BOX1

Talon X vs. R in East Coast Trails

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
This post is mainly geared toward Talon owners who ride in the East. Wooded trails, etc. I ride Hatfield McCoy a lot as well as other similar type trails in WV, and I am seeing positives to both the X and R in this type of terrain. What are others doing?

X Positives
Tighter turning radius
Potentially quicker and more agile steering
Perhaps a greater "fun factor" due to the agility and ability to "steer with the rear"
Contributed by Dragon21: You stay cleaner in the X because the wheels are tucked further in the wheel wells.

R Postives
Ride quality at slower / moderate trail speeds
Contributed by JACKAL: Longer wheel base can help with taller rock ledges and ground clearance.

Any other thoughts or opinions?

Last edited:
J

JohnnyT

Mar 14, 2019
IOWA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I would say the X is what you'll want.....but i don't own either. I Have seen more vids and read more about the Talon than I can handle. LOL
I was looking at the R for the last month..... 'bigger is better", right? But now I'am leaning toward the X for the handling..... more agile.

My two cents,
Johnny T

Last edited:
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think the X for HM... thats the route I would go. I was under the intial thought too that bigger is better, but I like how you stay cleaner in the X with the wheels tucked under, and better turning radius

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
I Have seen more vids and read more about the Talon than I can handle.

'bigger is better", right? But now I'am leaning toward the X for the handling..... more agile.
Thanks JT, LOL no kidding on the research end. YouTube, Facebook, you name it - finally a SXS I'm excited about!

@Hondasxs says the X!
Thanks! I think you are right.

I think the X for HM... thats the route I would go. I was under the intial thought too that bigger is better, but I like how you stay cleaner in the X with the wheels tucked under, and better turning radius
The staying cleaner factor is definitely a plus for the X that I forgot to include in the OP. From day one I was thinking X, but then the rental business at Hatfield McCoy that is adding the Talon to their fleet went with the R instead of the X. When I asked if they were going to have the X too, they said, "Just the R we've dug into it pretty far and it seems to be a more stable machine." But I am thinking that maybe that's just a smoke screen for "it made better business sense at the time". No doubt many buyers won't be able to overcome the "bigger is better" mindset.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think that rental business has to look at it from liability as well. The R is defiantly more stable with better suspension and wider stance. But that doesn't mean the X is unstable. There is also the possibility that they picked up the first Talon they could find which was the R

Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV

Lifetime Member
Mar 23, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon R
On Hatfield and McCoy the trails are mostly wide ....I had my r on bearwallow this weekend and its width didn't effect the way we rode, i have rode on other trails that are much narrower but as far as h&m size is no problem.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
This post is mainly geared toward Talon owners who ride in the East. Wooded trails, etc. I ride Hatfield McCoy a lot as well as other similar type trails in WV, and I am seeing positives to both the X and R in this type of terrain. What are others doing?

X Positives
Tighter turning radius
Perhaps a greater "fun factor" due to the agility and ability to "steer with the rear"
Contributed by Dragon21: You stay cleaner in the X because the wheels are tucked further in the wheel wells.

R Postives

Looks like you're spot on, also with the R the longer wheelbase can help with the taller rock ledges at steep angle up and down.

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
On Hatfield and McCoy the trails are mostly wide ....I had my r on bearwallow this weekend and its width didn't effect the way we rode, i have rode on other trails that are much narrower but as far as h&m size is no problem.

Yeah, very glad we don't have to deal with width restrictions in WV. Bearwallow is a fun system and seems to be the most underrated among public opinion, but don't tell anyone ;). My avatar is from the Rockhouse system, my Rincon in the lower right corner. Congrats on the new machine!

Looks like you're spot on, also with the R the longer wheelbase can help with the taller rock ledges at steep angle up and down.

Good point, I have also heard that a longer wheelbase lends to a smoother and more forgiving ride. My experience comes from an 800 RZR S 60" model which had a short wheelbase and rode pretty rough. That's being kind, it sortof rode like a mule lol. Seriously, my Rincon has a smoother ride than the Rzr did.

Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV

Lifetime Member
Mar 23, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks much rockhouse is a blast to ride also, some people will really like the high travel of the "R" I drove over rocks and other obstacles that never touched the skidplates, i am amazed at how much these machine slowly moves without throttling it up to 2200 rpm to get the belt to engage. Yes it will be tight in some areas but the 17" travel is very nice.

Reactions: Mudwing and Farmer
RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
i am amazed at how much these machine slowly moves without throttling it up to 2200 rpm to get the belt to engage.

True on all counts! My least favorite aspect of the CVT has been that it free-wheels once you get below a certain RPM. It's like shifting into Neutral, and then you're all on the brake. I know you can throw money at a CVT to tune it to your liking, but the types of upgrades you have to do to get it to engage at lower RPM and hold on the other end are very costly. RZR XP1K + cost of a DuraClutch = price of the Talon lol. I have sat in a Talon X but haven't had a chance to ride either one. In watching videos online, many say that they don't hardly touch the brake because of the outstanding job the transmission is doing.

Reactions: Mudwing
S

SmokeyMike

Jan 25, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased the X weekend before last and took it to windrock Tennessee for 5 days and WOW the suspension soaked up everything we thru at it from rock crawling with no bottoming out and we took a pretty bumpy trail @ 45 mph and it was a comfortable ride in the cab.....what an awesome machine

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went back and forth on the X vs R. Finally settled on X as I drive 95% trails. Maneuverability and handling are pramount. After watching reviews I am glad I went with X. The turning radius on the R would be problematic in some tight trails. I also like the fender protection with the wheelbase closer to frame. When you watch the SXSblog guys at Sand Hallow, you will want an X for trails. If I ran more open road or dunes it would be an R as there is little question the extra suspension limits and wheelbase are a benefit for ride comfort.

B

Bigduke6

Aug 19, 2017
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a great discussion guys. I’m trying to decide between the X or the R to go with my 1K 5 Deluxe. Planning to part ways with the RZR 900S To make room for it. Thanks again for all the info.

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
When you watch the SXSblog guys at Sand Hallow, you will want an X for trails.

You're right, Nick Soos (sp?) from SXSblog definitely seemed to be more excited about the X than the R in the videos from Sand Hollow because of its awesome handling. I've been wondering if they will get an X in their fleet or if the R is all they'll be able to swing. PS congrats on the new ride!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
True on all counts! My least favorite aspect of the CVT has been that it free-wheels once you get below a certain RPM. It's like shifting into Neutral, and then you're all on the brake. I know you can throw money at a CVT to tune it to your liking, but the types of upgrades you have to do to get it to engage at lower RPM and hold on the other end are very costly. RZR XP1K + cost of a DuraClutch = price of the Talon lol. I have sat in a Talon X but haven't had a chance to ride either one. In watching videos online, many say that they don't hardly touch the brake because of the outstanding job the transmission is doing.
Checked brake pad wear at 2000 miles, getting ready for the Take Over, there fine!

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Checking to see if anyone has any additional thoughts on this subject. Did you or are you debating the choice between the two models? I'm leaning X but still haven't decided. Thanks.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
All depends where you ride.

Reactions: Mudwing
H

HondaTech

X Positives
Tighter turning radius

R Postives
Contributed by JACKAL: Longer wheel base can help with taller rock ledges and ground clearance.

The guy who purchased our first and only R model said the show speed ride quality is horrible. He leads rides down in Harlan County Ky, first ride out he said they were mostly doing around 7-10mph and itll beat you up.

But this weekend he got to do some faster (over 30mph) riding and said the ride is incredible at speed.

Also said turning radius was a s big a deal as he originally thought. But the mud slinging can be pretty bad.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The guy who purchased our first and only R model said the show speed ride quality is horrible. He leads rides down in Harlan County Ky, first ride out he said they were mostly doing around 7-10mph and itll beat you up.

But this weekend he got to do some faster (over 30mph) riding and said the ride is incredible at speed.

Also said turning radius was a s big a deal as he originally thought. But the mud slinging can be pretty bad.

The one I saw this week had the shocks setup incorrectly and the tender spring was not being utilized.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!