P700 Stretched Oil Pump Chain

N

Nevinst

Mar 7, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 700-2
Is it common at all for the oil pump chain on a 2016 Pioneer 700 (with 3000+ hrs) to stretch and jump the sprocket? My machine was purchased used and burned a lot of oil when I got it and until I rebuilt the top end. It is likely that it received some abuse during the period before I owned it. About 300 miles after my top end work, the timing chain slipped. When I tore it down I discovered what looks to be damage to the timing chain that was caused by an extremely loose oil chain which looks to have jumped the sprocket and contacted the timing chain, damaging one of the timing chain links, causing it to slip out of time. Upon looking further it seems that the oil pump chain had been so loose for so long that it actually wore against the oil pump housing enough to wear completely through the housing. I cannot imagine what sort of abuse/wear could have occurred to cause the oil pump chain to stretch as far (and last as long) as it has. Is this a common thing? I can't seem to find much on the internet or in this forum on the matter.

Is there anything else in particular I need to look at before I start replacing damaged components and putting it back together?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Scoop and Rupert
K

Kite

Aug 2, 2022
Tishomingo Okla
Ownership

1. 700-4
Is it common at all for the oil pump chain on a 2016 Pioneer 700 (with 3000+ hrs) to stretch and jump the sprocket? My machine was purchased used and burned a lot of oil when I got it and until I rebuilt the top end. It is likely that it received some abuse during the period before I owned it. About 300 miles after my top end work, the timing chain slipped. When I tore it down I discovered what looks to be damage to the timing chain that was caused by an extremely loose oil chain which looks to have jumped the sprocket and contacted the timing chain, damaging one of the timing chain links, causing it to slip out of time. Upon looking further it seems that the oil pump chain had been so loose for so long that it actually wore against the oil pump housing enough to wear completely through the housing. I cannot imagine what sort of abuse/wear could have occurred to cause the oil pump chain to stretch as far (and last as long) as it has. Is this a common thing? I can't seem to find much on the internet or in this forum on the matter.

Is there anything else in particular I need to look at before I start replacing damaged components and putting it back together?
I’m going through this same deal. Is there anyway you can tell me more ? lol

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: Remington and Scoop
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I think I have suffered the same fate as you.
My 2016 was overhauled and running great after a badly loose timing chain was replaced. Then withing 100 miles the machine stopped moving forward or reverse. I've spent enough money on this machine already with rehab after an abusive previous owner. Getting tired of spending more but now I'm too far in to quit it seems.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Buggyman and Scoop
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Even new the pump chains aren't tight

If it indeed has over 3000 hrs, then I'd say it's just worn out from use

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Even new the pump chains aren't tight

If it indeed has over 3000 hrs, then I'd say it's just worn out from use
What rig do you have?
Welcome from Michigan BTW

Reactions: Buggyman
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I think I have suffered the same fate as you.
Prob why he hasnt been on the forum 3 days after that post 4 yrs ago lol.
Prob sold it and bought a Poo Poo🤣

Reactions: Buggyman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!