P1000 Wrong tire for me

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a set of 5 - 28x10x14 Tusk Terrabites and fuel 14" 4/136 wheels, tires are very heavy 8 ply DOT. Ran them about 600 miles last year. put stock tires back on for plowing snow this winter. I removed plow and went for a ride yesterday with a group. I can't believe how much better the machine drives with the stock tires. Will be selling my Tusk Terrabites as I think all the tire weight is the problem. I am wondering if I should keep the wheels and try another tire as I really like them being all the same size. If I had not have put the stockers back on I don't think I would have figured this out. OK let the bashing begin.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I bought a set of 5 - 28x10x14 Tusk Terrabites and fuel 14" 4/136 wheels, tires are very heavy 8 ply DOT. Ran them about 600 miles last year. put stock tires back on for plowing snow this winter. I removed plow and went for a ride yesterday with a group. I can't believe how much better the machine drives with the stock tires. Will be selling my Tusk Terrabites as I think all the tire weight is the problem. I am wondering if I should keep the wheels and try another tire as I really like them being all the same size. If I had not have put the stockers back on I don't think I would have figured this out. OK let the bashing begin.
I agree about the Tusk during winter conditions! During the summer they are my preferred setup as warm temps change everything! Bighorns are tough to beat in cold temps!

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Keep the rims and get the bighorn 2.0s
They are 6 ply and are lighter. I love them on my overweight 700.
Winter or summer they won't let you down.

Reactions: trigger
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Black diamond XTR are better than stock and bighorn 2.0s.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keep the rims and get the bighorn 2.0s
They are 6 ply and are lighter. I love them on my overweight 700.
Winter or summer they won't let you down.

My experience with the Big Horn 2.0 is not good as they go flat a lot.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you weigh the terrabite tire and fuel wheel and let us know the total weight?

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I made the same mistake when I first bought tires. They were way to heavy. Not sure what your tusk weigh but I replaced the overweight tires I had with Maxxis Carnivores and dropped almost 13lbs. per corner. Made a huge difference in performance and all around easier on the machine. I've made several trips to RRB with the Carnivores and can say they are one tuff tire! No flats. They are not going to be a good road tire if you do much of that.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

No flaming here, you are correct.

I think people thought I was crazy for going back to OEM from the 28x10x14 Roctane XD, they are a tough tire, great in rocks and moderate mud, but they are heavy as hell.

Sure the OEM tires are not the best or toughest for particular situations, but they do damn well in many all around environments. Just got to run the recommended pressure and be mindful of the sidewalls in sharp rocks.

Keeping unsprung weight and rotational mass to the minimum is the key to great handling and performance all around. Prove me wrong.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The Terrabites are one of the lightest 8 plys there is. Have you tried different air pressures? You didn't mention if it was power, handling or ride comfort that you did not like.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Terrabites are one of the lightest 8 plys there is. Have you tried different air pressures? You didn't mention if it was power, handling or ride comfort that you did not like.

I agree that's a pretty light combination. I haven't noticed any I'll effects of a heavier tire with my QBTs on stock wheels or beadlocks.

I'm 51lbs per so a little closer to stock.

IMG 20190209 132756
IMG 20190209 132749

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
From my experience with the Terrabites as compared to the Bighorns in winter temps over the last few years...
  • Less traction than the Bighorns
  • The machine feels less stable
  • Poorer steering response
In warmer temps all these symptoms are non existent and the Terrabites show what they are capable of!

Reactions: Corona1
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All of the above

J

JTW

Just have to give it more skinny peddle... it’s a tradeoff between tire weight and durability. Less weight means less rubber. I can tell a noticeable difference having gone to the berserker 30’s... but damn they’re a tuff tire. And although I don’t quite have the same bottom end as before. You learn to drive it accordingly.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My experience with the Big Horn 2.0 is not good as they go flat a lot.
Are these the aftermarket 2.0 or the stock 2.0?

The stock 2.0 on the P1K are only 4 ply.

Are the consumer available 2.0 6 ply as bad to puncture?

J

JTW

Are these the aftermarket 2.0 or the stock 2.0?

The stock 2.0 on the P1K are only 4 ply.

Are the consumer available 2.0 6 ply as bad to puncture?
They will be a little better.. as an 8 ply will be a little better than a 6ply.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have 28x9 and 28x11 2.0's and I love them but we don't have large sharp rocks this far south.

Reactions: Superthrill

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!