Interview with Lee Edmunds, Powersports Marketing Communications Manager at American Honda

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
In a recent article titled Honda aims to redefine SXS category with Pioneer 1000 and DCT. Lee Edmunds, Powersports Marketing Communications Manager at American Honda, discusses the new 2016 Honda Pioneer line and how the DCT will change the game.

Below are a few quotes from Edmunds himself,

“DCT is huge; I think it’s going to force competitors to have to respond to that because everybody else uses a very similar type of transmission, so there hasn’t been a lot of competition challenging that for a long time,” said Edmunds. “Honda – admittedly, we’re late to the game, but we’re coming in strong and this vehicle is going to really force a lot of people to take a hard look at what they’ve been offering customers for the last 15 years.”

“for us, the multipurpose [SXS] is one of those things that does both very well, and that’s one thing I think the Pioneer 1000 excels at: it’s going to be a great workhorse for those who want to use it that way, but in terms of the engine and the power and the transmission and the suspension and all that, that chassis works so well that it’s going to make a great recreational machine as well.”

“one of the things we point out to our dealers is they all have very durable mechanical transmissions. The 500 is a manual, the 700 has an automatic torque converter and the 1000 has DCT automatic transmission. So they’re all mechanical: they have durability and they offer engine braking.”

“It’s a pride point for the people that are buying them. It’s also a pride point for the manufacturers that are making them. We’re very proud of our factory in South Carolina,”

“I will say that if it’s just used as a tagline, for this demographic it means nothing. The quality of the products has to be there as well. I think that’s where Honda has a really nice advantage in terms of our process. We always say a Honda can be built anywhere because of the processes we have put in place at each of the factories. We can take that system and basically put it anywhere.”

For the full article see Honda aims to redefine SXS category with Pioneer 1000 and DCT

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
This is a pretty good find, read the whole article in the link. Gives some insight into the direction the Honda technology is taking us with the SXS.

Small excerpt, no more spoilers,

"That focus makes sense when considering the target demographic for the Pioneer 1000, comprised of what Honda has dubbed the “American Traditionalist.” Among other factors, members of this demographic tend to be male, a little older and property owners. For them, “Built in the USA” could make a difference."

Reactions: Hondasxs