P500 How do I find a stronger steering box?

B

BretBouer27

May 4, 2019
Ownership

1. 500
I use my Pioneer with tracks for working around the farm and even though I am careful about once a year the steering box breaks so that the tires are pointed in two different directions. I have power steering in it. I know that I might need to do some fabrication/customization to make it work.

Please share your thoughts on how you would do it or where you would look to find a stronger steering box. What are your recommendations?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Not my area of knowledge. @906UP is a gear guy though. Maybe he'll see this tag and chime in.
Sorry, cant help with this one. The gears i deal with are in transmissions.

Just out if curiosity....what part is breaking? The housing or the rack?

Reactions: trigger
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
First time I have heard of a P500 rack failing.
I'll refrain from badgering for pictures.
How many miles a season do you have the tracks on?

My advice - switch to a Talon and use an @RB3offroad aftermarket rack.
Of course this will mean a huge cash drain and you will learn what parts on a Talon break with tracks.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
If they are causing enough stress to break the rack, I can't imagine the control arm mounts are going to hold up.

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use my Pioneer with tracks for working around the farm and even though I am careful about once a year the steering box breaks so that the tires are pointed in two different directions. I have power steering in it. I know that I might need to do some fabrication/customization to make it work.

Please share your thoughts on how you would do it or where you would look to find a stronger steering box. What are your recommendations?
Lets do some fabricating!!!

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Once a year it's breaking the steering box? This is the first I've ever heard of this happening, but super concerning....

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520

What year is your buggy?

Reactions: Fischer
B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
You may look into what would work for a dirt track car. We used to run dirt late models with 12 inch wide front tires with a manual rack similar to the pioneer. Maybe look at speedway motors.

advertisement