P1000 Word of mouth sales?

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been asked several times how I like my Honda? Some people just ask to be nosy and others ask to make a decision as to whether they will purchase the Pioneer 1000. I never sugar coated the facts but try to give an honest opinion. A couple of my good friends asked and after I gave a honest review they both bought different machines. One bought a Polaris General 1000 and the other bought a Chinese clone Hi Sun 700.
Don't get me wrong, I like my Honda 1000-5 but they really dropped the ball on several items. The first is the heat around the passenger seat. There is no way Honda can be excused for the problem. My little niece refuses to ride after she felt like she was burnt in the middle on the metal safety belt section. If this machine was marketed to carry 5 they should have tested it with that number in it.
Another is the alignment issues on the front. I have rode with the Hi Sun several times and his tires are wearing perfectly. My tires were almost ruined on the front before I even noticed.
So far I have not had long term problems with the clutches but have noticed a slip a couple of times after backing up a blocked road. No doubt in my mind backing up somehow causes problems. I really believe I would not have turned off my friends if I called Honda and they said we will fix it. Sorry to say this has not been the case. Overall I think the design of the 1000-5 hit the mark but Honda should of payed attention to these and other issues I have not even mentioned.
Do you think Honda has lost sales due to you discussing the 1000 shortcomings?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Call Honda. Voice concerns regarding alignment and tire wear. Make appointment with service department. Wait and see what Honda says.

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Call Honda. Voice concerns regarding alignment and tire wear. Make appointment with service department. Wait and see what Honda says.
I have thus the negative review. The only thing that was fixed was the loose ground wire that caused the Honda to shut down and strand me with just 50 miles. The first dealer I took it to said nothing was wrong. It broke down again on the very next ride to Ashland. I didn't even mention the led lights pointing at the tops of the trees, the wielding joints that have brought blood with the needle like points left in the assembly process, or the rattles from the latches that have metal on metal contact instead of a coating or Teflon sleeves. I have addressed most of these myself but should I have too? I bought this unit BECAUSE of Honda's reputation.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know what to tell you. My machine was covered under warranty. I will upload a copy of my receipt tomorrow if it is still in my truck.

Reactions: JTW
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Wow sounds like fan boys responses. If this machine is without flaws then why are the majority of posts dealing with problems traced back to Honda. I treat people with respect so not sure how you have any idea on my attitude with the dealer. My dealer is not the problem. Honda is. If I took this machine back with every flaw that should of been fixed my dealer would of had the machine more than myself. By the way the dealer that blew off the issue the first time lost my business and the money made from the extra bumpers and winch add ins.
I will go out on a limb here. I think what they mean by beating a dead hores is that this topic started about 14 months ago on here and while your discovery may be new to you, it has been posted to death about on here. I don't think anyone is trying to make excuses for the heat. But realizing they can reasonably correct the issue for about $25 and an hour of thier time, they fixed the issue as best they can and moved on.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
MIght be your dealer or your attitude with your dealer. Mine went in for warranty consideration at 425 miles. 2 new front tires and alignment was covered under warranty.
Wow!!! They gave you new front tires? Mine was so far out of alignment that I didn't get 200 miles before they were cupped so badly they had to be replaced. I hadn't even checked with dealer as I just figured they'd say "we don't warranty tires...even if it's Honda's fault". Meh...what's $240.00 right?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow!!! They gave you new front tires? Mine was so far out of alignment that I didn't get 200 miles before they were cupped so badly they had to be replaced. I hadn't even checked with dealer as I just figured they'd say "we don't warranty tires...even if it's Honda's fault". Meh...what's $240.00 right?
Service advisor told me it was out 35mm, and based off my before and after pictures. I believe him.

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will go out on a limb here. I think what they mean by beating a dead hores is that this topic srarted about 14 months ago on here and while your discovery may be new to you, it has been posted to death about on here. I don't think anyone is trying to make excuses for the heat. But realizing they can reasonably correct the issue for about $25 and an hour of thier time, the fixed the issue as best they can and moved on.
Thanks Jackal.
My question was a simple one. Do you think your personal reviews (to friends) after giving a honest review of your experience with Honda has helped or hurt sales? If you think it through, the reason for the question is to get Honda to realize if they they leave owners hanging it is going to kill sales.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Service advisor told me it was out 35mm, and based off my before and after pictures. I believe him.
I hadn't measured mine before realigning it but it had to be waaay off because the way I noticed it was that I just so happened to look out at my driver's side front tire while rolling to a stop and saw it yawing to the left badly. A closer look at the tires showed that the lugs were torn and frayed and some were worn down to the carcass. This was literally the same day I got bought the machine. (wasn't a good first impression to say the least)

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks Jackal.
My question was a simple one. Do you think your personal reviews (to friends) after giving a honest review of your experience with Honda has helped or hurt sales? If you think it through, the reason for the question is to get Honda to realize if they they leave owners hanging it is going to kill sales.

To answer your question. Yes I do believe opinions and experiences that friends, even strangers posting online about thier purchase do have an effect on sales, good and bad. The P1K seat heat is thier number one complaint, slipping clutches going out is also a significant concern posed by potiential buyers, I am sure both have caused some missed opportunities for sales.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks Jackal.
I know that I've personally blocked 12 sales of P1000-5s. A good friend of mine owns an alligator hunting and tour guide business that he runs on 4000 acres of Louisiana marshland. He was dead set on getting the 5 seaters because he liked the platform layout. After I told him how disappointed I was with mine, he wanted to see for himself so I took him for a ride. Ten minutes in it and he said "no way in hell can I charge $750.00 for a hunt and put my customers in this thing!"

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks Jackal.
I agree, hurt sales, but it will be years before it does, Honda has a loyal customer base, This not a Lexus, it's an ATV off road machine, they all ATV mgr's figure your going to take care of this kind of issues on your own, sad but true. Get over it and go have some fun!

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Jackal.
There is at least one member on here that purchased his machine because of him coming up to me as a total stranger at a gas station. Every time I take mine out I get questions and compliments on it. Usually the first question is, how much did it cost?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I hadn't measured mine before realigning it but it had to be waaay off because the way I noticed it was that I just so happened to look out at my driver's side front tire while rolling to a stop and saw it yawing to the left badly. A closer look at the tires showed that the lugs were torn and frayed and some were worn down to the carcass. This was literally the same day I got bought the machine. (wasn't a good first impression to say the least)
I hardly ride mine on payment or mine would have been the same. My Dad told me that all Honda ATVs are toed out for safety, keeps new owners when they turn sharply, keeps the fronts from digging in and floping on there side or rolling, makes since. I'm running a 1/16 of toe in now, but will increase it soon. Quit running payment! HA!

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hardly ride mine on payment or mine would have been the same. My Dad told me that all Honda ATVs are toed out for safety, keeps new owners when they turn sharply, keeps the fronts from digging in and floping on there side or rolling, makes since. I'm running a 1/16 of toe in now, but will increase it soon. Quit running payment! HA!
I keep running, but the payment finds me anyway!

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks Jackal.

Just my 2 cents.... This is one Machine with a couple of "issues"...Honda makes a LOT of machines and their reliability and quality reputation has been built over many years of great products. They didn't get that reputation by accident. They know what keeps them on top with folks and I'm sure they will address the issues with this machine in a proper way with a solid fix.
I don't have a P1K, so I don't claim to have the frustration that you and some others have... I also read on here a lot of folks that LOVE their P1K and have no complaints... So to answer your question: I think Honda knows what they are doing, and knows what would hurt their sales. They understand the reputation they worked so hard to build and I think they will do whatever has to be done to keep that reputation in tact.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just my 2 cents.... This is one Machine with a couple of "issues"...Honda makes a LOT of machines and their reliability and quality reputation has been built over many years of great products. They didn't get that reputation by accident. They know what keeps them on top with folks and I'm sure they will address the issues with this machine in a proper way with a solid fix.
I don't have a P1K, so I don't claim to have the frustration that you and some others have... I also read on here a lot of folks that LOVE their P1K and have no complaints... So to answer your question: I think Honda knows what they are doing, and knows what would hurt their sales. They understand the reputation they worked so hard to build and I think they will do whatever has to be done to keep that reputation in tact.
Well said.

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really want this machine to be successful. With success comes add-ons, lower prices on aftermarket items, and longevity of the production of the unit. If it doesn't succeed then we have Edsels. Sorry I tried to start a topic that I ultimately hoped might reach Honda and make them fix the issues. I have actually been a member of this forum longer than those who feel I am beating a dead horse. I don't live here but am an occasional visitor.
I didn't want to turn off sales but realized I did after friends bought something else. However I am not going to lie to friends about my experience and I actually told both of them to check out this forum before spending thousands.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!