P1000 P1000-5 Trail edition front diff

B

Bjk

Nov 25, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
I took a look at a local dealer that had a 1000- deluxe and a Trail edition. Canadian price difference was 4000.00.
Deluxe was 24k. Trail was 28k.
I asked why such a big difference. I was told the graphics and the front diff are the main difference. Was told the front diff is just like the Honda Acura mdx diff. It is automatic, no shifting it puts power to the front wheel with the most traction automatically. I have a 2017 700-4 that I'm thinking of replacing. I told the salesman I like the turf mode. I was told it's useless. The machine has so much power it just spins when you touch the gas pedal. He said it's to sensitive and in turf you can't control the wheel spin. We live at a lake so we use our 700 to put the boat in and out of the water. Haul wood and it's our daily driver. Truck and car sit for 2 weeks at a time. We had 4 ft of snow last winter so had a lot of struggling to control the snow removal. We have no municipal help for snow removal. I bought a bercomac 65" snow blower for the 700. Put an inferno heater honda soft doors and the mid panel to heat the cab and I am ready for this winter. I am concerned about the speed and if the 700 can go slow enuf for the snowblower without the low range the 1000 has. Any opinions comments and knowledge are greatly appreciated. Thank you

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You have typed a lot, and there's a lot I can't help with but, I can tell you this. That salesman may be an idiot...
I have a 22 PK3 Deluxe and I use Turf Mode most of the time around the house. Even climbing hills and its been fine. If you goose the piss out of it (that's a southern term and also nomo) it will spin the tire, but driving in a normal manner it's fine. If you are pulling the boat out of the water I'd probably just use 2wd normal low...and if the ramp is steep use 4wd low.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I use Turf Mode 90% of the time. Never spin a tire unless I'm trying to. Perhaps the "Front Diff" change he is talking about is the I-fwd in trail and forest vs locking Diff in base and deluxe model?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
LOL... Totally second @GovtMule's reply.

So much wrong in that assessment from the dealer.

I dont have a clue about a Acura mdx diff....
Do you know how anti-lock brakes work? This is about the reverse of that to push power from one wheel to the other. It brakes the spinning wheel and allows the nonspinning wheel to spin. Its traction control really. Honda calls it "i-4wd".

Turf mode is great for around the house and on the pavement. Actually on the trail too. I also use turf mode more than not when trail riding. I can't say I have spun out without doing it on purpose once. Turf mode is NOT "ONE WHEEL DRIVE". Both will spin if they have equal traction.

You need to send the dealer the link to this post.
I'd be afraid to have them do any service speaking as they have, I'm sure they have no clue what the Wrench 1 means.
They need to read up on this machine for sure....
OR... are they a multi-brand dealer and are trying to put you into a Popo?

B

Bjk

Nov 25, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
I use Turf Mode 90% of the time. Never spin a tire unless I'm trying to. Perhaps the "Front Diff" change he is talking about is the I-fwd in trail and forest vs locking Diff in base and deluxe model?
That is what he is talking about I-fwd. Could not remember the term. I am more a manual guy. To much electronic stiff can be problematic.

B

Bjk

Nov 25, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
LOL... Totally second @GovtMule's reply.

So much wrong in that assessment from the dealer.

I dont have a clue about a Acura mdx diff....
Do you know how anti-lock brakes work? This is about the reverse of that to push power from one wheel to the other. It brakes the spinning wheel and allows the nonspinning wheel to spin. Its traction control really. Honda calls it "i-4wd".

Turf mode is great for around the house and on the pavement. Actually on the trail too. I also use turf mode more than not when trail riding. I can't say I have spun out without doing it on purpose once. Turf mode is NOT "ONE WHEEL DRIVE". Both will spin if they have equal traction.

You need to send the dealer the link to this post.
I'd be afraid to have them do any service speaking as they have, I'm sure they have no clue what the Wrench 1 means.
They need to read up on this machine for sure....
OR... are they a multi-brand dealer and are trying to put you into a Popo?
No multi brand dealer. Only honda. I found it odd that he bashed the turf mode.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
It sounds like your salesman should find a different job...

The P1k in any iteration will be more capable than the 700 you have now for the activities/chores you've described. The downside would be purchasing all of the new cab enclosure items you've got on your 700 now. Turf mode is fantastic and it's obvious your salesman has no idea how it actually works. It's just an unlocked rear end which allows the wheels turn independently of one another and not destroy your grass/yard when turning like a locked rear end would. It doesn't turn into a one-wheel peel go-kart when it is put in Turf mode. If both rear tires have traction it'll pull with both.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Salesperson was making sh!t up.

The biggest determination for a buyer looking at Deluxe vs. Trail is whether you want to go with a manually selected 4WD that you have full control over, or an "intelligent" system that monitors spin and makes compensation for it.

Beyond that, it's also a very important consideration for anyone who may want to go with a lift kit and bigger tires. When it comes to aftermarket suspension components, many are not made for the i4WD machines. That may change in a few years if Honda sells more Forest / Trail models, but for now it's a big limiting factor.

You will love Turf Mode.

B

Bjk

Nov 25, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thankyou everyone for the value you have given. Obviously it's far better to hear the answers from the owners and operators than sales people.
I can sell my P700-4 with the cab heater etc for more than without it so not all lost. I agree if I purchase the P1000-5 it will be the deluxe with manual locking 4x4, but will be next year after I see how the 700 handles the snow blowing situation. Once we get snow on the ground I will post a couple pics

advertisement
B

Bjk

Nov 25, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nope he bragged it up saying it will last for many years. The mdx front diff is good for 400,000k so the pioneer will never wear out lol.

H

HondaTech

Isn't the MDX system like the Ridgeline rear end?

If so that system is far removed from the i-4wd in the Pioneer.

Reactions: Rayger143
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I took a look at a local dealer that had a 1000- deluxe and a Trail edition. Canadian price difference was 4000.00.
I asked why such a big difference. I was told the graphics and the front diff are the main difference. Was told the front diff is just like the Honda Acura mdx diff. It is automatic, no shifting it puts power to the front wheel with the most traction automatically. I have a 2017 700-4 that I'm thinking of replacing. I told the salesman I like the turf mode. I was told it's useless. The machine has so much power it just spins when you touch the gas pedal. He said it's to sensitive and in turf you can't control the wheel spin. We live at a lake so we use our 700 to put the boat in and out of the water. Haul wood and it's our daily driver. Truck and car sit for 2 weeks at a time. We had 4 ft of snow last winter so had a lot of struggling to control the snow removal. We have no municipal help for snow removal. I bought a bercomac 65" snow blower for the 700. Put an inferno heater honda soft doors and the mid panel to heat the cab and I am ready for this winter. I am concerned about the speed and if the 700 can go slow enuf for the snowblower without the low range the 1000 has. Any opinions comments and knowledge are greatly appreciated. Thank you

I had the 2018 Limited Edition which was the I-4WD system, ran that machine hard for 4.5 years over 13K miles on it. Never had any issues with it. Much discussion and my experiences (mostly very positive) with it here:

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You should get that salesman to try and spin the tires in turf mode for you. I also use turf mode all the time at home and when I rip up the hill on a FSR and very seldom spin a tire. You should really show him this post. Where in Canada are you?

Reactions: WagginTail

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!