P700 New guy here with starter issues

S

SDD74

Mar 24, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey guys, I’m Shawn from Texas. I currently own a 2015 poineer700 that we bought new in 2015. The reason I joined this forum was to get some questions answered possibly about the differences in my 2015 starter and the 2021 starter I accidentally ordered. There are some noticeable differences in the two and I was a little nervous to try the newer one on my machine. I am happy to say that it is working fine at the moment. Does anyone know why Honda changed the starter design? Was it prone to failure? I have went through 3 of the old style starters before this one.

Reactions: Mudwing
livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not a clue on the starter, but welcome to the forums from Indiana.

I'm sure someone will be along soon that can help.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hey guys, I’m Shawn from Texas. I currently own a 2015 poineer700 that we bought new in 2015. The reason I joined this forum was to get some questions answered possibly about the differences in my 2015 starter and the 2021 starter I accidentally ordered. There are some noticeable differences in the two and I was a little nervous to try the newer one on my machine. I am happy to say that it is working fine at the moment. Does anyone know why Honda changed the starter design? Was it prone to failure? I have went through 3 of the old style starters before this one.
$

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Prob to upgrade it from old design. Pics of the old vrs new one would help us greatly.
And Welcome, finally To the forum from Michigan!
also, being that long ago and just now getting on the forum we need some Pics of this machine ir it Didnt Happen!

S

SDD74

Mar 24, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-2
there were 2 major differences between the 2. One being the starter assembly bolts are on the inside of the housing instead of the outside like the old one. And the other being where the starter wire connection is on the back of the starter instead of the side. Here are some online pics of the old vs new

Old starter design
FFE2612D FDE7 4674 944B E62554503953

New starter( the splined end on mine doesn’t have the pilot end on it. It looks just like the old one.)
5582FCDB D4BF 47F1 87E7 8A8D611E35B7

AF374369 08FD 4CD0 B3D8 094FBC72B24F

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Looks like they just upgraded/superseeded it. Like alot of parts like starters on alot of the standby gens i work on. If its the part number for your machine, id say its just been upgraded and youll be fine

S

SDD74

Mar 24, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Looks like they just upgraded/superseeded it. Like alot of parts like starters on alot of the standby gens i work on. If its the part number for your machine, id say its just been upgraded and youll be fine
I did go ahead and put it on and it works great, so far. I’m hoping this will be the last one I have to buy! Now on to tearing the sxs apart even more. It has over 9000 miles on it and I have never checked the valves! With that I need to fix a few other things along with an oil change and air filter cleaning hopefully it will be good to go for summer.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I did go ahead and put it on and it works great, so far. I’m hoping this will be the last one I have to buy! Now on to tearing the sxs apart even more. It has over 9000 miles on it and I have never checked the valves! With that I need to fix a few other things along with an oil change and air filter cleaning hopefully it will be good to go for summer.
Thanks for the info. Ride on 😎🤘🏾

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!