Bottom door suggestions

Leonandlisa

Leonandlisa

Dec 14, 2016
Las Vegas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I have a new to me talon 1000 4x live valve, We will be using it for dusty trails for cruising or bird hunting, but the dust part is major in the desert.
Do the lower doors make a big difference on dust? I have been riding in a Honda pioneer for over 6,000 miles and we don’t mind dust, but in the talon we are covered in a thick layer and it seems to come in the bottom of the doors. Pioneer had half windshield and no doors, talon has half windshield and just the factory doors.

If the lower portion of the door would help, what is preferred, the factory or afternarket lower doors?

thanks

Sandsurfer

Sandsurfer

Feb 23, 2022
NM
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm in the same boat with a 2 seat model. I will definitely be buying lower doors and have it down to 2 options,
-oem
-kemimoto brand

Oem are pretty expensive for what they are but I have prided myself in keeping up near stock appearances on my honda so far. It's worth it to me if the details like the finish texture match the honda doors.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I put Honda lowers on my first one. Was not impressed. Pain to put on and had to cut out parts of original door.

Second one I put AJK offroad lowers. Nice thick aluminum. Made right here in Ohio by a family business. Not the cheapest around but one of the best. Also check out his foot rest and packout mounts.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sweet! Congrats. Got ant pics of this new machine?

I have the Tusk lower doors. There solid
4D1D509C A9E4 4A20 94ED 1D96338CC8CD

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I went the tinted from UTV Direct, they are very nice fit finish, match the body lines of the machine. Have a rubber strip that actually seals pretty good.

62B39F71 ED67 4D2C 860F 885F9547A75E

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We drive thru a lot of scrub brush during hunting season, how do you think they would stand up to that abuse?
We do too and about to find out lol. I honestly thought about that before I got them but do think they are fairly protected from big front fender where they are at. They are hard coat so we’ll see.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I put lowers on my first Talon, before I knew the nature of the beast. Once I started riding and felt the insane cab heat, I decided that the lowers were a bad idea. Note that I'm a desert rat at heart and a cold wimp, I can put up with higher temps than a lot of folks but the door lowers, combined with the radiator being up front turned the cab into an oven. I have no idea how much they prevent dust in the cab.

When that buggy got stolen (from the dealership no less), the replacement didn't get lowers and I ride down into the thirties during the winter (colder than that and I'm watchin' TV). 🥶 🥶 🥶

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have tried just about everything to reduce dust and OEM lower doors do nothing for dust control (they neither help or make it worse). The dust comes in from EVERYWHERE and there is little you can do about it. I have tired almost every combination of 1/2 windshield, Full windshield (vents closed and open), rear window, no rear window, lower doors, no lower doors and it makes very little difference. The only difference I noticed is the car speed at which the most dust enters the cab.

The only thing that I did that showed a marked reduction in dust is covering the huge holes behind the seats.

My observation indicates a lot of the dust actually comes in from the back of the doors where the gap is over 1/2". It appears to enter there , go behind the seats and swirl all around the cab. I have been thinking about somehow sealing that gaps in the doors to see if it helps but I am not optimistic so I haven't tried yet.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have tried just about everything to reduce dust and OEM lower doors do nothing for dust control (they neither help or make it worse). The dust comes in from EVERYWHERE and there is little you can do about it. I have tired almost every combination of 1/2 windshield, Full windshield (vents closed and open), rear window, no rear window, lower doors, no lower doors and it makes very little difference. The only difference I noticed is the car speed at which the most dust enters the cab.

The only thing that I did that showed a marked reduction in dust is covering the huge holes behind the seats.

My observation indicates a lot of the dust actually comes in from the back of the doors where the gap is over 1/2". It appears to enter there , go behind the seats and swirl all around the cab. I have been thinking about somehow sealing that gaps in the doors to see if it helps but I am not optimistic so I haven't tried yet.
I actually have mine sealed up pretty good. I’m not sure the difference as it’s wet out here now. Fixed the shifter hole, rear lower gaps, doors, roof, windshield and rear window fit tight. Just kinda sealed things as I built the machine back up. Think it’ll help but wasn’t overly caring because dust is just part of it. Maybe helps. It did some on the Pioneer. Best thing is just rear window and no or short front.
D9D14156 F129 4227 A951 3D201B2861B6

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Paul, u try duct tape on the doors and entering NASCAR style - lol?

things I’ve learned

-on the east coast here - these things are mud magnets

-looks like on the west coast - dust magnets

if ya wanna keep clean, get a cab enclosure or buy a jeep and keep the windows up

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Paul, u try duct tape on the doors and entering NASCAR style - lol?

things I’ve learned

-on the east coast here - these things are mud magnets

-looks like on the west coast - dust magnets

if ya wanna keep clean, get a cab enclosure or buy a jeep and keep the windows up
I actually considered the "Duct Tape" method as a test but decided against it. Too much goo to remove and how the hell would I get in and out, I'm too old for that s*** :)

And its not that I want to keep it (or me) clean. I don't mind getting dusty, that is part of the experience and I have a killer shower in my rig. I just want to enjoy the fresh air around me without choking on dust. If I am going about 22 to 28 MPH, the dust in the cab can get so thick, it is hard to breath. And when I'm with a group and they dictate the speed, it always seems like we are in the speed range.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

PaulF is spot on. I have seen many Talons with the extra lower doors. Still a lot of dust. One guy used materal in the front firewall (?), material to block dust from the shfter opening (see Terry H post he got from a inverted Jeep shifter), and behind the seats as PaulF suggested - verry little dust. If you really want to get fancy use the welders carbon felt fabric to block the dust in these areas I mentioned- expensive stuff but it will block the dust and is easily cleaned.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a fully sealed (from the hood to the tunnel) hand built firewall, wrapped cooling lines in the tunnel and a shifter boot. While those items reduced heat cab heat by 80-90%, they did almost nothing to reduce dust :(

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!