100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Weather permitting, I'm thinking about taking a short 14-21 day road trip to the SW and parts of Colorado. I'm thinking mid January to late February. After that my family's farm nursery/orchard will be in full swing and I'll only be able to escape to the 2018 Tennessee ride in April. I'll not be able to go anywhere until late fall otherwise. On my last rip I had hoped but was not able to go to Hovenweep, Chaco Canyon in NM, Canyons Of the Ancients, Cockscomb in Utah and a few other exploratory runs before heading over to visit friends near Rifle Colorado. I'd really like to explore Plesant Creek and South Draw Rd coming up and into Capitol Reef NP from the Lower bouns CG through the Tarantalas Flats. There are tons of places in Colorado that are absolutely spectacular in the grandeur of its high mountain vistas. Before heading home on this last trip, I got to explore the San Isabel NF near Buena Vista Co. and was left speechless all too often. Winter rides anyone? Got Tracks?
IMG 3023
IMG 3048
IMG 3064
IMG 2779

Last edited:
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
It's not quite clear, did you make it to Chaco Canyon?
I have been trying to figure out how to get my wife there, I have time off in July and December, not good weather either time.
It's a must see in my book.
Absolutely fantastic what was built there.

I really liked El Moro Rock national monument in NM.
Just a rock face where people have been carving there name.
Oldest European name is Juan de Onata - in 1605.
That's 15 years before the pilgrims showed up.
El Morro National Monument - Wikipedia

I'm in Tucson Az for the holiday, my wife's home town.
Forecasting 75* for Christmas.
Planning to trek over to Death Valley before heading home.
My daughter wants to see the Devils Race Track.
(National Monument so no SxS this trip).

Reactions: 100Acre
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
You know my thoughts on the subject.

Your plan sounds great. Except for the coming back part (if that is your plan).

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You know my thoughts on the subject.

Your plan sounds great. Except for the coming back part (if that is your plan).
Personally I'd prefer to not return, but me has a farm I must attend to. Until the day I can sell it, I am blessed to have what I have.

Reactions: DG Rider
Durangotang

Durangotang

Feb 24, 2018
Just outside Durango, CO
Personally I'd prefer to not return, but me has a farm I must attend to. Until the day I can sell it, I am blessed to have what I have.
Did you make it out this way? Winter didn't arrive until about two weeks ago. While the mid-west and NE were getting hammered I was able to ride my motorcycle mid January.

Chaco Canyon is spectacular and in some ways better than Mesa Verde. Biggest issues are it being remote and a pretty bad road going to it from the pavement. There is a campground but the nearest hotels & restaurants are 1 1/2 hours away in either Farmington or Cuba, NM. As for the road it crosses native lands and my understanding is they don't want people visiting the site. So you go from blacktop to a good quality dirt road to some of the most rutted dirt road I've been on. Luckily its really bad only the last two miles or so. Shook dishes out of the camper even going 15 MPH.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!