RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings all - this is my first post - from West Chester, PA. Just joined a few weeks ago. Love seeing everyone and reading all of the great community knowledge! Just got our 2020 P1K-5 used with only 34 miles on it! The first thing I wanted to do was add the dual battery system for accessories, and I read all the threads and watched all the YouTube videos I could find - but I was still left with some confusion and questions. So I decided to do my own video to help me understand it better. Best way to learn a subject is have to explain it to someone else!

Thanks to JoeyL here on the forum for his wiring diagrams from other posts. I used those as inspiration.

Here is the YouTube link.

I have also attached my wiring diagrams.
Update 12/20/2020 - I have updated several diagrams. They now show relay post #s for the dual voltmeter plus additional relay and switch connections on page 2. I also added a winch diagram.

Enjoy!
rob

Attachments

• Always on - Honda P1K Rob Wiring Diagram on-off-on with relay and dimmer v301.pdf
    242.1 KB · Views: 3,505
  • Key-On Honda P1K Rob Wiring Diagram with relay and dimmer v205.pdf
    240.6 KB · Views: 1,323
  • Winch - Honda P1K Rob Wiring diagram with relay dimmer and winch v206.pdf
    540.1 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Very nice video and the layout walkthrough is excellent. This should help explain it to anyone who has questions.

Regarding the key-on harness.
Easiest way is through the big hole you cut at the warning plate. With a big hole like that you can easily reach in and connect it.

Second way is via the passenger wheel well.
Recomend removing the tire so you can sit on the floor and reach up to access it.

Ya you cant access it from the hood area at all. Lol.

I need a great install video like this for it I guess.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings all - this is my first post - from West Chester, PA. Just joined a few weeks ago. Love seeing everyone and reading all of the great community knowledge! Just got our 2020 P1K-5 used with only 34 miles on it! The first thing I wanted to do was add the dual battery system for accessories, and I read all the threads and watched all the YouTube videos I could find - but I was still left with some confusion and questions. So I decided to do my own video to help me understand it better. Best way to learn a subject is have to explain it to someone else!

Thanks to JoeyL here on the forum for his wiring diagrams from other posts. I used those as inspiration.

I have also attached my wiring diagram.

Enjoy!
rob
Thank you for the video. I'm rewiring mine and will use your video. Great job. I owe you a "spotted cow"!

RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Regarding the key-on harness.
Easiest way is through the big hole you cut at the warning plate. With a big hole like that you can easily reach in and connect it.

Second way is via the passenger wheel well.
Recomend removing the tire so you can sit on the floor and reach up to access it.

Ya you cant access it from the hood area at all. Lol.

I need a great install video like this for it I guess.
oh of course I didn’t even think about trying to access the key on harness connection through the switch plate hole!! That is so obvious now that you mention it - doh!! Haha IDIOT!

Last edited:
RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I remember when I ask that question. The next will be what does H.F.A.W.H.A. mean? Welcome to the forum and very nice job on the wiring show.

#NTC
Wow - this is like a fraternity hazing and I have to wear a toilet seat lid around my neck for a week before I get an acronym tip sheet.

RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I remember when I ask that question. The next will be what does H.F.A.W.H.A. mean? Welcome to the forum and very nice job on the wiring show.

#NTC
Halsog77 I have discovered the HFAWHA deep darkness and look forward to the guilt by association.

• Love
Reactions: Smitty335 and TxDoc
Sarbuck

Sarbuck

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Enjoy!
rob
Great diagram and video! Thank you very much...I'll use this as my guide.

C

CoolGuy

Sep 19, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Enjoy!
rob

Reactions: Smitty335
F

fsk1290

Oct 30, 2020
Grant, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Newbie here so don't yell at me. I'm not being a smartazz when I asked this question either...... promise.

Does the wiring really have to be this complicated? It's like I need to be an electrical engineer to not only understand it but to purchase all the items and then even think I have a chance to install all that stuff.

There has to be an easier way......... am I wrong??

• Haha
Cookjames27

Cookjames27

May 13, 2020
Hammond, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I may have missed it in the video but I have 6 switches on my plate. I bought a blue seas fuse box with 6 slots. I didnt take in account my voltmeter and usb port. Should I get a bigger fuse box to accommodate those two as well or can they be separate from the fuse box and ill be ok? Trying to figure all this out. Thanks!

RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Newbie here so don't yell at me. I'm not being a smartazz when I asked this question either...... promise.

Does the wiring really have to be this complicated? It's like I need to be an electrical engineer to not only understand it but to purchase all the items and then even think I have a chance to install all that stuff.

There has to be an easier way......... am I wrong??
No apology necessary! Perfectly reasonable question. I am not an electrical engineer and one of the main reasons I did the video was to learn and understand myself. I studied a lot of other videos and wiring diagrams in order to come up with what I thought was the best and clearest explanation possible - at least for me. I would never have made thr video if I found one that answered all my questions.

There are some things that could be simplified, such as removing the positive and negative bus bars. It’s just a matter of making connections easier in the future versus having to pile multiple connections on battery posts. You don’t technically need the fuse box. But tying accessories directly to power is risky. The fuse is there to make sure no current over an expected amount is traveling through wires that can’t handle it and potentially catching fire.

You don’t have to wire up the voltmeter.

I think some of this is meant to learn and be fun, and if you are dreading it and are overwhelmed, then you have to figure out what you want to do. Maybe take the time to look at how others did theirs and see if anyone did it without an isolator or stinger relay. See if anyone did it without a fuse box. But each piece in my layout plays a part that all works together and allowed me to easily add numerous other accessories later.

You can do this and be successful if you decide you can. Give yourself some credit for getting this far. Then decide whether you want to go for it. It took me about a week. I still had to go to work and find time around my other obligations. But patience and persistence in the end made for a proud moment and I am very happy I stuck with it. I hope you will too.

And don’t forget we are here to help you.

Last edited:
RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I may have missed it in the video but I have 6 switches on my plate. I bought a blue seas fuse box with 6 slots. I didnt take in account my voltmeter and usb port. Should I get a bigger fuse box to accommodate those two as well or can they be separate from the fuse box and ill be ok? Trying to figure all this out. Thanks!
Not a right or wrong answer to this. You could get a bigger fuse box. I said in the video I probably only needed a 6 circuit box, and I am now already up to 7 circuits and I haven’t even installed a winch yet! Lol

you could also just use an inline fuse for each of those two accessories. Or you could add another small fuse box if you can find another place to mount it. There is nothing that requires the fuses to be all in the same fuse box. As long as you are getting power AFTER the stinger is energized so you are not connected to the main battery.

Reactions: TripleB
Cookjames27

Cookjames27

May 13, 2020
Hammond, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not a right or wrong answer to this. You could get a bigger fuse box. I said in the video I probably only needed a 6 circuit box, and I am now already up to 7 circuits and I haven’t even installed a winch yet! Lol

you could also just use an inline fuse for each of those two accessories. Or you could add another small fuse box if you can find another place to mount it. There is nothing that requires the fuses to be all in the same fuse box. As long as you are getting power AFTER the stinger is energized so you are not connected to the main battery.
Thank you for the reply! I'm kind of thinking the same thing. I would rather have a few extra circuits just incase I need them. The video you posted was great, one of the best i have seen. I appreciate it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!