Automatic backup light installation.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Installed a backup light onto my Pioneer. I used the wiring diagram from the Honda's backup alarm instructions.gallery/image_page.php?album_id=28&image_id=612
I just tapped into the wiring and soldered my wire's that I ran to the back of my Pioneer. Its pretty neat to see the backup light come on when you put the Pioneer into Reverse.The R does show in the display when the light is connected and the machine is in reverse. I connected a purple wire into the plug that comes from the Honda switch which is a gray wire.The switch is actually a ground .I used a yellow wire that I ran from the assessory plugs wire.and ran it all the way to the back.I hooked up a light that I had just laying around to show that it does work. I still have to go and buy a led light that I'll use for the backup light.One thing that you have to remember is that the light that you use can't use the lights housing for a ground.A rubber mounted light would be best or a LED light that has both live and ground wire coming out of it.

Backup light pioneer 002 Small Backup light pioneer 003 Small Backup light pioneer 007 Small Backup light pioneer 009 Small Backup light pioneer 012 Small

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Bellarae said:
Have you thought about directional lights?

Yes I did.I even bought some small clearance, LED lights that I was going to use, tried to get them to work on the bench but I couldn't seem to get the flasher to work. I even bought a flasher for LED lights but for some reason it still wouldn't flash. Gave up on it because I really didn't need them. Ended up using the small Led lights on my Canopy that I have on the back of the Pioneer.I need a backup light [its not to good backing up into the shed at night and not being able to see]

Reactions: sharp and TimG
B

Bellarae

Jul 17, 2014
We have a lot of road riding here south west Wisconsin and directional lights would come in handy. Thanks for the reply.

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Thats smart thinking. I have bought several led lights from these guys and they are awsome. Oznium.com

Reactions: TimG
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
HondaTim said:
Do you have the reverse override mod done to your pioneer?

No I don't. I haven't had the need for it except for maybe twice since I've had the Pioneer.If I feel there's a need I'll do it.

Reactions: sharp
HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Just wondering because I would like to just be able to put the pioneer in reverse and the light bar come on without using a switch and the reverse override being permanent.

B

BiggenF15

Jul 30, 2018
Panama City, FL
Ownership

1. 700-2
Installed a backup light onto my Pioneer. I used the wiring diagram from the Honda's backup alarm instructions.gallery/image_page.php?album_id=28&image_id=612
I just tapped into the wiring and soldered my wire's that I ran to the back of my Pioneer. Its pretty neat to see the backup light come on when you put the Pioneer into Reverse.The R does show in the display when the light is connected and the machine is in reverse. I connected a purple wire into the plug that comes from the Honda switch which is a gray wire.The switch is actually a ground .I used a yellow wire that I ran from the assessory plugs wire.and ran it all the way to the back.I hooked up a light that I had just laying around to show that it does work. I still have to go and buy a led light that I'll use for the backup light.One thing that you have to remember is that the light that you use can't use the lights housing for a ground.A rubber mounted light would be best or a LED light that has both live and ground wire coming out of it.

I see the plug you used in the picture. It looks like three wires go into the plug and no wires come out - is that true? I found the same plug on my machine but there are three wires coming out that run across the engine and plug into the crankcase.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Just wondering because I would like to just be able to put the pioneer in reverse and the light bar come on without using a switch and the reverse override being permanent.
If wired like normal, No, I dont think it will work.
because.
When in D, it will still send the ground single back to where the D and R are merged thus sending a grounded single through the R wire into the gear shift sensor. That would make the light come on when in R or D.

hondabob64

hondabob64

Oct 22, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I’m thinking of ordering the Honda reverse alarm horn wiring kit & using it as power for my reverse lights... wouldn’t this work?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I’m thinking of ordering the Honda reverse alarm horn wiring kit & using it as power for my reverse lights... wouldn’t this work?
Yep. That's what most of us did.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Diverguy

Diverguy

Oct 8, 2018
PA, USA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'll be hooking mine up next weekend...I have the lights mounted, just need to do all the wiring. Also added rock lights, bumper light bar, and interior lights.

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
I cannot find anything that tells me the length of the wiring harness. Is long enough to go from the accessory plug back to the transmission?

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
If a custom harness is possible then is it necessary to run it all the way from the accessory back. Why not find a power source nearer the transmission connection? As I understand it the transmission connection is the "switch" for initiating power to the backup light. Or am I mistaken?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The connection for the reverse lights is right near the oil filters. I ran the wire from that plug, into my tailgate and installed the light. I doubt I used 5' of wire. Using the Honda harness leaves a few connections open to the elements. Plug an addition connection from your harness to theirs.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!