXS. I have seen the recommendation to multiply vehicle weight by 1.5 to figure what size winch to get. That seems simple enough but I an asking those with experience to give opinions on what I need. We do not do heavy mudding or very challenging trails. My wife and I are both mid 60's so those days are behind us. We ride easy trails and I use it for hunting so I might want to winch a deer off the ground. I try hard to avoind getting stuck or high centered.
Anyone got something to help me get started?

J

JTW

With the 500 you can use a terra 35.. and I would add synthetic rope after. You can get it on amazon for $25.

Now... I would highly suggest a top mount bumper like the strongmade. You will like it!
3853E8F4 B507 4EA0 91C0 84AB3883AFE7
0B5AFB6B BB24 437E AEBD 87C02A561333

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
My recommendation for you is quality and dependability without breaking the bank or getting more than you need so I like this...
17DC38C9 1F94 4F11 A343 F06F97008295 BDA647D2 7B05 4FB9 94FF DA523BA44657

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
3500 is a good size. Caution on going too big so as not to exceed limits of the least strong mounting conponent, or a front wheel suspension if hung up on something solid. Good luck, many choices.
PS. Those aftermarket wireless remotes for $15 are convenient.

P500 - Post your front bumper/winch mount pics.

Last edited:
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
would get the terra 35. never know when you run over the stump you didn't see or mud that didn't look so deep. and bigger deal in a utv if your by yourself. would keep a doubling pulley they are aren't that much and much better to have and not need it. some quads ive had max out single line 3500 in the mud.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
You have plenty of good recommendations and would only add the following comments. I would recommend going with synthetic rope vs. wire. The rope does require some “care” but is proven safer, it’s lighter weight, and doesn’t store energy like steel; that is, when a steel cable breaks it can become unpredictable and it may be coming back at you. Likewise, I would go ahead and pick up another synthetic rope (light weight) and store it on the Pioneer, so if you get stuck and need to reach out further, you have another 50’…. Example is shown here.

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
2F553F6B F95E 45F4 9AAD 36E3176AEDCC
5B013A5E CE5C 4E22 B592 A3126A8D48E3
A735F2BB 3A08 4B28 98D8 B5ECBE5E963B
I had to clear a logging road to a ladder stand early last fall. All I had with me was my chainsaw and P5 with the Terra 35 which I had changed the cable to the 3/16 rope. I had to winch some log up over a fairly steep bank. While winching and stomping the brake pedal with all l had, it was skidding the P5 toward the log, but at the same time, the log was coming. At one time while winching,I reached over to close the door, but it wouldn’t latch due to the frame bowing. The winch was trying to pick the back wheels off the ground! Just amazed me how strong the winch and little rope is! Wish l had video, but l was alone.

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 103917 View attachment 103918 View attachment 103919 I had to clear a logging road to a ladder stand early last fall. All I had with me was my chainsaw and P5 with the Terra 35 which I had changed the cable to the 3/16 rope. I had to winch some log up over a fairly steep bank. While winching and stomping the brake pedal with all l had, it was skidding the P5 toward the log, but at the same time, the log was coming. At one time while winching,I reached over to close the door, but it wouldn’t latch due to the frame bowing. The winch was trying to pick the back wheels off the ground! Just amazed me how strong the winch and little rope is! Wish l had video, but l was alone.
View attachment 103917 View attachment 103918 View attachment 103919 I had to clear a logging road to a ladder stand early last fall. All I had with me was my chainsaw and P5 with the Terra 35 which I had changed the cable to the 3/16 rope. I had to winch some log up over a fairly steep bank. While winching and stomping the brake pedal with all l had, it was skidding the P5 toward the log, but at the same time, the log was coming. At one time while winching,I reached over to close the door, but it wouldn’t latch due to the frame bowing. The winch was trying to pick the back wheels off the ground! Just amazed me how strong the winch and little rope is! Wish l had video, but l was alone.

I am getting a lot of great suggestions. I had already decided to go with the synthetic rope. Past experience with vehicle winches and the wires sticking makes them sometimes a real pain to use even with gloves. I also have seen a cable snap and the whip effect was real dangerous. I already carry a 60 foot recovery strap on the 500. I intend to start carrying the chainsaw as i have had to turn around quite a few times already because of blowdowns.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I am getting a lot of great suggestions. I had already decided to go with the synthetic rope. Past experience with vehicle winches and the wires sticking makes them sometimes a real pain to use even with gloves. I also have seen a cable snap and the whip effect was real dangerous. I already carry a 60 foot recovery strap on the 500. I intend to start carrying the chainsaw as i have had to turn around quite a few times already because of blowdowns.
Not to go too far from the original post, but it does sound like you travel out there a bit and sounds like you are prepared including and not limited to emergency personal gear but would include a full set of fuses for the Honda Pioneer and a new spark plug as well....

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
Not to go too far from the original post, but it does sound like you travel out there a bit and sounds like you are prepared including and not limited to emergency personal gear but would include a full set of fuses for the Honda Pioneer and a new spark plug as well....
I had thought about a spare plug as with other ATVs I had problems with fouled plugs. Not Honda by the way. But plugs are cheap and easy to carry and replace. Fuses I had not thought of. I will look into that. Does the 500 have a problem with fuses???

We do sometimes get a long ways from the truck so being prepared is a necessity. It is easy to get in a bind accidentally and where we ride cell service is terrible and you can ride all day and never see anyone.

Reactions: Gassygordo
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I had the Terra 35 with KFI mount great system. Used the T35 lots for ploughing snow and started to make more noise in reverse so upgraded to Terra 45 with synthetic winchline. I always leave on my machine, 4 compact snatch blocks, 1 extra synthetic winch line (100 ft) and 150ft of quality high strength rope. In addition a variety of straps to rig up the snatch blocks and quick clevises. Stuff takes no room to store and has gotten me out of significant snarls...
Get the T45, it’s higher rated AND uses less energy in amps then the T35, (check the specs) the minimal cost differential is worth it.
j

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I got another question. It seems several prefer the KFI mount. Is there some specific reason for selecting this mount over a Superwinch mount or another brand? I have looked at those online but did not see anything but then again I have not had one in hand and definitely not used it.

I really appreciate all the great responses and recommendations.

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I had the Terra 35 with KFI mount great system. Used the T35 lots for ploughing snow and started to make more noise in reverse so upgraded to Terra 45 with synthetic winchline. I always leave on my machine, 4 compact snatch blocks, 1 extra synthetic winch line (100 ft) and 150ft of quality high strength rope. In addition a variety of straps to rig up the snatch blocks and quick clevises. Stuff takes no room to store and has gotten me out of significant snarls...
Get the T45, it’s higher rated AND uses less energy in amps then the T35, (check the specs) the minimal cost differential is worth it.
j
I did check the specs and you are spot on about the amps draw. That is kind of odd. To get a lower draw you would have to go to the T25.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Sometimes have to push/bump trees, so opted for the Strongmade bumper and just mounted on top. Pretty solid.

Reactions: JTW
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I went with KFI for winch mount, 66” snow blade and mount. Top drawer products I think and also supporting North American products. The Super Winch Terra series when I researched, indicated greater power, generally less amp draw, waterproof. I used the T35 through hundreds of cycles for snow ploughing, (and felt I got my monies worth) still works great just that it got noisier then when new. As I use my P5 for work first, T45 replacement made sense. Often I’m in the middle of no where, no cell, out of radio range, by myself so it’s got to be reliable.
j

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I have another question. Any pointers or suggestions on wiring in to the battery? I have read to drop the skid plate and follow the wires along the frame and that sounds good. I wonder what others have done or any problems or things to look out for. I intend to wrap everything in protective wire wrap and shrink tube all connections.

Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!