BOX1

P1000 Windshield and Weather Question

J

JimB1055

Nov 20, 2018
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I currently have a 2017 Pioneer 1000 LE and wanted to ask a question about windshields and how well do they stop the cold. My 1000 has a factory roof and I was thinking about purchasing a windshield for winter use. Without one its too cold for winter use in East Tennessee (IMHO). Before I sprang for a windshield, I wanted to know if the windshield and roof would block enough of the wind to allow speeds of 25mph or so without freezing or would the swirling wind just get me from another direction. Wife is pushing back on the windshield idea and the last thing I want to do is to get one and have it not work out. I just can't take the "I told you so's". Any help would be appreciated.

IMG 3413

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I currently have a 2017 Pioneer 1000 LE and wanted to ask a question about windshields and how well do they stop the cold. My 1000 has a factory roof and I was thinking about purchasing a windshield for winter use. Without one its too cold for winter use in East Tennessee (IMHO). Before I sprang for a windshield, I wanted to know if the windshield and roof would block enough of the wind to allow speeds of 25mph or so without freezing or would the swirling wind just get me from another direction. Wife is pushing back on the windshield idea and the last thing I want to do is to get one and have it not work out. I just can't take the "I told you so's". Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 191948
I have a different top/windshield but mine definitely helps a lot. Not sure if it will meet your standard, but it surely helps, esp. when you get a little engine heat!

Reactions: CID and Haldog77

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the Honda hardcoat poly windshield and it definitely helps in cold weather because it stops the blast of cold air to the face and it also has the effect of creating a vacuum in the cab which pulls in some engine heat through the seat. Factory Honda shield leaks water though so I'd get an aftermarket one instead of Honda's afterthought.

Reactions: Isaiah
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 191948
I've got the honda top on my 3 seater. I bought a used honda glass windshield and run it for 1 months during deer season. Seen it was gonna be too hot come summertime so when superatv had there black Friday sale, I got their flip up windshield. The combo works fine for winter riding as long as u have coveralls. I've road atvs my whole life until the last 2 years. So I think it's great against the cold. It will never be like a truck cab even if u had the doors and rear panel. I almost forgot, u will need the rear panel also. 1st time I rode it in the cold on a dusty road, I started tasting dust even though I was following nobody. U get a dust vortex with the top and windshield without the rear panel. Everything I had up front was covered in dust. Dust can be controlled with windshield flipped up during warm rides. North Cumberland and windrock are the only places I ride.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
I would definitely recommend a windshield and rear panel. Game changer if you don’t have one in the cooler weather and rain. If you want to ride much in the winter I’d splurge for some doors too. I have the SuperATV windshield, Honda hard roof, Honda rear panel, and Honda soft doors. Anything that knocks some wind/air off you makes a huge difference. I definitely wouldn’t have one without a windshield. I’ve ridden the last two nights with temps in the upper 40’s in a T-shirt.

A82c57a90f7821d02d62265f3b8b9817

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L

Lewy44

Aug 4, 2020
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would definitely recommend a windshield and rear panel. Game changer if you don’t have one in the cooler weather and rain. If you want to ride much in the winter I’d splurge for some doors too. I have the SuperATV windshield, Honda hard roof, Honda rear panel, and Honda soft doors. Anything that knocks some wind/air off you makes a huge difference. I definitely wouldn’t have one without a windshield. I’ve ridden the last two nights with temps in the upper 40’s in a T-shirt.

View attachment 191958

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you have to modify your Honda fabric doors to fit with the SATV windshield?
I’m currently looking to add doors to my 2020 1k5 Deluxe.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
have the Honda hardcoat poly 2 piece it works great in the winter.
20190120 101407

Last edited:
R

rickoshea

i run the soft bimini,poly full windshield and soft mid panel and i can run around for hours.doors are for sissies.tell the wife either the windshield or a full face helmet.pick your poison.i also have to dress for the cold up here.
20200331 135048

Youngster

Youngster

May 11, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the two piece hard coat Honda windshield($900CDN). I am in Canada where cold is a norm in winter. Windshield works well. After coming home after and evening hunt it is easy to do 40 mph on the roads without getting too cold. I could not survive without it. I have some bush scratches that can make visibility and issue at times. Not sure how to get them out? I have tried a few products but none have taken the scratches out yet.

R

rickoshea

I have the two piece hard coat Honda windshield($900CDN). I am in Canada where cold is a norm in winter. Windshield works well. After coming home after and evening hunt it is easy to do 40 mph on the roads without getting too cold. I could not survive without it. I have some bush scratches that can make visibility and issue at times. Not sure how to get them out? I have tried a few products but none have taken the scratches out yet.
i have the same one for my summer time windshield.the lower half isn't hardcoat.i gave up trying to fix scratches on the upper.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm a cold wimp so a windshield is mandatory for me even though I wear a full coverage motorcycle street helmet. I love the SuperATV flip up, the handle is right there and easy to flip up/down.

Both camera mounts.
I KbChV8M L

I don't have a significant other complaining at me though so I can't speak to that.
I ScJ594Q

Dlm456

Dlm456

Aug 25, 2019
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will say the windshield will help but if you combine that with a rear panel, even the soft honda panel, it will be much better. I have the honda soft rear, and with that up and the windshield, and a layer or two of clothing, I think it works great.. Obviously not as well as an enclosed cab, but pretty well. Without the rear panel, you will get the cold air swirling around the windshield right back on you.

Youngster

Youngster

May 11, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am thinking of getting the rear panel. I can see how this would help. Does it do anything to the dust? Right now riding gravel roads the dust is horrible. It is so bad after one trip I cant even read my speedo!:eek:

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am thinking of getting the rear panel. I can see how this would help. Does it do anything to the dust? Right now riding gravel roads the dust is horrible. It is so bad after one trip I cant even read my speedo!:eek:
The consensus seems to be the mid/rear panels to help with the dust. Seems many think they are a must when putting a full windshield on.

R

rickoshea

welcome to the wonderful world of sxs's.lose the windshield or add the rear panel,then you can complain about the heat. lol.dust is unavoidable and non negotiable.you think dust is bad ? try a grass field. you wouldn't believe the mess i had to clean after ripping around in this.i'll take dust over pollen/grass seeds any day.

20200706 094257

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
welcome to the wonderful world of sxs's.lose the windshield or add the rear panel,then you can complain about the heat. lol.dust is unavoidable and non negotiable.you think dust is bad ? try a grass field. you wouldn't believe the mess i had to clean after ripping around in this.i'll take dust over pollen/grass seeds any day.

View attachment 226308
:oops:

Out here in the western states, if we tore that up in anything motorized, they'd put us in jail and throw away the key - they're real b****y about leaving fresh tracks anywhere, we have to stay on the trail. I'm good with that, it takes decades for torn up desert terrain to recover from tire tracks and with our population density, they would be everywhere.

Reactions: Mudwing
R

rickoshea

:oops:

Out here in the western states, if we tore that up in anything motorized, they'd put us in jail and throw away the key - they're real b****y about leaving fresh tracks anywhere, we have to stay on the trail. I'm good with that, it takes decades for torn up desert terrain to recover from tire tracks and with our population density, they would be everywhere.
around here it's the wild west.respect the ranchers land and don't harass the cattle and they leave you be.close any gates you pass through,respect the xc skiers and the trails in the winter,and if it's crown land,have at it.same with forest service/logging roads. we are really blessed.no such thing as restricted trails.there is a helmet law,but nobody really enforces it.we do have to register our machines and carry liability ins. if we're not riding on private land,no big deal.

CRob8348

CRob8348

Dec 12, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the Honda soft top/rear panel combo and SuperATV 1 piece windshield, non hard coat. Huge mistake on the non hard coat windshield. Its scratched up pretty good, almost impossible to see out of going into the sun at certain times. I'm upgrading to the flip windshield. Other than that, no complaints here. Its a SxS and we don't ride pavement, expect dust!!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!