BOX1

P1000 Windshield brace

D

Dasmoeturhead

My Honda plastic split windshield flops around when opened up doing 40 mph. There's no support in the center,except the one on the bottom piece that attaches to the dash. Is there such an animal that can be purchased? Does anybody else have this issue?
I tried putting a piece of a pool noodle between the two parts, but it never stays in place. There's a stretch of hwy I travel when going to the dump, and the speed limit is 55, so I cruise at 60, but that windshield dances around a lot, I'm continually having to grab it to settle down.

Last edited:
Reactions: EMAW and JenElio
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The windshield is made of polycarbonate (Lexan is one trade name in common usage). This means it won't crack into sharp shards on impact as would acrylic (Plexiglas etc.). So, you can easily drill holes in the windshield and attach a stiffener, such as a square aluminum tube. E.g. drill holes in the aluminum tube and install rivet nuts, then screws through the windshield. Alternately, you might use an L shaped length of aluminum and simply use screws, washers and nuts to add rigidity. Of course it will also add a cross member in your view, but I think one would get used to that quickly.

D

Dasmoeturhead

I found a piece of foam that's pretty rigid yesterday, and put it in place. It worked on a 15 mile ride averaging 45 mph and it stayed in place. It's an eyesore though. I may have to find something smaller and drill the windshield.

Reactions: EMAW and WagginTail
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found a piece of foam that's pretty rigid yesterday, and put it in place. It worked on a 15 mile ride averaging 45 mph and it stayed in place. It's an eyesore though. I may have to find something smaller and drill the windshield.
Pics?

Reactions: EMAW
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
D

Dasmoeturhead

20230528 074345

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My Honda plastic split windshield flops around when opened up doing 40 mph. There's no support in the center,except the one on the bottom piece that attaches to the dash. Is there such an animal that can be purchased? Does anybody else have this issue?
I tried putting a piece of a pool noodle between the two parts, but it never stays in place. There's a stretch of hwy I travel when going to the dump, and the speed limit is 55, so I cruise at 60, but that windshield dances around a lot, I'm continually having to grab it to settle down.
@EMAW made a really nice brace for the bottom of his windshield out of angle iron. Maybe he's got some pics to share

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This guy did this on his SuperATV flip up. Not sure if it will help you out

Screenshot 20210828 141938 Chrome

Reactions: EMAW and JenElio
D

Dasmoeturhead

Thanks for the idea. I've just got to scrounge the shop a little more, and see what I can come up with. I think a 3/4" copper pipe hammered flat ,and then drill the windshield for screws with wing nuts, and rubber gaskets next to the plexiglass will work.

D

Dasmoeturhead

I found some flat stock, and fabbed up a brace. Works great. Still need to paint it, and maybe buy some new SS hardware. The bolts and one wing nut are SS, but I think I'll buy all new hardware. In the meantime it's solid.

20230528 104644 20230528 104720

D

Dasmoeturhead

Here's the finished product. Tested it on a 12 mile ride to the post office. Average speed 40 mph. Its rock solid. I waited way to long to do this.
20230530 080354
20230530 080338

Last edited:
Reactions: JenElio and trigger
P

Pioneer 81

Nov 17, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Im thinking about adding a extra brace in middle of windshield like on the ends, on my honda pioneer 1000.has anyone done this?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!