Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
First drive in a Wolverine x4 and we were allowed to actually run it hard where we normally ride so got a damn good feel. Put 3 hours in it on various terrains from pavement to very tight goat trails. This wasn't some setup test course it was real N. Idaho quad and dirt bike trails.
IMG 1265

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First drive in a Wolverine x4 and we were allowed to actually run it hard where we normally ride so got a damn good feel. Put 3 hours in it on various terrains from pavement to very tight goat trails. This wasn't some setup test course it was real N. Idaho quad and dirt bike trails.
View attachment 57583
Well overall what was the "good" "bad " and ugly

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMG 1268

Good,bad and ugly -

First off let me just say how impressed with overall quality I am. It's so well thought out and everything fits great and tight. Doors and gate are tight and function beautiful. Paint finish and welds are great.
Seats are extremely cozy, driver adjusts and all instrumentation easy to reach and use. Lots of storage and cup holders well placed. Roof is double panel to help quiet the noise and insulate better. Only dislikes on interior are on driver side the door latch area juts out a little too far and is more difficult to get in,you have to kinda hop in I guess. Rear seats vibrate a little over bumps and is kind of annoying.
This is by far the quietest sxs I've ever been around! Cannot understate that it's just damn quiet and extremely smooth. Yamaha has counter rotating shafts in the motor and vast rubber mounts. Does not sound or shake like a sxs.
Down the road it's really nice. Twin anti sway bars really prove to make this stable at speed. It's very stable. Top speed shown 52,sucks but it will roll at that all day long without being over revved, still quiet at that speed and the limiter doesn't bounce it's smooth and don't need to bother staying off of it.
On the trails it's pretty sure footed and again very stable. If it was going to be in trails more then roads I'd probably pull sway bars but suspension works good. I'd say on par with factory shocks on Pioneer 1000 but slightly more bumpy over real rough stuff (due to twin sway bars) but didn't bottom out and was great over high speed bumps.
Climbing is effortless and it'll stay up with Pioneer I believe. 4wd is limited slip front not open diff like most so it has more traction out of diff lock, diff lock is quick switch and it's locked. Less understeer then Pioneer and power steering is good but slightly more steering effort needed. Brakes are twin caliper and clamp awesome, they don't fade and feeling of pedal is great. This'll stop a big load if needed.
Power is a disappointment compared to the 1000 Pioneers. It does fine but not that brute animal feel the Pioneer has. It's drive by wire throttle feels great once use to it, it's got a weird nothing spot for 1/2 inch but I think it's designed that way for better belt enguagement. Nice to not have the throttle fighting you on heavy terrain. Transmission is the best belt I've ever seen so smooth and the motor never sounds like it's working because of the belt like most it's really smooth and well designed. 25mph keyed speed limiter will be a very welcomed item.
IMG 1270

Our overall experience was good but totally different rig then Pioneer. Positives and negatives but really liked it. Again it's so quiet smooth and well built it's hard not to admire a bit but power could be better. Being a Yamaha I'm positive aftermarket performance enhancements are already being developed.
Accessories are top notch on this rig. We added factory 30" tire package and Yamaha has an oversize clutch kit (only 47$) that allows the rig to have exact same feel while retaining speedo calibration and warranty. Windshield that fits beautifully and allows full view in between roll-bars, it also includes direct plug and play wiper and washer. Also factory rock-sliders that protect the lower rails.

Last edited:
J

JTW

View attachment 57585

Good,bad and ugly -

First off let me just say how impressed with overall quality I am. It's so well thought out and everything fits great and tight. Doors and gate are tight and function beautiful. Paint finish and welds are great.
Seats are extremely cozy, driver adjusts and all instrumentation easy to reach and use. Lots of storage and cup holders well placed. Roof is double panel to help quiet the noise and insulate better. Only dislikes on interior are on driver side the door latch area juts out a little too far and is more difficult to get in,you have to kinda hop in I guess. Rear seats vibrate a little over bumps and is kind of annoying.
This is by far the quietest sxs I've ever been around! Cannot understate that it's just damn quiet and extremely smooth. Yamaha has counter rotating shafts in the motor and vast rubber mounts. Does not sound or shake like a sxs.
Down the road it's really nice. Twin anti sway bars really prove to make this stable at speed. It's very stable. Top speed shown 52,sucks but it will roll at that all day long without being over revved, still quiet at that speed and the limiter doesn't bounce it's smooth and don't need to bother staying off of it.
On the trails it's pretty sure footed and again very stable. If it was going to be in trails more then roads I'd probably pull sway bars but suspension works good. I'd say on par with factory shocks on Pioneer 1000 but slightly more bumpy over real rough stuff (due to twin sway bars) but didn't bottom out and was great over high speed bumps.
Climbing is effortless and it'll stay up with Pioneer I believe. 4wd is limited slip front not open diff like most so it has more traction out of diff lock, diff lock is quick switch and it's locked. Less understeer then Pioneer and power steering is good but slightly more steering effort needed. Brakes are twin caliper and clamp awesome, they don't fade and feeling of pedal is great. This'll stop a big load if needed.
Power is a disappointment compared to the 1000 Pioneers. It does fine but not that brute animal feel the Pioneer has. It's drive by wire throttle feels great once use to it, it's got a weird nothing spot for 1/2 inch but I think it's designed that way for better belt enguagement. Nice to not have the throttle fighting you on heavy terrain. Transmission is the best belt I've ever seen so smooth and the motor never sounds like it's working because of the belt like most it's really smooth and well designed. 25mph keyed speed limiter will be a very welcomed item.
View attachment 57587
Our overall experience was good but totally different rig then Pioneer. Positives and negatives but really liked it. Again it's so quiet smooth and well built it's hard not to admire a bit but power could be better. Being a Yamaha I'm positive aftermarket performance enhancements are already being developed.
Accessories are top notch on this rig. We added factory 30" tire package and Yamaha has an oversize clutch kit (only 47$) that allows the rig to have exact same feel while retaining speedo calibration and warranty. Windshield that fits beautifully and allows full view in between roll-bars, it also includes direct plug and play wiper and washer. Also factory rock-sliders that protect the lower rails.
Great write up! You do public ‘skool’ proud!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMG 1277

Simple layout. Ebrake, nice storage great seats. Arm protectors are annoying at first but actually provide great lateral support. Right below the guards the latch area that I mentioned being annoying is somewhat seen. Driver seat adjustable. Doors are finished nice on both sides and door handles are easier to reach. Passenger adjust grab handle.
IMG 1279

Cup holders and 12v power in back. Grab handles placed good. Lots of room for cooler in between the seats.leg room is good but you're legs are angled a bit.

IMG 1280

Massive battery under hood and fuses computer etc all under hood. Simple air filter change done from here. The speed limiting key can be seen upper right. The accessories list is awesome and all direct plug-play. Cool things available in accessories-full stereo four speakers mounted low throughout cab,powered sub,additional upper speakers, floor lighting,true full locking cab with glass,fog lights,30" wheel tire combo,clutch kit,wiper/washer combo, finished headliner, storage box behind rear seats,spare tire mount, interior comfort pads, insulated roof and of course all the regular items seen from other manufacturers IMG 1282

Last edited:
mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Factory optional 30" tire and wheel package? Yamaha bringing that A game again...

Looks like a 27" wheel tire option... I was curious, so I just went though the online build page and the wheel/tire package shows part #'s VDF-14SXS-01-05 or VDF-14SXS-01-07 depending on the type of tire you want... those part numbers show up on the accessories catalog page as 27x10-14 front and rear.

BTW, the factory option stereo/speakers are made by $$V Works <- dollar signs intentional. I'd go a different route if I were in the market.

So.. even a modest build build with some factory accessories comes to almost 20K MSRP.

SHOPPING LIST

Base Price:
$17,249.00

MSRP Estimate [Accessories]:
$2,549.95

MSRP Estimate [Total]:
$19,798.95

Hard Sun Top Kit
BG4-K84A0-V0-00
$499.99

Rear Cargo Box
BG4-F83P0-V0-00
$349.99

Oversize Tire Clutch Kit
BG4-E63H0-V0-00
$49.99

MSA®/EFX® Wheel & Soft/Intermediate Terrain Tire Kit (with MotoMTC Tires)
VDF-14SXS-01-05
$1,299.99

Polycarbonate Front Windshield
BG4-F83J0-V0-00
$349.99

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Looks like a 27" wheel tire option... I was curious, so I just went though the online build page and the wheel/tire package shows part #'s VDF-14SXS-01-05 or VDF-14SXS-01-07 depending on the type of tire you want... those part numbers show up on the accessories catalog page as 27x10-14 front and rear.

BTW, the factory option stereo/speakers are made by $$V Works <- dollar signs intentional. I'd go a different route if I were in the market.

So.. even a modest build build with some factory accessories comes to almost 20K MSRP.

SHOPPING LIST

Base Price:
$17,249.00

MSRP Estimate [Accessories]:
$2,549.95

MSRP Estimate [Total]:
$19,798.95

Hard Sun Top Kit
BG4-K84A0-V0-00
$499.99

Rear Cargo Box
BG4-F83P0-V0-00
$349.99

Oversize Tire Clutch Kit
BG4-E63H0-V0-00
$49.99

MSA®/EFX® Wheel & Soft/Intermediate Terrain Tire Kit (with MotoMTC Tires)
VDF-14SXS-01-05
$1,299.99

Polycarbonate Front Windshield
BG4-F83J0-V0-00
$349.99
So it's 27's, not 30's? Maybe @CumminsPusher was talking about a dealer installed set.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So it's 27's, not 30's? Maybe @CumminsPusher was talking about a dealer installed set.
Well I'm not sure then on tires but he had showed me a couple sets and then mentioned he can get me different sets figured into the price.
And by the way @mbjeepxj no s*** that stuff is expensive it is in any machine. I'm just saying for those that don't have ability or want to accessorize themselves it's there and plug and play. As for me I'd think maybe you'd know I have the ability to do my own mods and copy nothing lol not going ssv on anything.
Yamaha does offer things that weren't before and with the design of the machine it makes it easier for others to as well. The cab enclosure is very expensive but it's lightyears a head of factory for other brands but the squared off design of the cage and machine where enclosure goes allows for easier build for anyone. Think I'd build another one off enclosure as I don't want to spend that kind of cash and I'd rather built not bought but for others it's available.
Here's price with every available item off of the build your own machine, btw pretty cool they do that. Never said cheap just available
IMG 1286

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@CumminsPusher, so is this your new rig or are you just testing the waters with a demo ?
That was a demo. The one we ordered just showed up while we were test driving. We put money down two months ago to hold it when it came in. We have not decided 100% yet as this would be the friends and family ride and it's a lot of cash but the way our Pioneer is this would be a lot more dependable and be there during any issues with or downtime with PJ. Ours will be ready for pickup on Thursday with some accessories. See what happens

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Shortly after buying my 700-4, i looked at the wifey and said "we should get into the SxS accessories business".
We've came up with a few things but just wasn't down to go into manufacturing. It was always to make our machine what we needed. I do hate it when you design something and right after you see some of your ideas pop up in aftermarket. It would be a cool thing but always a pita

Reactions: sharp and DG Rider
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Shortly after buying my 700-4, i looked at the wifey and said "we should get into the SxS accessories business".
It was sooooo cold! Did one video inside cruising around but you could hear our teeth chattering lol

Reactions: sharp and nbomar
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
...I do hate it when you design something and right after you see some of your ideas pop up in aftermarket...
I know what you mean.

A few years ago we were riding up around Bill Williams mtn in central AZ (7-9K'). Too warm for a windshield...but those vampire gnats swarm up at that elevation at that time and we were tired of getting a face full every time we went. So i thought about it...then stretched some window screen across the front and zip tied it to the roll cage. Worked perfectly...except that it would bow back into the cab a bit. So then i started thinking about getting a frame kit and just clamping it to the front. And then...wonder if people would buy this?

The answer was yes, as someone put it on sale a few months later (for too much money, IMO). Obviously, to get it to market, they would have been working on it a while...but still makes you be like, Damn!

Then there's the storage boxes/rack for the wasted space above the cage on the 700 (under the top) for light items like coats and sleeping bags (used a big bungee net for just this purpose). Or the VW-esq exhaust-exchanged heater for the 700. Etc...etc...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I know what you mean.

A few years ago we were riding up around Bill Williams mtn in central AZ (7-9K'). Too warm for a windshield...but those vampire gnats swarm up at that elevation at that time and we were tired of getting a face full every time we went. So i thought about it...then stretched some window screen across the front and zip tied it to the roll cage. Worked perfectly...except that it would bow back into the cab a bit. So then i started thinking about getting a frame kit and just clamping it to the front. And then...wonder if people would buy this?

The answer was yes, as someone put it on sale a few months later (for too much money, IMO). Obviously, to get it to market, they would have been working on it a while...but still makes you be like, Damn!

Then there's the storage boxes/rack for the wasted space above the cage on the 700 (under the top) for light items like coats and sleeping bags (used a big bungee net for just this purpose). Or the VW-esq exhaust-exchanged heater for the 700. Etc...etc...
I bought one of those for our machine a few years back lol. Actually helped push them into doing the Pioneer. Liked ours really well but where we ride is too tough on them and our first one was ripped the first weekend and then we cut roof down so I sold the replacement Wish we could run it was great especially at dusk

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and DG Rider

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!