P1000 X50's P1K5-SE Build

X50

X50

Lifetime Member
Oct 13, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We live on an 80+ acre rural farm in WV and decided on the P1K5-SE to serve as both as a farm UTV and for trips into the nearest towns (about 15 miles). The people we bought the farm from had a 500 cc SXS that the husband drove us around the farm in. It could barely climb the hillside to make it from the bottom to the ridgetop, about 300' higher in elevation, so I knew we needed something much larger.

The closest one I could find that was on order and not already being held by a deposit was in Charleston, SC, about 16 hours roundtrip from our WV farm. We put a deposit down on it in August and picked it up just before Thanksgiving. The machine was actually built in April, but appears to have been sitting outside while waiting on some part(s) to complete it. The bolts holding the side panels on have some minor corrosion in the hex slots that is consistent to having been exposed to the elements and there is a spot of rust on the shifter that you can see looking down through the dash. I'll hit the rust with a wire brush and put some rust converter on it.

So far I've added:
  1. Honda Hard Front Doors
  2. Honda Hard Mid Panel
  3. Honda Outside Rearview Mirrors
  4. Honda Drop In Bed Liner
  5. Seatbelt Override
  6. TurnSignal Pro w/ Horn, License Plate Light/Mount, & Emergency Flashers
  7. Battery Powered Dome Light and Cargo Light
  8. Combination Lock on Glovebox
  9. MudBuster XL Rear Mud Guards
I've also got all the parts for:
  1. Second Battery (Including Isolator)
  2. Second (third since the SE already has a second one) Fuse Block
  3. Side Lights
  4. Backup Lights (already have the club store harness/switch installed)
  5. PBR Nanny Plate Replacement
I'll probably order the Swamp Donkey audio system soon.

Many thanks to the people that have posted their builds/mods here; the forum has been a wealth of ideas and inspiration!

PXL 20211222 215523966
PXL 20211222 215547468

Reactions: Remington
X50

X50

Lifetime Member
Oct 13, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hard Mid Panel Install Notes:

1. Remove the roof before installing the mid panel, or at least unclamp it. I struggled to close the mid panel clamps for a while before I came in and searched the forum, finding a suggestion to remove the roof. It would have been nice if Honda put that into the install directions.

2. The plastic that "closes" the gap between the bed and the tube along the back of the front seats hit on the mid panel as the bed was being raised/lowered. I trimmed maybe an 1/8" off it with a razor knife to fix it.

X50

X50

Lifetime Member
Oct 13, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
License Plate Light/Mount Install Notes:

While I really like the TurnSignal Pro kit, the license plate light/mount needs improvement. The light is the large type that you typically see on trailers instead of something much lower profile. If you look at the bottom picture on the first post in the thread, you can see how low I had to mount it so that the bed would clear it when dumped. I'll have to put in a hitch extender when I use the ball so that the coupler won't hit the license plate. A lower profile light would have allowed the plate to be mounted higher.

X50

X50

Lifetime Member
Oct 13, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda Drop In Bed Liner Install Notes:

I went with the full bed liner to keep stuff from finding its way into the rear seats. I didn't screw it in so that I can quickly remove it to use the rear seats. The cutouts on the sides towards the rear for the two D rings were not cut high enough to allow the D rings to fit thru. I used a couple different metal nippers to raise the cutouts almost 1/4".

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice looking ride and welcome to the site and the new obsession. Becareful of this site these guys are really good and helping you spend your money.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington and X50
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking good. I've been thinking about getting a drop in bed liner for the same reason

Reactions: Remington
X50

X50

Lifetime Member
Oct 13, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda Rearview Mirror Mod Notes:

The SE comes with the Honda rearview mirror mounted on the front bar. Before I installed the hard mid panel, I never drove the machine on the road for any distance so I don't know if the problem was always there or caused by the mid panel. While driving about 30 miles on roads today, I noticed that the rearview mirror was useless for anything more than about 10' behind me due to the angle of the mirror coupled with the size/location of the window in the mid panel. It also seemed when mounted in the center of the bar that it was a long glance away from looking forward.

I took it out and noticed that the mirror could be reversed on the mounting clamp so that it hangs lower, giving a more straight-on view thru the mid panel window. I reversed it and reinstalled it to the left of center on the bar. I'll have to see how it works on the next road trip, but the view seems much better in the driveway.

PXL 20211222 225358041

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Looks good my man! Keep it up!

X50

X50

Lifetime Member
Oct 13, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dome and Cargo Light Install Notes:

I was looking for something quick and easy to install for a dome light in the cab and another for the bed. I may eventually put in hardwired lights, but I need to get back to non-Honda projects. I came across these on Amazon: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B08CD9X6KG/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I'll have to see how they hold up, but they seem decently built and put out a good bit of light. The only (minor) negative is that the straps are too long so that once you've got them snugged on the tubes, there is about 2" of extra strap that doesn't attach to itself. Not a huge deal as it can be easily trimmed or just tucked between the roof and the tube. The one on the rear tube does an excellent job of lighting up the bed.

There are two versions of these lights, the newer ones (linked above) that have a high/medium switch and the older ones that have a simple on/off switch. There are multiple vendors with slightly varying prices. The ones I linked were available for quick delivery to WV so you might check out some of the others.

PXL 20211222 225306690

PXL 20211222 230214332

B

BechynFarms

Nov 7, 2022
Midwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda Drop In Bed Liner Install Notes:

I went with the full bed liner to keep stuff from finding its way into the rear seats. I didn't screw it in so that I can quickly remove it to use the rear seats. The cutouts on the sides towards the rear for the two D rings were not cut high enough to allow the D rings to fit thru. I used a couple different metal nippers to raise the cutouts almost 1/4".

Reactions: Smitty335
X50

X50

Lifetime Member
Oct 13, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
do you have the link for the cargo bed liner?
(This is the 2016-2021 1000-5 version.)

I bought it through a dealer to save on the oversize shipping charges.

After using it for a year, I am VERY happy with it.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!