DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
While digging around the C.A.R.B site during the latest discussion of the mythical Honda "Talon", i came across this test result...
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2019/yamaha_sv_um0040307_847.pdf

It shows the X4's more powerful 850 being certified for a machine called the Wolverine "X2".

Following is a lot of speculation that may be rendered pointless at any moment with an announcement and/or further test results published on the CARB site....

Seems like one of the biggest complaints among 2 seat Wolvy owners will be addressed, right?

Well....there have been some people associated with the UTV/ATV aftermarket who have been saying that a 2 seat version of the X4 was imminent. Looking around FB and other areas, they are, again, sticking by their guns that this is NOT the current 2 seater with the new engine. I also see no mention on the CARB site of the 708 version (or ANY 708cc engine...more on that in a minute). They have also stated that the 850 would not fit where the current 700 resides.

Adding to this possibility; Someone (I'm thinking @CumminsPusher for some reason ) mentioned that they were told the current X2 accessories were NLA for order, or would be stopped very soon?

Would Yamaha really drop the current 2 seater over a 2 seat X4 in the mold of the Teryx?
I hope not. Makes no sense to me. Everyone to a man says the current 2 seater has a superior chassis and suspension to the X4, and I didn't find the X4 to have a lot of room (though that could be changed with the removal of the rear seats).
The only way this makes sense is if they now make the rear section dump, in which case you'd have a modern Rhino. But why do that when you already have the Viking?

The other explanation is that the current 2 seater is simply getting revised. The model designations on the CARB site seem to support this (YXE vs YXF ).The Wolvy (on the spec sheet, anyway) has always been in the shadow of the General, introduced at roughly the same time (at least until the General catches fire and casts a nice, warm glow on the Wolverine). 100HP and a bigger, DUMPING bed make it split the difference between a RZR and Ranger nicely.
Adding a slightly bigger dumping bed would do nothing to take away the current Wolverine's trail prowess, but expand its utility usefulness. I'd be in on this, even with the "old" engine.

...and speaking of the "old" 700 (actually a 708); It looks like NOTHING for 2019 M/Y lists this engine. Even the Grizzly looks to have reverted back to the older 686cc, which I believe is still used in the Viking (and was less powerful). It could simply be that nothing with this engine has been tested yet, but that suggests there will be 2 Grizzly's with different engines...and again, that makes no sense.

Dropping the 708 cold turkey makes me wonder why?

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
While digging around the C.A.R.B site during the latest discussion of the mythical Honda "Talon", i came across this test result...
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2019/yamaha_sv_um0040307_847.pdf

It shows the X4's more powerful 850 being certified for a machine called the Wolverine "X2".

Following is a lot of speculation that may be rendered pointless at any moment with an announcement and/or further test results published on the CARB site....

Seems like one of the biggest complaints among 2 seat Wolvy owners will be addressed, right?

Well....there have been some people associated with the UTV/ATV aftermarket who have been saying that a 2 seat version of the X4 was imminent. Looking around FB and other areas, they are, again, sticking by their guns that this is NOT the current 2 seater with the new engine. I also see no mention on the CARB site of the 708 version (or ANY 708cc engine...more on that in a minute). They have also stated that the 850 would not fit where the current 700 resides.

Adding to this possibility; Someone (I'm thinking @CumminsPusher for some reason ) mentioned that they were told the current X2 accessories were NLA for order, or would be stopped very soon?

Would Yamaha really drop the current 2 seater over a 2 seat X4 in the mold of the Teryx?
I hope not. Makes no sense to me. Everyone to a man says the current 2 seater has a superior chassis and suspension to the X4, and I didn't find the X4 to have a lot of room (though that could be changed with the removal of the rear seats).
The only way this makes sense is if they now make the rear section dump, in which case you'd have a modern Rhino. But why do that when you already have the Viking?

The other explanation is that the current 2 seater is simply getting revised. The model designations on the CARB site seem to support this (YXE vs YXF ).The Wolvy (on the spec sheet, anyway) has always been in the shadow of the General, introduced at roughly the same time (at least until the General catches fire and casts a nice, warm glow on the Wolverine). 100HP and a bigger, DUMPING bed make it split the difference between a RZR and Ranger nicely.
Adding a slightly bigger dumping bed would do nothing to take away the current Wolverine's trail prowess, but expand its utility usefulness. I'd be in on this, even with the "old" engine.

...and speaking of the "old" 700 (actually a 708); It looks like NOTHING for 2019 M/Y lists this engine. Even the Grizzly looks to have reverted back to the older 686cc, which I believe is still used in the Viking (and was less powerful). It could simply be that nothing with this engine has been tested yet, but that suggests there will be 2 Grizzly's with different engines...and again, that makes no sense.

Dropping the 708 cold turkey makes me wonder why?
Said it before, the r-spec is a wonderful little woods vehicle and in my eyes probably the best for where we go. Spectacular vehicle! I didn’t hate the x4 but it did nothing for me at all. Was comfortable and quiet, no rattles very well built but that was it imo. The power didn’t feel any better then the 708 to me but obviously more weight so there it went. New motor is quite but hated the drive-by-wire. It sucked.
I’ll gladly take the “underpowered “ R-spec anywhere. I think all those that say it’s underpowered ride fast easy dirt roads with no challenge because it’s proved to have perfect power/hookup most of the time. Can add 30% power easily if needed. The nice thing about the Wolverine is it’s so easy and cheap to work on. Motor has a jug like dirt bike. The belt drive is the best, even though it’s belt it doesn’t act like it. Leave it alone Yamaha....

C

Chooglin

@Choogsbro any thoughts on this , will they be putting the 850 in the 2 seater ?

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Said it before, the r-spec is a wonderful little woods vehicle and in my eyes probably the best for where we go. Spectacular vehicle! I didn’t hate the x4 but it did nothing for me at all. Was comfortable and quiet, no rattles very well built but that was it imo. The power didn’t feel any better then the 708 to me but obviously more weight so there it went. New motor is quite but hated the drive-by-wire. It sucked.
I’ll gladly take the “underpowered “ R-spec anywhere. I think all those that say it’s underpowered ride fast easy dirt roads with no challenge because it’s proved to have perfect power/hookup most of the time. Can add 30% power easily if needed. The nice thing about the Wolverine is it’s so easy and cheap to work on. Motor has a jug like dirt bike. The belt drive is the best, even though it’s belt it doesn’t act like it. Leave it alone Yamaha....
Totally agree. I have put the JBS extreme sheave in and slugged the wet clutch. CP if you like it now then do this upgrade and you will love it. Still hit the rev limiter but have seen 58.1 on gps. That being said as you know in trails you seldom go over 40 and from 0-40 this thing is beast. If you want speed I'm sure as soon as someone cracks the rev limiter 65 mph will be attainable. With that being said the X4 has a speed and rev limiter (52 mph) I believe which has yet to be cracked. JBS has a sheave available for the X4 also. At this point I think I would stay with my r-spec with sheave mod over the new x2. Now as been said if they were to put the 850 in the r-spec platform then that would temp me. My 2 cents,

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
View attachment 76617
Totally agree. I have put the JBS extreme sheave in and slugged the wet clutch. CP if you like it now then do this upgrade and you will love it. Still hit the rev limiter but have seen 58.1 on gps. That being said as you know in trails you seldom go over 40 and from 0-40 this thing is beast. If you want speed I'm sure as soon as someone cracks the rev limiter 65 mph will be attainable. With that being said the X4 has a speed and rev limiter (52 mph) I believe which has yet to be cracked. JBS has a sheave available for the X4 also. At this point I think I would stay with my r-spec with sheave mod over the new x2. Now as been said if they were to put the 850 in the r-spec platform then that would temp me. My 2 cents,
Honestly other then a small lift I won’t be doing anything to this rig. We bought it when having troubles with the Honda and has now become a second Sxs for family use so it’s not my primary and as such I’m more then excited on how it is dead stock, nice because it’s trustworthy for anyone. My daughter kinda took over on it and can now follow me in the Pioneer about anywhere.
Not going to lie I have a ball just the way it is myself and drive it a lot. If just wife and I will take it sometimes just for the ride and seats. If it were my personal I would do exhaust, programming and clutches as well as 28 in tires.
It’s a great rig fun as hell and we fully trust it.
Down the road I WILL be buying a set of these front seats for the Honda. I have yet to find a set of seats I like better.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Plenty of yxz seats available. Same base frames as Wolvy but even more comfy.
As long as the back is as thin as the Wolvie. Pioneer is pretty limited on space.

Last edited:
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
As long as the back is as thin as the Wolvie. Pioneer is pretty limited on space.
Pretty sure they are but with more side cushion/ bolster. Many Wolvy owners swap out to YXZ seats. Biggest problems is most are in Ca. and shipping cost is very high. For a Wolvy owner all you need are cushions and not frames which greatly lowers shipping cost. A pioneer owner would need frames.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!