Auto insurance - Liberty Mutual, anyone?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Has or does anybody use Liberty Mutual for auto insurance? Their rates are outstanding compared to our current carrier.

I'm MOST curious what your experience has been with the claims process.

Last edited:
Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
I don't have them, but thought I'd offer my 2 pennies. I recently changed from Nationwide to State Farm. I have a few properties and 2 cars. Nationwide doesn't cover one of the properties in WV, which is why I had SF on that one, but was reluctant to drop NW cause they've been really good for claims...

Longer story shorter, I bit the bullet and combined everything under SF, and I saved 50% on everything. Literally saved me a couple thousand bucks a year.

Anyway, if you can do a combination policy you could save some money, and the top tier companies may, emphasis on MAY be better to deal with if you have a claim. Side topic about SF, I inherited a house from a family member who had passed away in the house, and had SF for home insurance. It was a situation that required professional hazmat cleanup. SF paid out $30K for clean up, and never blinked an eye. I say this because sometimes having a bigger company might save you in the long run.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yes, I had them include homeowners as well as coverage for the SXSs and ATV (thru Safeco), so the rates are great.

I'm really wondering about the claims process specifically with Liberty Mutual.

We had zero issues with our current carrier (two homeowners claims and one watercraft claim totaling $110K last summer due to two catastrophic weather events ~2 months apart), but their rates are significantly higher than Liberty Mutual -- 50% higher on auto, 33% higher on homeowners, and Progressive (different carrier for SXS/ATV) is about 25% higher than LM is.

No, the aforementioned claims have not (yet) played a part in higher premiums with our current carrier, but I expect they will (even more) this year at renewal.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Has or does anybody use Liberty Mutual for auto insurance? Their rates are outstanding compared to our current carrier.

I'm MOST curious what your experience has been with the claims process.
I am back with Liberty Mutual after leaving them for a while. We had Liberty Mutual for about 8 or 9 years on our House and 3 cars.
During that time, we had claims on the house for a hail storm (got a new roof). Hail damage to two cars, and a fender bender on one car. All were repaired at a place of my choice. They always responded quickly to every claim or question, and all the people I dealt with on the phone and in person were very sharp and helpful.

Like most insurance companies, their rates kept going up, so I decided to shop around. I went with USAA, who caters to military and veterans, and gave us a great quote. Their communication was terrible. When I had a problem or question, I could never talk to someone who knew anything, and could not get any information out of them unless I "opened up a "claim". Anyway at the end of a year with them, they really jacked up my rates, and I went back to Liberty Mutual. We have been back with Liberty over a year now, and our rates went up (as expected) at renewal time, but only slightly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoop and Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!