Questions for Pioneer Owners

L

LTW

Dec 29, 2013
I recently sold my Rhino to purchase a new SXS. I am a true Honda fan so am really leaning towards the Pioneer but have a few reservations;

The main concern is that with the wide stance on the pioneer the riders (guns, coolers etc.) will not be able to stay clean in muddy conditions. In looking at how far the stock wheels and tires extend from the body I can see everyone/everything in the unit being covered in mud. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any pictures showing mud flaps on the unit? I looked at one in the showroom, it looks fairly straight forward on the front but to put flaps on the back could prove to be a bit of a challenge.

I am also converned with only having a single rear disk brake on the back. The original Rhino's came out with this configuration and changed to disk brakes all the way around. I assume that this was for a reason so am curious as to why Honda thinks this will last and be reliable?

The last item is the finish on the bumpers and roll cage. Virtually all other manufaturers have a rough hard finish on the roll bars that is pretty much bullet proof. With Honda only having a painted finish I'm thinking it's not going to look that good after a few trips through the brambles??

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

advertisement
W

waterboy1

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
Welcome, I have used a truck mudflap on the back under the bed and it helps a lot. Yes it will throw a lot of mud but a couple of mud flaps control a lot of it. I had a Rhino and got rid of it for the Pioneer and the single brake has not been a concern. I have rubbed against trees with the roll cage and it has not taken the paint off yet.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is no issue stoping with the single brake in the back, I can lock it up when hauling a 500lb sprayer and 2 people, plenty of grabbing power. Its a powder coat finish its tough and unless you gouge it badly it holds up and doesn't rust, it does show the scratches but thats why I take the Pioneer through the brush instead of the truck.

The back does throw a bit or it could be the front when turning, I don't really run through the mud at a fast enough pace to throw it up and catch up with it. For the most part though it stays pretty mud free in the cab.

Reactions: Bowtech32
L

LTW

Dec 29, 2013
Okay thanks, I guess we'll see how the brake holds up.

I still think that if Honda is targeting the middle aged family guy with the 700-4 they would put a little extra into helping keep it's original appearance and keeping the riders and their gear clean.

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
As a rhino owner myself, had an 06 sold it, still have an 08,and an 09, maybe I can answer some of these for ya. As far as throwing mud up, I would say stock form the pioneer does a better job keeping you clean. Bigger tires I dont have yet but on my 06 rhino I did and I cant imagine anything worse than that. The single disk brake on the rear, well im with you on that one. An absolute failure in my opinion. It was a disaster on the rhino. For those who dont k now it not the stopping power thats the problem, its expo
sed to sand and water mudetc way more than a rotor in a wheels it wears pads fast. Then it also had drag that would heat it up so bad that I once caught a palm fron on fire the was stuck in my skid plate. Just a horrible design. The finish is shiny paint. Think back to the older rhinos, same thing . Yamaha learned to powder coat the bars for much better durability. I chalked these things up to honda being new to the sxs world and will make changes as time goes on. Lastly, if you liked your rhino you will love this honda . I wouldnt trade it for 5 rhinos

RacerX400600

RacerX400600

Jun 22, 2013
The dirttrax review posted on this forum had good things to say about the mud protection....

F

farmer700

Dec 7, 2013
I think the single rear break is good. Less to go wrong and only 1 set of pads to replace for the rear.

As for mud in the cab. Stick to your factory wheels. If you change wheels you will increase the stance and throw more mud.

L

LTW

Dec 29, 2013
Thanks everyone, with Honda's reputation for quality and durability I guess I'll have to overlook a few shortcomings and give one a try!

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
Once the aftermarket kicks in for the Pioneer, there will be plenty of options out there for fender flair / extensions like there is for all the other SxS's.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!