Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMG 9339

After the first big ride on the Yami I have to say wow I'm really impressed overall.
Spent time this weekend on all sorts of conditions from uphill bushwacking over stumps to highway pavement. It performs very well on anything. The suspension on this machine is by far its best quality. Soaks up everything at all times and more throttle means even more cushion. Sway bar needs pulled for full articulation the difference was huge as the back just wasn't as free as it would be. Highway runs were incredible with absolute control and no wiggle. Did great at keeping tires glued to the dirt at all times. Suspension is bad ass for factory jap equipment especially for the msrp

Power is good. Not the fastest vehicle but runs pretty hard. Top speed will bounce at 52 but isn't near floorboard at that. Will run good at 50 for extended use and pulls hills at that so really it's good. Top speed is very stable! Low range will run any hill it's super low. Throttle is instant power and very smooth. There isn't the typical belt jump it's a very controlled tug and can even run at a mile an hour on anything. Never found power lacking in the trails and was drifting dirt roads at 30-35 easily.

Brakes are killer. Dual caliper disks and a wet e brake. It stops! Feels very sporty and no fade ever.

Steering is a touch too much power but you do get use to it and is welcomed in the heavy stuff.

4wd is effortless and solid. Not a fan of the electronic knob I'd rather shift.

Build quality is top notch. Didn't bother looking for loose bolts or really glancing it over. Everything is very solid no rattles.

Likes.
Drip rail on roof. E brake. Blue gauges. Seatbelt has a heavy spring at top to help eliminate shoulder strain and is adjustable height. Roomy as hell. Lots of storage. Adjustable driver seat is cheesy but the buckets are super cozy and hold you in great. No seat heat at all. Tie downs everywhere. Easy access to winch. Don't need to open doors to jump in. Engine breaking is massive for a belt! Easily on par with Pioneer unless in manual. No park you just leave in gear fire it up and drop ebrake like the 700. Stable as hell.

Dislikes.
Tailgate doesn't drop it pulls out but has storage spot for it. Gauges are centered. Short doors. HATE THE SEATBELT BUZZER it's gone before next ride! Roof doesn't go over edges of the ROPS like the Honda. A little bit noisier then the Honda from gear whine. Belt, even though it's a very good one I like to shift.

Overall very well liked. It never shut off and my daughter loves driving it. It's not the multiple person rig we're use to but it wasn't designed to be. Not fair comparing to Pioneer platform so I tried taking it for what it is. Honda NEEDS to build something like this it really is a blast for just one or two people and I'll probably take it for those excursions just so damn smooth. Will enjoy the trouble free durability for years to come I'm sure.

C

Chooglin

Thanks for the review CP

As I mentioned before , my brother has one of the R-Specs and I loved it from the first time I drove it. As you mentioned, the suspension is just amazing!

I am at a crossroads right now as far as which direction I want to go. I could dump more money into my 500 and hope it satisfies my needs or sell it and get me a Wolverine R-spec (this is really what I want).

Financially it's just not possible right now and if I wait , maybe the Talon will come out by the time I'm ready to buy!

Really glad you like the new machine and hope to see you get the problems with the Pioneer ironed out!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks for the review CP

As I mentioned before , my brother has one of the R-Specs and I loved it from the first time I drove it. As you mentioned, the suspension is just amazing!

I am at a crossroads right now as far as which direction I want to go. I could dump more money into my 500 and hope it satisfies my needs or sell it and get me a Wolverine R-spec (this is really what I want).

Financially it's just not possible right now and if I wait , maybe the Talon will come out by the time I'm ready to buy!

Really glad you like the new machine and hope to see you get the problems with the Pioneer ironed out!
I do really like the rig and in fact it is by far set up better for where we go then anything else stock. Wouldn't have actually looked but after our test drive I was sold.
This thing is perfectly named for in the woods it's a bastard at getting around not much would stay up with it, but it's a different class so again not fair comparison.
If the Yami had 15 more hp and paddles...but it's a great rig much more solid I can't imagine anyone that doesn't need the capacity in the bed to not love this rig unless they run car tires most the time, this is a true woods roll around and explore type.

Last edited:
J

JTW

Thanks for the review CP

I would save my pennies and buy the wolverine!

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I sold my Wolverine to get the Honda. I had about 3,500 miles on mine and just loved it. I wanted more top speed. CP's review is right on and I really enjoyed mine. Yamaha will announce a 4 seat model next month with a 850cc twin. I think its still belt drive but Yamaha has a really good belt drive. I installed 25 inch tires for better take off. It comes with 26 inch tires. Only problem I'm aware of is the header pipe will break at the bend at about 4,000 miles and probably less if you let it idle a lot.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I sold my Wolverine to get the Honda. I had about 3,500 miles on mine and just loved it. I wanted more top speed. CP's review is right on and I really enjoyed mine. Yamaha will announce a 4 seat model next month with a 850cc twin. I think its still belt drive but Yamaha has a really good belt drive. I installed 25 inch tires for better take off. It comes with 26 inch tires. Only problem I'm aware of is the header pipe will break at the bend at about 4,000 miles and probably less if you let it idle a lot.
Hopefully they do a 2seat model with the 850 that'll be a kick! All this thing needs is a couple ponies but it's good

Reactions: sharp and Tigermark
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
great follow up. If i didnt need the 5 seats. Im pretty sure I would have gone with the r-spec.

how does the wolverine suspension compare to the pioneer with Fox/ Elka/ Walker shocks?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
great follow up. If i didnt need the 5 seats. Im pretty sure I would have gone with the r-spec.

how does the wolverine suspension compare to the pioneer with Fox/ Elka/ Walker shocks?
Different ballpark, much much smoother it's just throttle down in the R Spec. It's absolutely impressive and obvious they spent time to get it right. Suspension this thing shines.
I did ride and drive a couple different suspension setups on the Pioneer and have Foxes but like I said these two really aren't comparable as we ask a lot from the Pioneer platform and it's much heavier as a possible 5 seater with more weight capacity. for just one or two people it's a damn fun rig.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CP , did you abuse the skid plates much in those 200 mile , if so , how did they hold up ?
Not too bad for stock skids. We did crawl some good stuff. Prob comparable to aluminum but they also have skid plates for the skid plate lol. It's nice not to have to run out and buy a bunch of protection from new but prob coinsider plastic in addition down the road but good for now
IMG 1303

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 50716

After the first big ride on the Yami I have to say wow I'm really impressed overall.
Spent time this weekend on all sorts of conditions from uphill bushwacking over stumps to highway pavement. It performs very well on anything. The suspension on this machine is by far its best quality. Soaks up everything at all times and more throttle means even more cushion. Sway bar needs pulled for full articulation the difference was huge as the back just wasn't as free as it would be. Highway runs were incredible with absolute control and no wiggle. Did great at keeping tires glued to the dirt at all times. Suspension is bad ass for factory jap equipment especially for the msrp

Power is good. Not the fastest vehicle but runs pretty hard. Top speed will bounce at 52 but isn't near floorboard at that. Will run good at 50 for extended use and pulls hills at that so really it's good. Top speed is very stable! Low range will run any hill it's super low. Throttle is instant power and very smooth. There isn't the typical belt jump it's a very controlled tug and can even run at a mile an hour on anything. Never found power lacking in the trails and was drifting dirt roads at 30-35 easily.

Brakes are killer. Dual caliper disks and a wet e brake. It stops! Feels very sporty and no fade ever.

Steering is a touch too much power but you do get use to it and is welcomed in the heavy stuff.

4wd is effortless and solid. Not a fan of the electronic knob I'd rather shift.

Build quality is top notch. Didn't bother looking for loose bolts or really glancing it over. Everything is very solid no rattles.

Likes.
Drip rail on roof. E brake. Blue gauges. Seatbelt has a heavy spring at top to help eliminate shoulder strain and is adjustable height. Roomy as hell. Lots of storage. Adjustable driver seat is cheesy but the buckets are super cozy and hold you in great. No seat heat at all. Tie downs everywhere. Easy access to winch. Don't need to open doors to jump in. Engine breaking is massive for a belt! Easily on par with Pioneer unless in manual. No park you just leave in gear fire it up and drop ebrake like the 700. Stable as hell.

Dislikes.
Tailgate doesn't drop it pulls out but has storage spot for it. Gauges are centered. Short doors. HATE THE SEATBELT BUZZER it's gone before next ride! Roof doesn't go over edges of the ROPS like the Honda. A little bit noisier then the Honda from gear whine. Belt, even though it's a very good one I like to shift.

Overall very well liked. It never shut off and my daughter loves driving it. It's not the multiple person rig we're use to but it wasn't designed to be. Not fair comparing to Pioneer platform so I tried taking it for what it is. Honda NEEDS to build something like this it really is a blast for just one or two people and I'll probably take it for those excursions just so damn smooth. Will enjoy the trouble free durability for years to come I'm sure.
Is that stock shocks on it?

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wondering about the leg room

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Wondering about the leg room

Plenty in the original Rspec but less in the new X2. The original was built on a platform that was never going to be anything but a 2 seater. The new x2 is nothing more than x4 with bed removed and seats put in place of. Just as the the T2 and T4. In my opinion Yamaha built the X4 to get into the 4 seater market, then decide it would also be the new Rspec. I for one was disappointed when Yamaha dropped the original Rspec for the new X2. The new X2 has just one thing I would want over the original and that is the new twin cylinder 850. Just my opinion.

D

Deleted member 3748

Plenty in the original Rspec but less in the new X2. The original was built on a platform that was never going to be anything but a 2 seater. The new x2 is nothing more than x4 with bed removed and seats put in place of. Just as the the T2 and T4. In my opinion Yamaha built the X4 to get into the 4 seater market, then decide it would also be the new Rspec. I for one was disappointed when Yamaha dropped the original Rspec for the new X2. The new X2 has just one thing I would want over the original and that is the new twin cylinder 850. Just my opinion.

That's not entirely correct. The X2 RSpec has different shocks and arched a-arms. But even if it were, you could say the same thing about the 1000-5 and the 1000-3. I do wish the X2 had 10" of travel like the original and the top speed still bums me out a little. but everything else looks great. Especially the cool, quiet cabin.

I was primed to move into a Maverick 1000 but what I've been reading and watching on this X2 has me waiting for one to hit the showroom. I bought a 12' ft. trailer today and one of these two will be in my garage soon.

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That's not entirely correct. The X2 RSpec has different shocks and arched a-arms. But even if it were, you could say the same thing about the 1000-5 and the 1000-3. I do wish the X2 had 10" of travel like the original and the top speed still bums me out a little. but everything else looks great. Especially the cool, quiet cabin.

I was primed to move into a Maverick 1000 but what I've been reading and watching on this X2 has me waiting for one to hit the showroom. I bought a 12' ft. trailer today and one of these two will be in my garage soon.

The rspec has arched arms and longer travel front and rear and more leg room.I know I own one.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!