P500 Best Accessories for P500?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
For me Radial tires plus Elka Stage 3 shocks, rides, handles really well.
E steering and front locker is in the plans.

Nice to have Cab (not made doors yet), pending where you live, for me it’s an essential.
j

Reactions: kensmithjr
M

MarkKoons

Aug 11, 2019
Wheatland, WY
Ownership

1. 500
Bought a used P-500 with a winch. That seemed like a good idea but I haven't needed it yet. I'm old & cautious & hate the idea of walking out of the Medicine Bow National Forest or miles of BLM sun-baked prairie. There's never any cell service where I go. Built a cab-back with an oval Lexan rear window and roof from a single sheet of white 1/4" HDPE. Used the 4 x 8 sheet full width for extra shade. It fastens to the cage with 8 or 10 X laced paracord ties that pass through 3/16" holes drilled in the HDPE. Mounted a smallish LED light bar through/over the front of the roll cage and roof. Extended the roof out about 5" beyond the folding windshield which secures nicely with Velcro. The length of the roof's extension is determined by the swing of the top half of the windshield. Mounted a couple of "footman's loops" (search eBay for 'em) to the fenders so the folded windshield secures with the same Velcro that held the top half of the windshield in the "up" position. Put a plywood deck on top of the totally tubular factory rear rack and fit a pair of drop-in rubberish plastic boxes, one on either side of a center frame that holds two lift-out commercial inventory-type totes. Saved 5" or 6" between those boxes and the cab back for my .270 in a $18 Walmart "hard case". Two double-sided Velcro straps though 4 more footman's loops secure the rifle. The set-up only one needs one Velcro strap to be undone to pull out the cased rifle. Shopped the second-hand store for a plastic tub & modified it to fit under the hood secured w/zip ties. The tub holds a bunch of vehicle supplies... oil, plug, manual, & a few wrenches. My design parameters are low cost and keeping the overall width to 50", the BLM width limit on lots of prairie tracks. Used 3/8" plastic plumbing tube to build a cab-back rack to carry 6 or 8 army surplus pouches, also from eBay. Now I'm building a dinky trailer from a Chinese kit. It has a 40" x 48" deck frame. The trailer kit is the kind sold by Harbor Freight and Northern Tool. Its purpose is to pack in tent, cot, water, spare fuel and provisions. I'm welding up a 20" high box for it and built a 3 axis hitch to couple the trailer to the Pioneer. Chubacabra folding mirrors are great but the rear view mirror is all together too big. Happy trails to you!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Now I'm building a dinky trailer from a Chinese kit. It has a 40" x 48" deck frame. The trailer kit is the kind sold by Harbor Freight and Northern Tool. Its purpose is to pack in tent, cot, water, spare fuel and provisions. I'm welding up a 20" high box for it and built a 3 axis hitch to couple the trailer to the Pioneer.

Sounds heavy. I bought one from a yard sale, same thing, HF kit. Guy had a car top carrier mounted to it which worked okay, was water tight and light but didn't hold much. I was afraid of putting too much weight in it and having it snap off the trailer bed and go sliding down a hill or something so I built a box out of 2x2's and plywood and wrapped it with aluminum. Holds a bunch now and much more rigid.

The Rattle Toad Passenger Toad Inside

advertisement
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Bought a used P-500 with a winch. That seemed like a good idea but I haven't needed it yet. I'm old & cautious & hate the idea of walking out of the Medicine Bow National Forest or miles of BLM sun-baked prairie. There's never any cell service where I go. Built a cab-back with an oval Lexan rear window and roof from a single sheet of white 1/4" HDPE. Used the 4 x 8 sheet full width for extra shade. It fastens to the cage with 8 or 10 X laced paracord ties that pass through 3/16" holes drilled in the HDPE. Mounted a smallish LED light bar through/over the front of the roll cage and roof. Extended the roof out about 5" beyond the folding windshield which secures nicely with Velcro. The length of the roof's extension is determined by the swing of the top half of the windshield. Mounted a couple of "footman's loops" (search eBay for 'em) to the fenders so the folded windshield secures with the same Velcro that held the top half of the windshield in the "up" position. Put a plywood deck on top of the totally tubular factory rear rack and fit a pair of drop-in rubberish plastic boxes, one on either side of a center frame that holds two lift-out commercial inventory-type totes. Saved 5" or 6" between those boxes and the cab back for my .270 in a $18 Walmart "hard case". Two double-sided Velcro straps though 4 more footman's loops secure the rifle. The set-up only one needs one Velcro strap to be undone to pull out the cased rifle. Shopped the second-hand store for a plastic tub & modified it to fit under the hood secured w/zip ties. The tub holds a bunch of vehicle supplies... oil, plug, manual, & a few wrenches. My design parameters are low cost and keeping the overall width to 50", the BLM width limit on lots of prairie tracks. Used 3/8" plastic plumbing tube to build a cab-back rack to carry 6 or 8 army surplus pouches, also from eBay. Now I'm building a dinky trailer from a Chinese kit. It has a 40" x 48" deck frame. The trailer kit is the kind sold by Harbor Freight and Northern Tool. Its purpose is to pack in tent, cot, water, spare fuel and provisions. I'm welding up a 20" high box for it and built a 3 axis hitch to couple the trailer to the Pioneer. Chubacabra folding mirrors are great but the rear view mirror is all together too big. Happy trails to you!

Picture(s) would be dandy @MarkKoons, thanks for sharing ideas.

K

kensmithjr

Sep 16, 2019
Prattsburgh, NY
Ownership

1. 500

I like how much thought you put into your customizations. Your excursions sound peaceful and great too! Happy trails!

K

kensmithjr

Sep 16, 2019
Prattsburgh, NY
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds heavy. I bought one from a yard sale, same thing, HF kit. Guy had a car top carrier mounted to it which worked okay, was water tight and light but didn't hold much. I was afraid of putting too much weight in it and having it snap off the trailer bed and go sliding down a hill or something so I built a box out of 2x2's and plywood and wrapped it with aluminum. Holds a bunch now and much more rigid.

View attachment 158022 View attachment 158023 View attachment 158024

Nice job with your trailer!

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would suggest you DO NOT buy a one piece windshield that does not allow for ventilation. I have a P1000 and the heat build up can be nearly overwhelming. There are a lot of good "split windshields" to pick from. Search the forum for suggestions. I think the options you want will be determined by the type of riding you do. Rocky trails require different options that the trails I normally ride. If you're going to ride with a group on paved roads, then you might require more speed that the 500 offers, and the ability to have one power wheel is desirable on paved roads or your lawn (I don't know if that's available on the 500). Happy riding.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
R

rsully661

Nov 3, 2019
Bakersfield
Hey guys first post here, just picked up a red P500. Where can I get the electric power steering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dp5hunter
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!