P1000 You guys changing your oil every 600 or 1200 miles?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ole bomar hasnt made a comment on here in 4years I bet. Well last year, but 4 before that? Haha. He poked in back in sept of 22’ I see. He has a
🌈KRX now. One thing to note, If he dosnt want to check his oil, believe me It wont be an issue. 😂
Several went the KRX route and we haven't heard a word from them except @GlockMeister a couple times. Josh sure kept the moderators on there toes as well as Richard, Josh was suspended several times from posting.

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Mar 31, 2017
Sierra Vista, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, just read this thread.

Hate to tell you this, no motor pool mechanic is going to have ANY say over helicopters. None. Nada. Zilch.

The only folks that would have that authority are a Maintenance Test Pilot, Technical Inspector, Crew Chief of either one of the pilots. Motor pool mechanics stay in the motor pool, and deal with wheeled or tracked vehicles.

You can tell your brother in law or whoever he was, that a retired US Army helicopter pilot gave you the straight skinny.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Wow, just read this thread.

Hate to tell you this, no motor pool mechanic is going to have ANY say over helicopters. None. Nada. Zilch.

The only folks that would have that authority are a Maintenance Test Pilot, Technical Inspector, Crew Chief of either one of the pilots. Motor pool mechanics stay in the motor pool, and deal with wheeled or tracked vehicles.

You can tell your brother in law or whoever he was, that a retired US Army helicopter pilot gave you the straight skinny.
Who are you responding to? U didnt tag anyone or hit reply to there post. Only saying this cuz its a 7yr old thread and the last post was just over a year ago. I doubt most of them will remember lol

• Haha
Reactions: Vikes79
cschannuth

cschannuth

Lifetime Member
May 11, 2024
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
I guess I’m an old-school nut, but I’m more concerned with time than I am miles. I just upgraded from a John Deere gator that was six years old and I only had 400 miles total on it. If I went by the mileage I would’ve never changed the oil in that machine one time. I guess I’ve probably wasted some money on oil changes over the decades, but I have driven over 2,000,000 miles and I’ve never had a mechanical failure in any of my Fords in that time. I attribute that to fresh oil and gentle break-in when new.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I guess I’m an old-school nut, but I’m more concerned with time than I am miles. I just upgraded from a John Deere gator that was six years old and I only had 400 miles total on it. If I went by the mileage I would’ve never changed the oil in that machine one time. I guess I’ve probably wasted some money on oil changes over the decades, but I have driven over 2,000,000 miles and I’ve never had a mechanical failure in any of my Fords in that time. I attribute that to fresh oil and gentle break-in when new.
Well oil dosnt brake down while sitting. It brakes down with friction. Particularly much lass with todays oils and their additives. If u change it by the hrs of sitting thats your prerogative and $$ nothing wrong with that.
As long as your checking the level and its not black & stinky and its viscosity hasnt ben broken down your most likely good. But oil change places wont tell u that! They need to make money.

I have an 8N tractor at my cabin that has more hrs than miles on the proof meeter cuz im not there every day. I check the oil each time and its remarkably not dark or gas stinky hardly at all. Last time i changed the oil in it 2 yrs ago and had roughly 170 hrs on it. I sent a sample to blackstone labs and results where surprisingly good and could have left it. But 2yrs was enough for me. So Its up to you and just need to get a feel for your own rig and how you use it when it needs changing. Not all rigs are created equal in this since, nor are we on how we hammer down or not.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well oil dosnt brake down while sitting. It brakes down with friction. Particularly much lass with todays oils and their additives. If u change it by the hrs of sitting thats your prerogative and $$ nothing wrong with that.
As long as your checking the level and its not black & stinky and its viscosity hasnt ben broken down your most likely good. But oil change places wont tell u that! They need to make money.

I have an 8N tractor at my cabin that has more hrs than miles on the proof meeter cuz im not there every day. I check the oil each time and its remarkably not dark or gas stinky hardly at all. Last time i changed the oil in it 2 yrs ago and had roughly 170 hrs on it. I sent a sample to blackstone labs and results where surprisingly good and could have left it. But 2yrs was enough for me. So Its up to you and just need to get a feel for your own rig and how you use it when it needs changing. Not all rigs are created equal in this since, nor are we on how we hammer down or not.
smart man - my barn find 30 year old king quad - found it with 500 miles, dumped the oil after I had it running/probably original oil - that was 4 years/300 miles ago - runs just fine/doesn’t eat oil - so 2/maybe 3 oil changes in 30 years -

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
However oil if left long enough can take on moisture….at least the paper /metal lid cans do. I had some valvoline 10/40 from the early 80’s in paper cans that each had some moisture in them when I used them for an oil change on my ‘54 Allis WD45 last summer.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's hard to kick old school habits.
I learned to change the oil every 3,000 miles or year - the year because the oil/detergents would degrade. I think @Remington is right about the new additives making time less important.
I'm now running synthetics in my P1k5, mower, snow blower, and especially the generators. I don't worry about time sitting unused, but keep my mind on miles and hours and check it every couple of months.
Now back to my old school habit called Jameson - someday I'll kick that . . . oh, who am I kidding. Not gonna try.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It's hard to kick old school habits.
I learned to change the oil every 3,000 miles or year - the year because the oil/detergents would degrade.
Yes sir! Thats what I use to do.
What changed was when I was in tech scrool for cylinder heads and engine building we has valvoline come jn and show us some very interesting things u aren't told

advertisement
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes sir! Thats what I use to do.
What changed was when I was in tech scrool for cylinder heads and engine building we has valvoline come jn and show us some very interesting things u aren't told
@Remington - don't be a tease! Let us know what the Vaseline rep told you.
I've put a lot of miles on many machines and only once did an engine seize. But I can't blame the oil.
The poor thing was born an International Harvester Travelall POS. It was destined to fail.
It was just like this - same color and faux wood panels, only uglier irl.

We pulled the thermostat out year round to keep it from overheating. Seized at 42,000 miles despite proper care.
Had some other machines lose power at high miles, but that's going to happen.

Reactions: Backwoods

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!