Window tow cover

M

mikesminitrail

Dec 2, 2015
Has anybody made a window cover for the front of the lexan window when I tow my side by side in the summer it gets so full of bugs that it has to be cleaned all the time and I don't like cleaning the lexan windows because they scratch so easy I searched and could not find an aftermarket company that had one made already just wondering if I'm the only one with this problem

www.mikesminitrail.com
[email protected]

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Never seen what you describe. I just remove my windshield while towing, seems to pull easier that way. Why not just use a small tarp or blanket?

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You could find another piece of lexan or other material and drill a few holes and place suction cups to hold it in place

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I"m with @Tflynn on this one, if I'm towing it far I always but the windshield in the bed of my truck. I dont think I'd put anything over it that will flap in the wind like a tarp though, that would most likey scuff the wind shield.

Reactions: Tflynn and sharp
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could buy some mylar windshield tear offs. Works for NASCAR at 200mph.

Reactions: Ridgeb56
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I tow mine with the 2 piece window, I put a rope around the bottom of the upper section to keep it from coming up on accident. I have never covered it, but when I do take it off, I made a bag to put it in out of some cheap harbor freight moving blankets sewn together. Might be something to consider to cover it with. I don't think they should scratch it. I'm like everyone else though, it sure tows alot harder with the windshield on. I have a 07 cummins pickup and it makes it kind or grunt to tow it. It's not a 12v like @CumminsPusher though. So that might be why.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
When I tow mine with the 2 piece window, I put a rope around the bottom of the upper section to keep it from coming up on accident. I have never covered it, but when I do take it off, I made a bag to put it in out of some cheap harbor freight moving blankets sewn together. Might be something to consider to cover it with. I don't think they should scratch it. I'm like everyone else though, it sure tows alot harder with the windshield on. I have a 07 cummins pickup and it makes it kind or grunt to tow it. It's not a 12v like @CumminsPusher though. So that might be why.

Hey now I honestly don't know if I believe you that an 07 would feel a windshield. There's lots of power there I think it's in your mind lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife made this for our P1K glass windshield. It is 1/2" foam insulation from Lowes on the inside. We bought some marine vinyl from Jo-Anns like this:

Marine Vinyl | Jo-Ann

We used a couple of tie-down straps. She sewed the whole thing together and left an opening to replace the foam if needed, which velcros shut. The straps have loops on the ends which we used bungee cords to hold it on. So far it has worked great, even doing speeds that legally aren't allowed :D

It also keeps the overnight frost off the windshield during hunting and camping trips in the fall/winter.

20160709 213451

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't think they should scratch it. I'm like everyone else though, it sure tows alot harder with the windshield on. I have a 07 cummins pickup and it makes it kind or grunt to tow it. It's not a 12v like @CumminsPusher though. So that might be why.

I don't notice any difference with my 2009 F-150 5.4L V8. Sure, towing a 2200LB trailer with a 1700LB machine definitely is noticeable, but I don't notice any drag from the windshield.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
G

gokorn1

Apr 20, 2015
I found a piece of foam that is used to cover auto body parts. Its basically thing foam with a strong plastic/vinyl backing. I just it to fit and used some non marking tap to hold it over.You could probably go down to a body shop and pick up a large section for free

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife made this for our P1K glass windshield. It is 1/2" foam insulation from Lowes on the inside. We bought some marine vinyl from Jo-Anns like this:

Marine Vinyl | Jo-Ann

We used a couple of tie-down straps. She sewed the whole thing together and left an opening to replace the foam if needed, which velcros shut. The straps have loops on the ends which we used bungee cords to hold it on. So far it has worked great, even doing speeds that legally aren't allowed :D

It also keeps the overnight frost off the windshield during hunting and camping trips in the fall/winter.

View attachment 28577

I have been thinking of having something like this made for all the reasons you listed. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!