BOX1

P700 Yep, I'm a moron

Reel1

Reel1

May 20, 2016
Here and There
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thread title says it all so keep that in mind as you read further.

So, here I am at my vacation home, family loaded up for a little spring drive around the forest to see what's what in my adopted state of Idaho. Moving at the speed of a herd of turtles we get the jackets, water bottles, hats and gloves, snacks and a bunch of other random needed items for our afternoon outing.

Key goes in, starts right up, put in gear, gas pedal down, sputter die. Hmmm. Repeat same except now engine sounds "funny" as my wife put it. Couple more tries, nope, we're not going anywhere. Insert string of favorite expletives most of which I let spew forth.

Go back through my head of the pre-flight checklist...oil level checked, yep, good. Just for grins check again, still good. Added gas this morning since it was low so not out of gas, scratch head. Ran fine yesterday, scratch head more. Insert slightly more creative string of expletives, only some of which did I vocalize.

Everyone back inside, alternative plan for afternoon developed which no longer includes wandering off into the hills. Start thinking about remediation of the issue which is absolutely complicated by the fact that I live 1,200 miles away and I'm leaving the next morning. Spend afternoon in a daze, can't really connect, still sorting what's going on. Old gas I tell myself, perhaps it's just old gas. Afternoon turns to evening. Neighbor wanders in to help an apparent over stock situation in our wine cabinet. After a couple of glasses he weighs in that his machine, an ancient Honda atv, did the same thing, says something about fuel lines and having to address an issue in the carburetor. He's mechanical, I'm not. Having relieved us of the burden of an "extra" bottle of Merlot he wanders home.

Then it hits me. Like a ton of bricks. Like "realizing when unloading the truck that oh my god I left all my fishing reels in my reel bag on the public dock" feeling. Yes I did that. Remember my thread subject line. What if that wasn't gas in that gas can? What if it was diesel? Could I have done that? Could I have found yet another level of stupid. Am I really "that guy"? So out to the garage I go hoping against hope that under that grime on the can there wasn't a big "D" in sharpie. And then, there it was, faded, smudged, but there. D. Oh s***. I put diesel into my purdy, still shiny, barely even broken in, and oh so fun Honda. About 2 gallons worth. Insert full, ripping, and even more creative string of expletives, _fully_ vocalized.

Immediately grab a hose and can and throw myself onto the dirt next to the family's workhorse and spit, choke and eventually siphon the tank as empty as I could get it. Carcinogens be damned, there wasn't any way to stop me. I was in full froth.

In goes, clean, beautiful fresh gas. Verified fresh.

Here goes, key in, start baby, start. Nope.

Some sort of vague promise that I'll be good and never ever do things that I shouldn't, call to the almighty. Please oh please just start.

Voila. Sputters to life. Stays alive. Gas pedal down, roars to life. O.k. looking good. Let her idle for some time, collect myself and give some thought that I might actually have to live up to my end of the deal with the almighty. Into gear and away I go. Not climb the mountain or rip around at full speed but into gear and drive around a bit. No noticeable issue, not sputtering, choking or stalling. Rattles like she always has.

Phew, I think. Into the garage she goes.

Now with a few days and 1,200 miles in between, wondering. Have I done any long term damage? Aside from the pretty damn obvious "be more careful", "get a better fuel management system", "use a siphon pump you could've really hurt yourself" etc. I'm putting this out there to those mechanically inclined for your opinion about the long term damage thing.

Thoughts please and if you could be gentle about it that'd be appreciated too :)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Diesel won’t hurt a gas rig so much like the other way around. You just “lubricated things” lol. Just enjoy your next day! s*** happens!
Where in Idaho?

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No problems other than maybe a plug but a good hot ride should clean her up.

Remember there is a reason that when you go to the store and ask for a "Diesel" can,
they hand you a YELLOW one!!!!!!

Rinconruss

Rinconruss

Jan 10, 2018
Lakeland Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Funny but familiar... I dis this to a dirt bike back in the day. Was a little easier to drain it but i know how you feel. Run it. Leave the spark plugs in it. It's a Honda so you should always carry a spare spark plugs in the glove box.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
My friend did this with heating oil.... His bike blew up after.... my whole life I have thought it was from that oil.I searched thread after thread last night and find out some people do it deliberately on some 2 stroke engines..I learn something every day...I too have a red can with a big D painted on it too... I better get a yellow can....

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep. What everyone else said. Diesel won't damage a gas engine. You're fine.
I don't know if your O2 sensor will sense something and try to adjust.
You still have a little diesel in your gas (tablespoon or a cup?) your next tank will run better.

BTW: very well written. I had to laugh.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it makes you feel any better, I loaded up my mower Sunday and took it to my Mom's (about 30 minutes away) in case hers didn't want to start after sitting all winter. I pulled in her drive and suddenly realized I left the keys on the counter at home. Hers didn't give me any trouble, but it didn't help me feel any better. Felt like a dummy the entire afternoon.

Reactions: Mudwing
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone that can write that well and keep the reader interested is by no means a Moron. Just put a label on the gas cap saying "Gas Goes Here". And during your preflight inspection make sure you have removed your Pitot Tube cover, that is very important on Honda Pioneers they can stall without warning.

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Anyone that can write that well and keep the reader interested is by no means a Moron. Just put a label on the gas cap saying "Gas Goes Here". And during your preflight inspection make sure you have removed your Pitot Tube cover, that is very important on Honda Pioneers they can stall without warning.

Power off stall I’m assuming .... I prefer the power on. LOL.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Gas cans are 10 bucks and diesel cans are twelve bucks. I hate paying two bucks more for a yellow can but it is worth it in the long run as I fill my diesel and gas cans at the same time. At least the new cans have the quick pour spout.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
We rode motorcycles to Daytona for Biketoberfest about 7 years straight. Usually spent the night in Savannah on the way down. Got up one morning to punch er on in to the beach, but had to fill up first. My buddy kept saying, "Is your gas pump nozzle weird? This damn thing won't stay in my tank..." He didn't realize til he finally got it full that it was diesel.... That made for a long morning.

B

Billjones617

Oct 7, 2017
IL
Ownership

1. 700-2
OP if you're going to be cheap and not use a Diesel Spec Yellow can, then at least sprig for a can of yellow spray paint and apply some rings around your current can.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thread title says it all so keep that in mind as you read further.

So, here I am at my vacation home, family loaded up for a little spring drive around the forest to see what's what in my adopted state of Idaho. Moving at the speed of a herd of turtles we get the jackets, water bottles, hats and gloves, snacks and a bunch of other random needed items for our afternoon outing.

Key goes in, starts right up, put in gear, gas pedal down, sputter die. Hmmm. Repeat same except now engine sounds "funny" as my wife put it. Couple more tries, nope, we're not going anywhere. Insert string of favorite expletives most of which I let spew forth.

Go back through my head of the pre-flight checklist...oil level checked, yep, good. Just for grins check again, still good. Added gas this morning since it was low so not out of gas, scratch head. Ran fine yesterday, scratch head more. Insert slightly more creative string of expletives, only some of which did I vocalize.

Everyone back inside, alternative plan for afternoon developed which no longer includes wandering off into the hills. Start thinking about remediation of the issue which is absolutely complicated by the fact that I live 1,200 miles away and I'm leaving the next morning. Spend afternoon in a daze, can't really connect, still sorting what's going on. Old gas I tell myself, perhaps it's just old gas. Afternoon turns to evening. Neighbor wanders in to help an apparent over stock situation in our wine cabinet. After a couple of glasses he weighs in that his machine, an ancient Honda atv, did the same thing, says something about fuel lines and having to address an issue in the carburetor. He's mechanical, I'm not. Having relieved us of the burden of an "extra" bottle of Merlot he wanders home.

Then it hits me. Like a ton of bricks. Like "realizing when unloading the truck that oh my god I left all my fishing reels in my reel bag on the public dock" feeling. Yes I did that. Remember my thread subject line. What if that wasn't gas in that gas can? What if it was diesel? Could I have done that? Could I have found yet another level of stupid. Am I really "that guy"? So out to the garage I go hoping against hope that under that grime on the can there wasn't a big "D" in sharpie. And then, there it was, faded, smudged, but there. D. Oh s***. I put diesel into my purdy, still shiny, barely even broken in, and oh so fun Honda. About 2 gallons worth. Insert full, ripping, and even more creative string of expletives, _fully_ vocalized.

Immediately grab a hose and can and throw myself onto the dirt next to the family's workhorse and spit, choke and eventually siphon the tank as empty as I could get it. Carcinogens be damned, there wasn't any way to stop me. I was in full froth.

In goes, clean, beautiful fresh gas. Verified fresh.

Here goes, key in, start baby, start. Nope.

Some sort of vague promise that I'll be good and never ever do things that I shouldn't, call to the almighty. Please oh please just start.

Voila. Sputters to life. Stays alive. Gas pedal down, roars to life. O.k. looking good. Let her idle for some time, collect myself and give some thought that I might actually have to live up to my end of the deal with the almighty. Into gear and away I go. Not climb the mountain or rip around at full speed but into gear and drive around a bit. No noticeable issue, not sputtering, choking or stalling. Rattles like she always has.

Phew, I think. Into the garage she goes.

Now with a few days and 1,200 miles in between, wondering. Have I done any long term damage? Aside from the pretty damn obvious "be more careful", "get a better fuel management system", "use a siphon pump you could've really hurt yourself" etc. I'm putting this out there to those mechanically inclined for your opinion about the long term damage thing.

Thoughts please and if you could be gentle about it that'd be appreciated too :)
Lol. Just read this for the first time. You have a way with words. You should write books.

C

CFECO

Aug 1, 2019
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It can happen! I used to fill up my diesel Surburban at the same Shell station always, except this one time... I went to the one down the street. Went to the same pump and same handle, got about three gallons of gas in till I noticed! Filled it with about 15 gallons of diesel. She had a little louder rattle for a while, but seemed ok!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!