2021 pioneer 1000-5 le overheating

A

Adrian239

Apr 16, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 pioneer 1000-5 LE I’ve had it for over a year now and just recently it started overheating when doing normal trail riding here in south Florida. I installed the suggested radiator cap and thermostat from a YouTube video as well as fan override switch to . It helped some but I’m still overheating while my buddy’s pioneer is only on 2 bars riding in the same trail. I burped the system of air bubbles several times already. Wondering if anyone else is having similar issues or any suggestions on how to fix this . I was looking into upgrading my radiator and fan to Tcp one I saw online but it’s a bit pricey when I’m not sure if that will solve my issue. It’s a new machine that shouldn’t need anything but I can’t get it in for service in my area till the end of may at earliest. Any suggestions would be appreciated thx

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a 2021 pioneer 1000-5 LE I’ve had it for over a year now and just recently it started overheating when doing normal trail riding here in south Florida. I installed the suggested radiator cap and thermostat from a YouTube video as well as fan override switch to . It helped some but I’m still overheating while my buddy’s pioneer is only on 2 bars riding in the same trail. I burped the system of air bubbles several times already. Wondering if anyone else is having similar issues or any suggestions on how to fix this . I was looking into upgrading my radiator and fan to Tcp one I saw online but it’s a bit pricey when I’m not sure if that will solve my issue. It’s a new machine that shouldn’t need anything but I can’t get it in for service in my area till the end of may at earliest. Any suggestions would be appreciated thx
You ride mud, if so clean your radiator and then clean it again?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Have you tried the steep hill burp method?

First when cold, check coolant to ensure it is full. We want to guage level after we try this.

Find a steep incline. As steep as you can get almost like climbing a wall. Or find some ramps or winch the front up a tree.
Once you get the front up. Hold it there and let it run for a few minutes. But don't let it overheat.

Theory is this will allow the air pockets to move up and out. Hopefully solving your issue.

When doing this. Leave the cap on so it builds proper pressures.

Once done. Let it cool and see if the level went down. Hopefully it did.

Ok.
Goodluck.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

A

Adrian239

Apr 16, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You ride mud, if so clean your radiator and then clean it again?
Yes I ride in the mud but clean my radiator right after sometimes we clean it on the trail My radiator is clean and lately I’ve been having to put room temperature water on the radiator while riding just to bring the temp down and shut the overheating light off to continue riding

A

Adrian239

Apr 16, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you tried the steep hill burp method?

First when cold, check coolant to ensure it is full. We want to guage level after we try this.

Find a steep incline. As steep as you can get almost like climbing a wall. Or find some ramps or winch the front up a tree.
Once you get the front up. Hold it there and let it run for a few minutes. But don't let it overheat.

Theory is this will allow the air pockets to move up and out. Hopefully solving your issue.

When doing this. Leave the cap on so it builds proper pressures.

Once done. Let it cool and see if the level went down. Hopefully it did.

Ok.
Goodluck.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Yeah I’ve tried the method and was able to get quite a few air bubbles out . I’ve left the cap off over night when the machine is cool and noticed the coolant level dropped a little twice already . I’ve topped it off again and don’t see any more air bubbles. I’m also having trouble getting it to shift into low. Feel like I might have a lemon . I’ve used a temp gun on it and it read about 221 degrees with 3 bars showing and that was in 93 degree weather riding up and down my pavement rode no trail riding just to see if it would overheat . I felt like that was pretty high

Reactions: EMAW
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
put room temperature water on the radiator while riding just to bring the temp down and shut the overheating light off……..

This tells me your radiator is dirty and not getting good airflow. Please take your radiator out and use a flashlight to see if it’s dirty. It will take you 1 hour to take it out, clean it, then put it back in.

……I’m also having trouble getting it to shift into low. Feel like I might have a lemon

While I wouldn’t rule out a lemon, take your radiator out and clean it really good, then adjust the shift cable. Should take 1 1/2 hours at most for both. Depending on beer intake level of course.

Reactions: EMAW and Adrian239

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!