BOX1

Talon X4 on tracks "build"

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Not sure if this will be an actual "build" but I will try to update this with whatever changes I make. I don't see much on talons in serious snow or on tracks, so hopefully I can provide some useful information. I copied and pasted my post from another thread about the tracks as well.

Been a member on pirate4x4.com for over 15 years, so I'm not new to forums, just new to sxs's.

IMG 20191231 160003 01

MVIMG 20200101 020121

After loosing my 1 ton 4runner on 40" tires in the fire in 2018 I had to get another toy to go play in the snow. A few of my buddies have rzr's with tracks, but I've never been a big Polaris fan. So after some research, I picked up a talon and some tracks :D

Last night was the first trip on the tracks, man it's a blast. You can go places that guys even on huge 54s can't dream of.

I will say the trans isn't super happy in the snow in auto or sport mode. It likes to jump back and forth between gears. I found using manual mode when really mashing worked better. I haven't got to ride in another rig yet, but I do wonder if the cvt may have a slight advantage here. It's what's snow mobiles use after all. Either way, it's an all season machine for us, so I'm still glad I went honda, I didn't want a rubber band trans.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
MVIMG 20191229 135139

Only Pic I have of it on the 32s, only ran one tank on the stock 28s. I had the 32s from a wanna be sxs project, so I figured why not.

20190722 180352

I'll put the 28s on it and keep using it as a mobile wood shed, lol.

So as of now, the list of changes that I have done, am doing or will do is the following:

32x10x15 carnivores - done on stock wheels for now, I like the sti HD A1s in all black, and may put the 32s on a set come spring/summer. Also tossing the idea of putting some cheap LT's (235s, 30x9.5s or 31x10.5s) on the stock wheels for messing around my neighborhood (pavement, dirt roads and easy trails)

Tracks for deep snow - done

Honda glass windshield with wiper, hard rear windshield, and soft upper doors - dealer took too long to get parts in, wiper and rear window are done, glass windshield still in box. I may try to seal up some of the gaps in the stock doors to minimize drafts as well.

Inferno heater - installed, works killer, but planning on adding their utv extension kit for the rear area. UTV Extender Kit for Standard Cab - Inferno Cab Heaters - UTV Heaters, Heater Kits

Front 6k viper wide drum winch, kfi mount, rear viper 4.5k narrow drum winch, super atv receiver that I will Fab the mount off of, 2nd battery with CA mount - on order from fueledutv.com (check them out, my fake internet friend from pirate works there and hooked me up good) few of the parts have came in. I like how viper includes all the extra stuff with their winches. Even the "max" I got for the rear, came with the little rubber stopper, a snatch block, a generic mount and a handlebar/cab switch.

Rear bench for our 3 kids - no one makes one yet(bs sand and prp are planning on coming out with one soon)

Fab my own bumpers, rock sliders(nerf bars) and possibly add x or v bracing to the stock cage- I have some 1 3/4x120, 1 1/2x120 and some 1 1/2x090. Not sure what I'll use, definitely want to keep weight down. Maybe 090 for the bumpers and 120 for the Sliders.

Reverse lights - got some 10w single led pods off Amazon and a reverse light wire kit from the honda sxs club. Installed.

Dome light - rampage $14 Amazon special, uses 3 aaa's. Installed, works great for 5he price.

RAMPAGE PRODUCTS 769801 Universal Roll Bar Mount for LED Light, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046KIABG/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Mirror/light combo - have a $99 pair of xprite rand ones in my Amazon cart, but I wanted to see what the glass windshield and soft doors looked like first

Some type of aux light for the bumper or roof - trying to do some research and find something that will stay warm enough to prevent snow and ice build up. The tracks fling snow forward and cover the stock headlights in no time. I'm thinking either some 4" hid or possibly a 4" single high power led might do it. Something I can add amber lenses too also would be nice for when it's snowing.

Heated seats/seat covers - haven't looked into this much. I thought just some covers would be nice so I could ditch them in the summer, but having heaters installed into the stock seats would probably be better.

Snow screen for air filter - I've seen videos of sxs's getting the air filter completely plugged with snow. No idea yet how the talon design will work in dusty snow conditions

Storage - using one of those stackable black totes with the yellow lids now. I also have a pair that are half the size and nest into the lid next to each other. The plan is that I can bring any combination of one, two or all 3, depending on the trip. I'm not a fan of how the lid can collect snow and water, but I already had them. Also got these dry bags, thanks to a post on here

Acrodo Waterproof Backpack Dry Bag - 15 Liter Floating Rolltop Dry Backpack for Kayaking, Water Resistant Pouch for Beach, Boating, Camping, Swimming & Fishing, Perfect Outdoors Gift https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q3M1P7H/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Excited about those, especially for the price. Got these in and they are great, I may get another larger one as well. These are a little smaller than a 5 gal bucket.

I think that's all I have in mind for now. It will mostly be aimed for deep snow adventures for now. Once the snow melts, I'll definitely be looking at a full skid set and a few other things.

Last edited:
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can't wait to what you do ,I 235's on my p1000 work great never had a flat ,work on trails

Reactions: Russ989
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pics

20180426 184425 20191109 122423

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Can't wait to what you do ,I 235's on my p1000 work great never had a flat ,work on trails

Nice, there are definitely a few cheap options in that size range. A few under $100 ea on Amazon :D

What is the actual size on the 235s in inches? Like a 29x9.5?

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
F you honda, $300 for your stupid switch panel that's "required" for the wiper kit, and it does come with everything I need? Accessory sub harness sold separately?

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
F you honda, $300 for your stupid switch panel that's "required" for the wiper kit, and it does come with everything I need? Accessory sub harness sold separately?
Honda electrical accessories are definitely priced high. I 100% agree with your statement.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure if this will be an actual "build" but I will try to update this with whatever changes I make. I don't see much on talons in serious snow or on tracks, so hopefully I can provide some useful information. I copied and pasted my post from another thread about the tracks as well.

Been a member on pirate4x4.com for over 15 years, so I'm not new to forums, just new to sxs's.

View attachment 173667

View attachment 173668

After loosing my 1 ton 4runner on 40" tires in the fire in 2018 I had to get another toy to go play in the snow. A few of my buddies have rzr's with tracks, but I've never been a big Polaris fan. So after some research, I picked up a talon and some tracks :D

Last night was the first trip on the tracks, man it's a blast. You can go places that guys even on huge 54s can't dream of.

I will say the trans isn't super happy in the snow in auto or sport mode. It likes to jump back and forth between gears. I found using manual mode when really mashing worked better. I haven't got to ride in another rig yet, but I do wonder if the cvt may have a slight advantage here. It's what's snow mobiles use after all. Either way, it's an all season machine for us, so I'm still glad I went honda, I didn't want a rubber band trans.
That thing looks bad ass!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yup, Honda can suck it with some of their prices, I'll build my own instead.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Yup, Honda can suck it with some of their prices, I'll build my own instead.

It was just one of those "what's $300 more" when I was buying the machine. Said it's "required" for the wiper kit. At least I got 15% off all that stuff I bought at the same time I got the machine.

Also, the inferno heater is trying to occupy the same space as the wiper bracket. They didn't think maybe someone would be running a heater and a wiper?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It’s not required for wiper kit.
9A27E881 1ED6 44FD 8F5E 97F3F1F3BCB9

This is a Switchpro 9100,with the Switchpro RCR12 you would only need the winch switch to run everything in the Talon.

the Talon wiper/washer doesn’t ever require a relay like the pioneer version. So it’s even easier. 2B720DD0 A7A2 40CD 8811 5FA77DE712B0

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
It’s not required for wiper kit.
View attachment 175073

This is a Switchpro 9100,with the Switchpro RCR12 you would only need the winch switch to run everything in the Talon.

the Talon wiper/washer doesn’t ever require a relay like the pioneer version. So it’s even easier. View attachment 175074

I realize that, that's why I put in quotes. I bought the front and rear windshields, wiper kit, upper and lower door pieces and the switch panel the day I got the machine. At the time I was supposed to be working 6 days a week and figured I'd just have the dealer do everything. Turns out I'm off for a few weeks so I'm doing it all myself. Had I known it would have been this way, I'd have researched and ordered a different panel or had my buddy who owns 12voltguy.com make me one.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I updated the op with progress I've made.

I went and picked up the "sub harness" or whatever they call it, $54 for a few wires. :rolleyes:

I was thinking about how I am going to add my own accessories to this switch panel and I realized that it doesn't even incorporate a fuse block. So I'm over $400 into this thing and I'm supposed to have a ghetto in line fuse for each accessory :mad:

Then I realized that the wires won't even reach my my battery since the switch panel is for a 2 seater. OK, it's all going back and I ordered everything I need to build my own, with fuse block for $150 on Amazon. And that includes bulk wire and terminals.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Got my 6k winch for the front. I'll say, I like how viper includes so much extras with the winch. Snatch block, rubber stopper stopper deal, in cab switch, generic mount, ect. Proceeded to wire it in along with my switch panel and fuse blocks. Over the last few days

Got impatient waiting for the battery mount so I made my own.

IMG 20200110 131724 01

Swiss cheesed it

IMG 20200110 162008

Man doing wiring clean is a slow process. I have an 80 amp relay powering both fuse blocks, the more square one is for whatever that doesn't need a switch (cig lighter, winch remote, ect) the long one has all the wires prerouted to the switch panel inside so when I add things in the future it's just a matter of connecting the hot side to the this fuse block. A lot of work for nothing I have yet, but will be well worth it in the long run.

IMG 20200110 202706

Last edited:
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
MVIMG 20200111 154137

Never posted the reverse light, I used a 1/2" drill to drill the factory welded nut off, then bolted the mount in place with the factory bed bolt and the nut that came with the light.

IMG 20200111 080524

Got the enclosure on, it's definitely high quality stuff.

IMG 20200111 080023

But, my stupid dealer didn't know that it was designed to work with the factory soft rear window and not the hard one. I was kinda pissed at first, but figured out a solution.

IMG 20200111 091035

IMG 20200111 091148

I just so happened to just get some 2" velcro. I cut the rough side in half and stuck it to the window, then used the soft side to connect them. Works well, but it does kinda look like gorilla tape, maybe eventually I'll sew some soft side on.

IMG 20200111 141734 01

IMG 20200111 140317 01

Another thing I'm not supper happy about is the windshield fitment. It has the almost perfect contour, except in some spots there Is about an 1/8" gap. I even slotted the holes in the cage that the windshield mounts to and shoved it down as far as I could. I ended up tucking the rubber back under to help, but it looks kinda s***ty now.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 176095

Never posted the reverse light, I used a 1/2" drill to drill the factory welded nut off, then bolted the mount in place with the factory bed bolt and the nut that came with the light.

View attachment 176096

Got the enclosure on, it's definitely high quality stuff.

View attachment 176097

But, my stupid dealer didn't know that it was designed to work with the factory soft rear window and not the hard one. I was kinda pissed at first, but figured out a solution.

View attachment 176098

View attachment 176099

I just so happened to just get some 2" velcro. I cut the rough side in half and stuck it to the window, then used the soft side to connect them. Works well, but it does kinda look like gorilla tape, maybe eventually I'll sew some soft side on.

View attachment 176100

View attachment 176101

Another thing I'm not supper happy about is the windshield fitment. It has the almost perfect contour, except in some spots there Is about an 1/8" gap. I even slotted the holes in the cage that the windshield mounts to and shoved it down as far as I could. I ended up tucking the rubber back under to help, but it looks kinda s***ty now.
The windshield fitment is something I’ve never been impressed with on any of my pioneers. I had the Honda OEM on my 500 and 700-4 and they were good but never did seal everything out. When it would rain really hard the water would slowly work under the seal and come in on the dash. I bought the Super Atv for my 1000-5 and I like the functionality but it’s even worse as far as if I were to close up the cab. I have to agree that Honda is lacking in that department. It pains me to say that Polaris has it figured out.

Reactions: Mudwing
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The windshield fitment is something I’ve never been impressed with on any of my pioneers. I had the Honda OEM on my 500 and 700-4 and they were good but never did seal everything out. When it would rain really hard the water would slowly work under the seal and come in on the dash. I bought the Super Atv for my 1000-5 and I like the functionality but it’s even worse as far as if I were to close up the cab. I have to agree that Honda is lacking in that department. It pains me to say that Polaris has it figured out.
Agreed! Some of Honda's accessories fit like sh*t. There's a few aftermarket glass windshields out there now that look like they fit much better but they weren't available when I bought the [HASHTAG]#t1kx[/HASHTAG]

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4

Mine has about 1/8" air gap in a few places. Driving in the rain would be horrible. The seal has the perfect shape, I'm not sure why they made it too short

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine has about 1/8" air gap in a few places. Driving in the rain would be horrible. The seal has the perfect shape, I'm not sure why they made it too short
I’ve thought about trying a heat gun to see if it would let the seal relax a little but haven’t got around to it yet.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Well we went on a cruise yesterday and back today. I definitely have to seal up some air leaks. There is one on both sides that blows cold air right at your crotch o_O the tilt wheel slot on the driver side and around the grab handle on the passenger side. Plus a few other small ones. Also planning on some floor mats to prevent water splashing up through the drain holes in the floor. Not sure if the honda ones are worth it or not. Kinda sick of hondas accessories at this point :rolleyes:

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!