WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sooo, I just got this in the mail (bought it by accident) originally had one like TripleB mentioned in my cart and for some reason ended up buying both 🤦‍♂️
View attachment 313564
The 40mm @05Willys linked DOES NOT work, the phucker won't go in 🤬 sorry bud. I guess I have to wait 'till Monday to try the one TripleB linked.
Shucks. I ordered one of these already. Let us know how the next one works

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just looked up the invoice for the one I bought from Machined Integrations (works great.)

Pioneer 1000 Over Axle

Variation: MI-OTA-1150-40MM - Over Axle Greaser

SKU: MI-OTA-1150-40MM

It's 40mm, and fits perfectly - so at least that part is right.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
This is what Amsoil recommends for UTV applications.

Water-Washout and Sprayoff Protection
The superior wet-duty performance of AMSOIL Synthetic Water-Resistant Grease is formulated with extra durable cohesive and adhesive chemistry. It holds together when exposed to water and clings tenaciously to metal surfaces when wet, protecting components during prolonged exposure to standing or pressurized water.
Amsoil synthetic grease

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sooo, I just got this in the mail (bought it by accident) originally had one like TripleB mentioned in my cart and for some reason ended up buying both 🤦‍♂️
View attachment 313564
The 40mm @05Willys linked DOES NOT work, the phucker won't go in 🤬 sorry bud. I guess I have to wait 'till Monday to try the one TripleB linked.
Thanks for the update. Is the issue with the ID, OD or both? May have to bring mine to work and modify. Or just buy one that works.🤔 Nah, that would make too much sense. LOL

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The ID is too small, can't get far enough to know if the OD works or not
The one I bought, haven't tried yet, is the two O-ring short version and looks like yours. OD is 39.91mm. There are two ID's. The first larger, at entry end, is 28.83mm, while the majority of the inside is 26.60mm.

If you have a caliper handy to measure yours, and/or tell me what the ID should be to fit, I'd appreciate it, so I can "fix" mine in advance of needing it (my machine tools are a ways away at the airport).

It's THIS ONE on eBay for $11.00 w/free shipping. I can't make one for less . . . but if I need to open the inside a bit, I can do that easy.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The one I bought, haven't tried yet, is the two O-ring short version and looks like yours. OD is 39.91mm. There are two ID's. The first larger, at entry end, is 28.83mm, while the majority of the inside is 26.60mm.

If you have a caliper handy to measure yours, and/or tell me what the ID should be to fit, I'd appreciate it, so I can "fix" mine in advance of needing it (my machine tools are a ways away at the airport).

It's THIS ONE on eBay for $11.00 w/free shipping. I can't make one for less . . . but if I need to open the inside a bit, I can do that easy.
Yup, that's the same one I got. I'll try and get exact dimensions in the a.m đź‘Ť

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use this with my bearing greaserView attachment 311532

One of several greases I use. I've used Mobil 1 products for decades, especially their synthetic oils. Sadly, their grease is uniquely disappointing in how easily the oil drains out of the thickener (separates) and makes a mess. Pick up a grease gun and it dribbles red oil on the floor. I called Mobil tech support years ago and asked them about this. They denied there was any separation problem. But if you search on line, you'll find others experiencing this.

advertisement
someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The one I bought came from Machined Integrations. Nearly twice as much as that ebay unit, though I can't say if it's any better without seeing it closer or trying it.

It works well, though.

So the MI one looks well built but it does look like you need to remove the half shaft to grease. is this correct?

still looking for one that does not require Half Shaft removal and will slide over.

so...

still following.

Reactions: TxDoc
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of several greases I use. I've used Mobil 1 products for decades, especially their synthetic oils. Sadly, their grease is uniquely disappointing in how easily the oil drains out of the thickener (separates) and makes a mess. Pick up a grease gun and it dribbles red oil on the floor. I called Mobil tech support years ago and asked them about this. They denied there was any separation problem. But if you search on line, you'll find others experiencing this.
This can depend on temperature range and intended use. Grease as a semi solid really offers very little lubrication as it can't flow through bearings and orifices. The oils are the lubricants so I guess I'd say the grease you described is good. One issue with a non flowable grease in a semi sealed bearing like our wheel bearings is the oil needs air to cool. I'd rather have a grease that flows through the bearing and leaves oil in the bearings than a grease that fills the cavity and never dissapates the heat of the bearing.

I prefer a good oil based grease that I can pump through the bearing and flush water out than a thick grease that fills the bearing and cooks them when they get hot.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This can depend on temperature range and intended use. Grease as a semi solid really offers very little lubrication as it can't flow through bearings and orifices. The oils are the lubricants so I guess I'd say the grease you described is good. One issue with a non flowable grease in a semi sealed bearing like our wheel bearings is the oil needs air to cool. I'd rather have a grease that flows through the bearing and leaves oil in the bearings than a grease that fills the cavity and never dissapates the heat of the bearing.

I prefer a good oil based grease that I can pump through the bearing and flush water out than a thick grease that fills the bearing and cooks them when they get hot.
What I am saying is Mobil 1 oil separates from the thickener in *storage* at temperatures between 40F and 80F. It probably separates under some conditions of use as well, though I have no empirical data or evidence of that. I know what greases are supposed to do and have a reasonable clue as to how that is accomplished. The lubricating oil is held in suspension and in place by a thickener. If the thickener doesn't do that, holding the oil where it's needed, and instead allows it to be displaced, slung out, or dribbled out, then the thickener is not doing it job properly and neither is the missing oil.

For reading material re what others have reported on this issue, search <Mobil 1 grease separates>.

One example

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the MI one looks well built but it does look like you need to remove the half shaft to grease. is this correct?

still looking for one that does not require Half Shaft removal and will slide over.

Assuming you're referring to the axle as a half-shaft, it does slide over.

You remove the brake caliper, then the axle nut. Pull the hub, then the greaser goes in over the axle shaft.

someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Assuming you're referring to the axle as a half-shaft, it does slide over.

You remove the brake caliper, then the axle nut. Pull the hub, then the greaser goes in over the axle shaft.

Awesome. thank you for the info. the video on the MI site doesn't seem to make that option clear.

for fun and because i don't have enough tools:

I've ordered the one noted in post #5.

Also for fun, ordered a different one.

i'll do a comparison when i can.

S l400

40mm Wheel Bearing Greaser Grease Tool For Honda Pioneer 1000 Polaris Ranger 800 | eBay

Double O-Ring seals to keep the grease inside your bearings, which also spread the inner bearing races apart to allow a gap for the grease to easily flow inside. This grease tool will replenish the grease your bearings need, as well as push out contaminants.
www.ebay.com

and this one.

S l400

HONDA PIONEER 1000 ALL 4 WHEEL BEARING GREASER TOOL axle in! - R | eBay

This fits all 4 wheel bearings on all years of Honda Pioneer 1000! This is the type greaser that only have to remove the wheel and wheel hub to grease the bearings.
www.ebay.com

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome. thank you for the info. the video on the MI site doesn't seem to make that option clear.

for fun and because i don't have enough tools:

I've ordered the one noted in post #5.

Also for fun, ordered a different one.

i'll do a comparison when i can.

View attachment 323980

40mm Wheel Bearing Greaser Grease Tool For Honda Pioneer 1000 Polaris Ranger 800 | eBay

Double O-Ring seals to keep the grease inside your bearings, which also spread the inner bearing races apart to allow a gap for the grease to easily flow inside. This grease tool will replenish the grease your bearings need, as well as push out contaminants.
www.ebay.com

and this one.

View attachment 323981

HONDA PIONEER 1000 ALL 4 WHEEL BEARING GREASER TOOL axle in! - R | eBay

This fits all 4 wheel bearings on all years of Honda Pioneer 1000! This is the type greaser that only have to remove the wheel and wheel hub to grease the bearings.
www.ebay.com

You'll find the seals are an unnecessary addition. The one without the seals works very well and it's a slip fit into the bearings. You won't find any excess grease on the tool after use

W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the one I just bought and use on my 2017 Pioneer 1000-5.

This is the grease I use. NLGI #2, Manufacture Number 41150.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the one I just bought and use on my 2017 Pioneer 1000-5.

This is the grease I use. NLGI #2, Manufacture Number 41150.

I use Super Lube grease on guns and used to use it on glider wing pins. Works very well for those purposes, has a broad temperature range, and importantly, doesn't make a mess or stain hands and stuff like "regular" grease. I don't know how well it would work on wheel bearings though?

Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335
W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I too use it on firearms. It's a NLGI #2 GC-LB grease that is specifically marketed for wheel bearings by the manufacturer. Seems to be doing fine.

"*GC-LB Wide temperature grease for use in components such as bearings, chassis and universal joints in passenger cars, trucks and other vehicles under mild and
severe duty. This includes vehicles operated under frequent stop-and-go service (buses, taxis, urban police cars, etc.), or under severe braking service (trailer
towing, heavy loading, mountain driving, etc.) (see ASTM D4950)."

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!