P700 Half Windshield Pulled In More Dust

KellyK

KellyK

May 26, 2022
Oregon
Ownership

1. 700-4
I got a new Kolpin half windshield for my P700-4 thinking it would help keep the dust down when riding in a dusty environment. I suppose it reduced the dust kicked up by other riders. However, it pulled a ton of my own dust in. After a short ride, my kids and I were covered in dust as well as all surfaces in the cab! We had to cut our ride short that day because the dust was too much. With the windshield installed, I could see dust was coming in from the back and from under the vehicle. I could also feel more heat being pulled in from under the vehicle as well.

I knew this would happen with a full windshield, but didn't expect it to happen with ah half windshield. We were riding in a very dusty environment, but there were so few riders in the area that the only dust we had to deal with was our own. The windshield came off for the next ride and the dust was minimal.

I put the half windshield back on before heading to the sand dunes at the coast. There was not much dust on the sand dunes and the half windshield worked great. It cut down on the wind, which was great since it was very windy at the beach. I also appreciated the heat that was pulled in since most days were a little on the cool side.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I got a new Kolpin half windshield for my P700-4 thinking it would help keep the dust down when riding in a dusty environment.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I got a new Kolpin half windshield for my P700-4 thinking it would help keep the dust down when riding in a dusty environment. I suppose it reduced the dust kicked up by other riders. However, it pulled a ton of my own dust in. After a short ride, my kids and I were covered in dust as well as all surfaces in the cab! We had to cut our ride short that day because the dust was too much. With the windshield installed, I could see dust was coming in from the back and from under the vehicle. I could also feel more heat being pulled in from under the vehicle as well.

I knew this would happen with a full windshield, but didn't expect it to happen with ah half windshield. We were riding in a very dusty environment, but there were so few riders in the area that the only dust we had to deal with was our own. The windshield came off for the next ride and the dust was minimal.

I put the half windshield back on before heading to the sand dunes at the coast. There was not much dust on the sand dunes and the half windshield worked great. It cut down on the wind, which was great since it was very windy at the beach. I also appreciated the heat that was pulled in since most days were a little on the cool side.
Its nearly impossible to keep the dust away. You can do some things but it bever goes away. Its a buggy. As long as u found a happy median as it seems u have, thats good.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
You have a big gaping hole in the front of your machine, and you think something that covers 25-30% of it will reduce the amount of dust coming in the other 70-75%? Answer: No, it won't.

But more importantly: Even with a full windshield, you're going to get a ton of dust in there because of three other reasons: The big gaping hole on the driver's side, the big gaping hole on the passenger side, and the big gaping hole in the rear.

Even with a full windshield, the biggie is the rear. Google "station wagon effect".

You'll always have dust and dirt. You can try to minimize it with a full windshield combined with either a full rear windshield or a nice mesh dust screen on the back like the pic below, but you'll never get rid of all of it. This is a SXS, not a Jeep.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have an SATV half windshield and have found if you slide it upward 2 or 3 inches, it will allow some air to come in and keep most of the dust away. I have a P1K-3 and also have the Quick Shield from a member here, @trigger . The Shield helps with noise,heat and some dust.

KellyK

KellyK

May 26, 2022
Oregon
Ownership

1. 700-4
I wasn't expecting the half windshield to eliminate all of the dust. It did reduce the effect of dust kicked up from other riders. What surprised me was how it increased the dust overall by 10x. I will probably only use the half windshield in the winter from now on, except maybe at the coast. It is so damp there that dust never seems to be a problem.

KellyK

KellyK

May 26, 2022
Oregon
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have an SATV half windshield and have found if you slide it upward 2 or 3 inches, it will allow some air to come in and keep most of the dust away. I have a P1K-3 and also have the Quick Shield from a member here, @trigger . The Shield helps with noise,heat and some dust.
My dad rides his SXS in the Arizona desert and suggested the same thing, but only after I told him about my problem. He uses a half windshield and does not have a dust problem, but he said many others where he rides leave a gap below the bottom of the half windshield.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My dad rides his SXS in the Arizona desert and suggested the same thing, but only after I told him about my problem. He uses a half windshield and does not have a dust problem, but he said many others where he rides leave a gap below the bottom of the half windshield.
Mine has a Velcro strap on each side to secure it so it's easy to loosen and readjust.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I wasn't expecting the half windshield to eliminate all of the dust. It did reduce the effect of dust kicked up from other riders. What surprised me was how it increased the dust overall by 10x. I will probably only use the half windshield in the winter from now on, except maybe at the coast. It is so damp there that dust never seems to be a problem.
I run a half shield on my P5 except for the winter months. I have a back panel with some air that goes through it. That and a Quick Shield keeps the dust tolerable. Nothing's going to eliminate it.

SC1

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A SATV flip out windscreen or go naked…seriously.

I am one of a few that rock a screen mesh front in the summer and fall. The dust and heat is by far the lowest of all options. Just gotta wear safety / sunglasses at higher speeds. Yes you will get wet if it rains. I personally could care less. That’s what those cheap ponchos are for.

IMG 2249

Unfortunately it looks like covid and inflation might have gotten the manufacturer.

It was a good product. Mine is 5 seasons old now and is in good shape still.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes...anything you do to block airflow up front will increase the dust. There is a noticeable increase coating when running my 1/2 shield. That's why I only run it when cool weather makes it necessary.

FWIW, I gave up on the proper mounting years ago. I use tarp bungees to hold it to the rollcage, and use the same to store it up over my head on the big temp-swing AZ days.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
A SATV flip out windscreen or go naked…seriously.

I am one of a few that rock a screen mesh front in the summer and fall. The dust and heat is by far the lowest of all options. Just gotta wear safety / sunglasses at higher speeds. Yes you will get wet if it rains. I personally could care less. That’s what those cheap ponchos are for.

View attachment 396503

Unfortunately it looks like covid and inflation might have gotten the manufacturer.

It was a good product. Mine is 5 seasons old now and is in good shape still.
We've got another vender here that makes these and other screen products,SHY BULL FAM CANVAS, you can contact them on face book at ShyBullFam or text 239-203-4991. I bought one of their rear screens at the TO.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!