• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon X4 grinding on low and even popping out of gear

Discussion in 'General Talon 1000 Discussion' started by Jefferson87, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Jefferson87

Jefferson87 Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon x4
    I've searched this a little, but haven't found a definitive answer.

Machine is basically brand new, just had the 20 hr service done at the dealer, also had them adjust the shift cable. It helped but didn't solve the problem.

Occasionally, after it's in low, I'll get on it and it will pop back out. I feel like the gate for low isn't designed correctly. I saw a post where a guy clearanced the gate further back.

2. Killer223

Killer223 Member

do not let it grind!!!! it ruins the gears inside and you'll be SOl. take it back to dealership and tell them to fix it correctly. paper trail for warranty.

Wallace and CumminsPusher like this.
  3. hondabob

hondabob Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-3, Other Brand
    Like Killer says don't let it grind. All the belt drive brands are the same with a sub trans. With the engine at idle its important to shift quickly into gear. If it will pop out of gear the gear dogs may be damaged and need to be replaced. The shop manual says the engine needs to be removed to remove the sub trans. I think it can be removed by just lifting the engine up a few inches. It really does suck to have a problem like this especially with a new machine. Hope this info helps and keep us informed with the fix.

The shift cable should be adjusted so its centered in the more narrow neutral gate. When its fully into gear the shift lever should be in the center of the shift gate for Reverse, High, and Low. The shift lever should move forward and aft in the wider gear shift gates. If its preloaded forward you should have the --- on the display showing its not in gear. Never heard of one jumping out of gear but several have had the loud bang as it slams into gear when you apply throttle with the --- on the display showing its not fully into gear.

For testing you can do some shifting with the key on engine not running. Shift it slowly into reverse from park and you may get the --- instead of the R on the display. The shift lever will be loaded forward in the reverse shift gate. This may be easy to do on another Talon. Move the shift lever more toward Neutral then back to the reverse shift gate and it should be centered and wiggle back and forth.

My Talon has over 7,600 miles on it now and it is difficult to shift into low occasionally with a cold engine and it shifts perfect after the engine warms up. If it won't go into low I can move it a couple of inches in high or reverse and it goes into low ok.

4. Jefferson87

Ownership:
    Talon x4
    Thank you for the info, it goes a long with what I have read.

I shouldn't have to sit there and stare at the shift indicator every time I go from reverse to low. What is the point of the gate if it can be in the gate and not in gear?

TripleB likes this.
  5. hondabob

Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-3, Other Brand
    When I shift into gear I wiggle the shift lever back and forth in the shift gate to make sure its fully into gear, I don't look at the display unless the shift lever is loaded forward. You half to stop to shift and it must be at idle too so it only takes a split second to wiggle the shift lever.

The shift cable pulls the sub trans shift lever when you shift forward and it pushes the sub trans shift lever when you shift out of park. You may have a bad shift cable. Your dealer should be able to fix it in a day or two no matter what is wrong.

The shift gate doesn't hold it into gear the star washer on the end of the shift drum does. Your dealer should make sure the shift cable is adjusted properly and if it is they need to find the problem and fix it ASAP since its brand new. I don't think any of the forum guys have had a Pioneer 1000 or Talon jump out of gear. There is a false neutral between high and low. If the problem is easily reproduceable it should be easy to fix. If it will jump out of low range the low range gear dogs are damaged and need to be replaced.

I broke the low range on my Pioneer 1000 but I abused it by trying to pull my buddy out of the snow. It was like a 6,000 pound load. I was pissed and jerked it enough times to damage the engagement gears. We ended up shoveling it out and towing him in high range. He broke a belt. I replaced the high and low range gears and both shift forks. Good Luck.

lowrange.jpg

Plumber32 and TripleB like this.
  6. Jefferson87

Ownership:
    Talon x4
    I played with the shifter a little bit the other day. With the stock gate removed, it shifts into low perfectly every time. I really think the stock gate is the problem. I thought about making my own, but I wasn't sure what the dealer would think of it, and I didn't have any decent material.

I also talked to the dealer and they said they can look at it on Thursday. He said they may clearance the gate for low if that's what it takes.

Russ989 likes this.
  7. hondabob

Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-3, Other Brand
    Compare it with another talon. It should shift into low the same. I did clearance my shift gate for low but mine has over 8,000 miles on it now. I will get it fixed at 20,000 miles if it doesn't get any worse. Only on cold start I sometimes have to move it forward or back a couple of inches to get into low. After driving for about 10 to 15 minutes it shifts ok. It is important to shift it quickly into gear.

20191120_100717_resized_1.jpg 20191120_101348_resized_1.jpg

#7 hondabob, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    TripleB likes this.
  8. Jefferson87

Ownership:
    Talon x4
    I don't know, maybe the 4 seater cable has more stretch? Mine has less than 200 miles.

9. hondabob

Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-3, Other Brand
    The 4 seater has a longer shift cable and so does the Pioneer 1000. Both ends of the cable have the tube crimped into the cable housing so it will move and follow the cable. If it separates like it on my Pioneer 1000 a bit before 12,000 miles it won't shift into low gear. When the tube separates the cable turns into a rope.

20180305_165706_resized.jpg

20180305_165721_resized.jpg

20180308_111659_resized.jpg

20180308_113857_resized.jpg

TripleB likes this.
  10. Montecresto

Montecresto Montecresto el segundo
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    500, 1000-3, 1000-5
  11. hondabob

Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-3, Other Brand
    Most won't have any problems with the shift cable. I have to stop frequently to go through gates so my shifter gets a lot of use. Most will not have a problem. The tube pivots at the crimp joint and will eventually wear out. The Honda cable costs about $30 so its not a big deal and on the Pioneer 1000 if you really need low range you can lift up the seat and shift it by hand. All the other gears will shift ok. The Polaris shift cable breaks in half at the pivot point and its a smaller cable.

TripleB and Montecresto like this.