P1000 Stripped wheel stud

U

ufgators68

Jun 23, 2021
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Was changing the lug nuts, to new ones that arrived a little later than the new wheels, and one of the studs stripped. I was able to remove the other three lug nuts but this one is stuck.

What is the easiest way to remove it?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome,
What rig do u have, P1k3 or 5, what year miles and pics of the rig!
Rule #4 when u first post….
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

Use the search up top. The topic has been discussed. Yes your prob done. Need a new wheel assembly

U

ufgators68

Jun 23, 2021
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome,
What rig do u have, P1k3 or 5, what year miles and pics of the rig!
Rule #4 when u first post….
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

Use the search up top. The topic has been discussed. Yes your prob done. Need a new wheel assembly

2021 P1k3. 2000 miles.

Tried searching, didn't see a solution.

Snapchat 1885358494

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Might have to cut the stud off on the back side. I can’t imagine that’s going to be any fun to get to though to even try.

If the hub is already stripped someone could possibly spot weld the stub to the hub.

I’ve not actually looked at the back to see if it’s feasible. It’s possible they are captured studs and not a pull through style.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
stripped or galled on where it is hopelessly stuck and spins the stud?

the studs are not pull thru after looking at a new part, if the stud is spinning, the hub is wrecked as the stud bore is galled out as well.

sounds like pull hub assembly off, remove rotor and grind away to get the wheel back and replace the hub

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any chance you can split/cut the lug nut in half without damaging your rim? I think the stock lug nuts are flanged not recessed into the rim like on most automotive applications. Aftermarket rims often are different though and require those spline sockets.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
2021 P1k3. 2000 miles.

Tried searching, didn't see a solution.

View attachment 367754
Nice rig!

yeah searching would tell you replace the hub.
you can use a torch And heat it up red and grab it with a pair of vice grips. Or heat it up to cut it off. Either way know matter what u do, u risk destroying the hub. So loose loose but worth a try

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could put a deep socket on the nut, hold it with vice grips and drill through 1/2"square drive into the stud I would drill with 1/8" bit followed by 1/4",3/8" and finish it with a 1/2"bit. jb weld the new flanged stud or have someone spot weld it for you

just my $0.02

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Was changing the lug nuts, to new ones that arrived a little later than the new wheels, and one of the studs stripped. I was able to remove the other three lug nuts but this one is stuck.

What is the easiest way to remove it?
Anti-seize is your friend, anytime I install anything that I want to come off like lug nuts I use anti-seize. I take it with me when I get new tires.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
went and llooked at my talon, front only, looks like caliper won't lift away from rotor with wheel on, maybe someone knows if it will, it would be a slam dunk if it did

if I had to, could get to the rotor bolts, back them out and leave rotor loose

remove axle nut and the wheel hub comes off and grind the back of the wheel stud away - looked like a lot of grinding with a Dremel tool, could get to it if I had to - looks like a royal pita

-agree that start by centerpunching the lug nut and start small and work your way up, lots of patience\lube on the bits and then try splitting the nut with a chisel or punching the stud back thru the hub, either way I would think if that stud is spinning, the bore is too big for another stud and its trashed

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the stud is spinning, don’t read this.
If the lug nut is spinning because it or the stud is stripped, find a way to put pressure on the back side of the wheel, trying to push/pry it off. With that pressure applied, use an impact wrench to spin the nut. You might get lucky and have it work it’s way off.
It worked on my stepson’s Toyota one day. No impact so it was a real PITA, but we got it off.

U

ufgators68

Jun 23, 2021
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’m going to see if I can get it welded to the hub. Went with 15” wheels w/ 4+3 offset and it looks like a welding rod would slip past the rotor and be able to put down a nice spot weld or three.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Anti-seize is your friend, anytime I install anything that I want to come off like lug nuts I use anti-seize. I take it with me when I get new tires.
I always did the same thing but last time I had tires put on my truck the guy had a fit. told me to take it home and use brake clean and get all the threads clean because you won't get the correct torque with anti-seize or oil on the threads. prob no big deal on a sxs .

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I always did the same thing but last time I had tires put on my truck the guy had a fit. told me to take it home and use brake clean and get all the threads clean because you won't get the correct torque with anti-seize or oil on the threads. prob no big deal on a sxs .
I call BS on that guy, he's an idiot, find a different tire shop. I've never had a lug nut fall off and have always been able to change a tire on the side of the road.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!