P1000m5 Is a second battery required for a radio and amp?

EthanBogart

EthanBogart

Mar 31, 2018
North Western Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello,
I am currently preparing to buy a 2017 1000-5 LE in the next month and I am trying to figure out how much all of the accessories I may want will cost. My first order of business will be to install a radio with an amp. I have heard the horror stories of people burning up their clutches because they are drawing too much from their main battery. My question is, how much is too much? Will I be okay with a Boss MGR350B and a 600w amp? This is all new to me since I have only had an '86 fourtrax 200sx since new and have done no modifications Thanks in advance...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello,
I am currently preparing to buy a 2017 1000-5 LE in the next month and I am trying to figure out how much all of the accessories I may want will cost. My first order of business will be to install a radio with an amp. I have heard the horror stories of people burning up their clutches because they are drawing too much from their main battery. My question is, how much is too much? Will I be okay with a Boss MGR350B and a 600w amp? This is all new to me since I have only had an '86 fourtrax 200sx since new and have done no modifications Thanks in advance...

Get the clutch update

If it’s going to be sitting off or idling playing music yes a second battery.

If it’s going to be running NOT at idle you might need one, depends on light bars and other power draws.

The factory battery is not very stout for additional draws and the charging system is only 750ish watts. You have to consider ECU and COIL draw when it’s running as well as headlights/taillights.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from Pa

EthanBogart

EthanBogart

Mar 31, 2018
North Western Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Get the clutch update

If it’s going to be sitting off or idling playing music yes a second battery.

If it’s going to be running NOT at idle you might need one, depends on light bars and other power draws.

The factory battery is not very stout for additional draws and the charging system is only 750ish watts. You have to consider ECU and COIL draw when it’s running as well as headlights/taillights.
Okay, thank you. The machine I am looking at is still new and has been in a dealer showroom. It is a 17 model. Would the clutch update already be installed? I looked and the new air cleaner and the cabin comfort package are both installed

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay, thank you. The machine I am looking at is still new and has been in a dealer showroom. It is a 17 model. Would the clutch update already be installed? I looked and the new air cleaner and the cabin comfort package are both installed

Should be I’d make them do it before you sign any paperwork. Some dealers are dragging their feet doing the update. Parts are available but they just aren’t doing it and saying parts are back ordered. I have a feeling if they can’t move it out the door and get your money they will be more motivated to do it quickly.

Reactions: JTW
EthanBogart

EthanBogart

Mar 31, 2018
North Western Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Should be I’d make them do it before you sign any paperwork. Some dealers are dragging their feet doing the update. Parts are available but they just aren’t doing it and saying parts are back ordered. I have a feeling if they can’t move it out the door and get your money they will be more motivated to do it quickly.
Thanks. I'll make sure to bring that up when I go to buy it. Any batteries or battery isolators you personally recommend?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. I'll make sure to bring that up when I go to buy it. Any batteries or battery isolators you personally recommend?

True AM iso is what a lot of guys are using.

The Odyssey 925 and the Optima Yellowtop are popular aux batteries. One will fit under hood the other under drivers seat.

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Must be my age showing! WTH does a burnt clutch have to do with a battery????? Is the clutch some how tied into the electrical system???

Clutch Solenoid is voltage sensitive if it drops below 12v the solenoid lets the clutch slip. If done when the clutch is hot it slips and causes more heat to delaminate the clutch.

The clutch update adds cooling to stop possible damage.

EthanBogart

EthanBogart

Mar 31, 2018
North Western Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Must be my age showing! WTH does a burnt clutch have to do with a battery????? Is the clutch some how tied into the electrical system???
My understanding is that it is an electronically controlled clutch, and if it doesn't have enough power, it can cause it to burn the clutches up when you try driving

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!