Talon Won't shift over 6k rpm

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Just went to pick up my x4 that's been at the dealer a month getting a new I4wd module and sub transmission.

They go to do a test drive and it won't shift at all over 6k rpm, in any mode. 2 dash marks come up on the display. Shift fine under 6k.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Have them check codes.

Is it reading consistent speed?

They've been on it for a couple hours. I tried resetting the ECU. swapped ecu's with another good unit. I'm assuming the speedo was correct. He didn't mention it.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The VS Sensor that feeds the speedo does NOT control anything concerning the DCT. It only feeds the speedo and Power Steering.

The Talon has 6 speed sensors and 2 of them control the DCT shifting.

The Rear VS Sensor is on the front of the sub trans.
The Fron VS Sensor is located on the front diff right in the middle above the ring gear.

If either of these 2 are not working, it will not shift correctly. Possibly the one on the SubTrans got broken or left unplugged.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
The VS Sensor that feeds the speedo does NOT control anything concerning the DCT. It only feeds the speedo and Power Steering.

The Talon has 6 speed sensors and 2 of them control the DCT shifting.

The Rear VS Sensor is on the front of the sub trans.
The Fron VS Sensor is located on the front diff right in the middle above the ring gear.

If either of these 2 are not working, it will not shift correctly. Possibly the one on the SubTrans got broken or left unplugged.

This is my guess. Weird that it worked fine for ~30 mins of testing and only has an issue above 6k.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is my guess. Weird that it worked fine for ~30 mins of testing and only has an issue above 6k.
It is not really that weird if you look at the DCT tune. Shifting tables are all based on RPM vs. OSS vs. TPS and if the one of those is missing (my guess is the rear OSS), it can't/won't shift as expected.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I don't think you can blame Honda for this one, it worked when you brought it in, doesn't work after the dealer techs worked on it.....hmmm

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here is another tidbit. If you do an IGR on machine with a DCT, you MUST adjust/calibrate the Front and Rear VS Sensors or it will not shift properly or into 6th gear. It is because the RPM/OSS/TPS are not in close enough mesh and the PCM can't interpret the inputs properly.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I don't think you can blame Honda for this one, it worked when you brought it in, doesn't work after the dealer techs worked on it.....hmmm

Not blaming honda, or anyone.

Here is another tidbit. If you do an IGR on machine with a DCT, you MUST adjust/calibrate the Front and Rear VS Sensors or it will not shift properly or into 6th gear. It is because the RPM/OSS/TPS are not in close enough mesh and the PCM can't interpret the inputs properly.

They actually put on a set of stock tires just to make sure. The machine doesn't know the tires are bigger, so I don't see what they were thinking there. The IGR I get, because it's f***ing with the relationship between the sensors on the transmission and the wheels.

I think you are probably right, that it is something with the sensor on the transmission. They just had it out, so maybe it got dirty or didn't seat all the way.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think you are probably right, that it is something with the sensor on the transmission. They just had it out, so maybe it got dirty or didn't seat all the way.
Another common issue with any type of automotive plug is that the connectors are not seated/clicked all the way in the plug housing so they work once during initial assembly but then don't make contact when plugged back in again because the connector/wire get pushed out of the connector a little bit. The hard part on those is it "looks" all plugged in but it really isn't.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
So would troubleshooting be as simple as unplugging 1 sensor, going for a drive, if no change. That's the sensor that is causing issues?

Or will it being completely unplugged cause a different issue?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
So would troubleshooting be as simple as unplugging 1 sensor, going for a drive, if no change. That's the sensor that is causing issues?

Or will it being completely unplugged cause a different issue?
Maybe and maybe. The problem with that is an intermittent or improperly reading sensor will not act the same as a completely broken or disconnected sensor. A disconnected VS sensor will trigger a dash light, set a code and not shift at all and stuck in 1st gear so according to your symptoms, I don't believe it (or any of the sensors) are completely disconnected or bad (but manuals have been known to be wrong before). My experience tells me a sensor is sending bad/inaccurate data to the ECU.

They are a Honda shop and should have the MCS. If it were me and I had the proper tool(s) I would connect the MCS and start comparing sensor data against known good data (like a properly shifting machine).

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Maybe and maybe. The problem with that is an intermittent or improperly reading sensor will not act the same as a completely broken or disconnected sensor. A disconnected VS sensor will trigger a dash light, set a code and not shift at all and stuck in 1st gear so according to your symptoms, I don't believe it (or any of the sensors) are completely disconnected or bad (but manuals have been known to be wrong before). My experience tells me a sensor is sending bad/inaccurate data to the ECU.

They are a Honda shop and should have the MCS. If it were me and I had the proper tool(s) I would connect the MCS and start comparing sensor data against known good data (like a properly shifting machine).

I'm not familiar with an mcs.

They seem to be over their head on the is machine. I think their techs have all been just bike guys for 35 years and now they are having to deal with these things.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Make sure the rear VSS is hooked up. If it is, unplug it and replug. Also look for any damage to the wire or connector. They would have disconnected it to pull the subtrans out. Its right beside the dip stick for the subtrans. Check the other connections in that area also.

Vss

Reactions: TripleB
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Make sure the rear VSS is hooked up. If it is, unplug it and replug. Also look for any damage to the wire or connector. They would have disconnected it to pull the subtrans out. Its right beside the dip stick for the subtrans. Check the other connections in that area also.

View attachment 183791

I'm guessing the rear vss is the one I tied my reverse light trigger kit into? If so, that means there is 2 connections now. I never had an issue after I installed it, but maybe the tech didn't see the 2nd connection.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I'm guessing the rear vss is the one I tied my reverse light trigger kit into? If so, that means there is 2 connections now. I never had an issue after I installed it, but maybe the tech didn't see the 2nd connection.
The VSS is completely separate from the reverse trigger. The Rear VSS is right beside where the front driveshaft goes into the sub transmission.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!