P700 700-4 Ride/Suspension changes

P

patriot07

Oct 31, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just picked up a 2017 700-4 deluxe to replace our 2012 Mule 4010. Love the Honda - only thing I think I'd like your input on is the ride - it's a bit stiff compared to my old Mule. We're wanting to take this to the Alpine Loop in Colorado. Is it good in stock form for that or do I need to make suspension upgrades?

Engine, drivetrain, seats, and entire package is such a huge step up from my Mule. Really excited about the new to us Honda.

Reactions: Farmer and toddvdh
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
They ride better with a load, and the rear comes from the factory in the 2nd preload, meaning you can go one softer. Air pressure makes a big difference, and you could always toss the swaybar.
Can am commander shocks are sometimes fitted, but beyond that, there is after market replacements from Bronco, Fox, Elka, and 812 (I think). If you think the 700 rides bad, go spend some time in a 500 and you'll feel better.

P

patriot07

Oct 31, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
They ride better with a load, and the rear comes from the factory in the 2nd preload, meaning you can go one softer. Air pressure makes a big difference, and you could always toss the swaybar.
Can am commander shocks are sometimes fitted, but beyond that, there is after market replacements from Bronco, Fox, Elka, and 812 (I think).
Thanks for the reply. I don't know anything about adjusting the shocks so I'll look that up.

What pressure are most folks running driving on regular Texas dirt to soften it up? I didn't consider this but I know my 3/4 ton truck rides night and day different running 40 psi instead of 70.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the reply. I don't know anything about adjusting the shocks so I'll look that up.

What pressure are most folks running driving on regular Texas dirt to soften it up? I didn't consider this but I know my 3/4 ton truck rides night and day different running 40 psi instead of 70.
Only the rear preload is adjustable.

I run pressures on the very low side (like 7-8 psi), but I ride casually. Pressure is a very personal thing and highly dependent on your driving style. The thing probably came from the dealer with like 20psi, so there is nowhere to go but down.

Reactions: Backwoods
P

patriot07

Oct 31, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well it was purchased from an individual but he had them at 25 psi so that explains some things. If I can safely go down to 10-12 psi that's what I'll do. I dropped to 15 and it already helped.

Thanks for the help with the shocks also - I'll check those.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well it was purchased from an individual but he had them at 25 psi so that explains some things. If I can safely go down to 10-12 psi that's what I'll do. I dropped to 15 and it already helped.

Thanks for the help with the shocks also - I'll check those.
LOl...yeah, that'll help. If you were hauling led ingots in the bed, you might need that much in the rear, but otherwise...

Reactions: Backwoods
P

patriot07

Oct 31, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok I dropped to 10 psi and it rides quite a bit better. Better than the mule for sure. Haven't even looked at rear shocks to see where they're at but thanks for the help. Looking forward to learning more from this forum.

Reactions: Farmer
P

patriot07

Oct 31, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
What do yall use to adjust the shocks? Plumbers wrench ok or do you get a tool specific to the fitting?

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
What do yall use to adjust the shocks? Plumbers wrench ok or do you get a tool specific to the fitting?
Here's a guy doing it on his 500.....

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Channel Locks for the rear suspension.

We run tires at 10 psi on all 4. Rides very well in N MI. We are mostly in sand and loam with occasional logs. No issues so far on a 2021 700-4, 450 mi.. Stock tires could be better on pavement, but the fun is on the trails anyway.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!