Tire repair goo . . . good, bad, or ugly?

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I ride year round, sometimes in freezing temps, often doing many miles at 50mph on pavement or graded roads to reach the trails. I'd like some protection against tire leaks, but wondering which one is best for how I ride?

Fix-a-flat seems worthless, not gonna go there.
TireJect says it's only good for a year, I intend to ride longer than that.

Both Slime & Flat Out recommend around one pound of goo get added to each tire. How well does this stuff stay fluid in cold temps? Does it affect wheel balance? Am I gonna rattle my fillings out heading to the trails if I add either one? Based on this Project Farm vid, I think I prefer the Flat Out, but he doesn't do any real road testing with it.

Thanks,
Mark

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I used S[ime in mine! I had one slow leaker but I did 12 pumps in all four. No more leaks and the tire seems well balanced.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ride year round, sometimes in freezing temps, often doing many miles at 50mph on pavement or graded roads to reach the trails. I'd like some protection against tire leaks, but wondering which one is best for how I ride?

Both Slime & Flat Out recommend around one pound of goo get added to each tire. How well does this stuff stay fluid in cold temps? Does it affect wheel balance? Am I gonna rattle my fillings out heading to the trails if I add either one? Based on this Project Farm vid, I think I prefer the Flat Out, but he doesn't do any real road testing with it.

Thanks,
Mark
After having my first flat, I aired it back up after plugging with fix a flat. Worked OK til middle of next ride when the plug blew out. Fortunately, I bought a small air compressor before the second flat. I noticed that when I got home the new plug was already coming out. Took the tire to local golf cart dealer; cleaned out all the fix a flat; put in a plug with a patch built in and no more problems. Then I bought some decent tires (system 3 350’s) and haven’t had a problem since. I still carry a plug kit and an air compressor and a spare tire. No more flats and I see a lot of rocks.

H

HondaTech

Thanks,
Mark

Check out Project Farm on YouTube. He did a test on several tire sealants. I think he checked cold weather properties as well.

Reactions: Mudwing and lee
R

rickoshea

tire ject in mine.it's been in there for well over a year.i've had to add air on one after a puncture.maybe 3 lbs. i'll leave it in there till it stops working,and i've noticed zero balance issues.tireject is a thinner product and i don't know how it reacts to cold weather.my tracks go on at the first snowfall.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been using a half bottle of flat out in my tires for the last few years. Never had any holes or leaks since. It started with slow leaking bead locks and the Flat-out fixed that issue. Saw a few spots that weeped from pin holes but never lost air. I'd say it works well even without the full bottle added

JethroBarnwell

JethroBarnwell

Apr 7, 2018
Upstate South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
AmerSeal for me and nothing else. Been using it for years in farm machinery and forest equipment. I have never found anything that comes close. It isn't cheap. Can not tolerate down time. Buy it direct and save some money. Go ahead and buy the pump for the five gallon bucket. I have this stuff in everything. Look at their web site and you decide. First saw live demonstration at Ohio Farm Science review in the 1980's. Been loyal ever since.

Reactions: CID
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I went with the Flat Out stuff, it did stop a slow leak I had in one tire that prompted my using sealant. I've not noticed any issues with it since, the extra weight has even smoothed out a wheel the shop couldn't balance fully.

Reactions: someguy1313
TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does any of this stuff create any issues, when it's time for a new set of tires?

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does any of this stuff create any issues, when it's time for a new set of tires?
No, just clean the wheel and put the new tire on normally. We used to put buckets of the stuff in heavy equipment tires for not only air loss, but to eliminate oxidation on the wheels

advertisement
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I forgot what I use... great heavy duty plug set from ARB and a compressor. I wish I could remember the name...

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm not sure when this damage happened, but I suspect it was with about 1.5 to 2 hrs left in an all day ride and farther from home than I would want to walk. The tire has basically lost no air, and we made it home with no drama, including a couple miles of high speed pavement once I got back into town. The "bad" news is I still haven't tested the Jack Daddy trail jack I have. This tire was down to less than 1/4 tread, so I'll just replace it with new and use the old one from the other side for the spare. FlatOut will definitely be going back in the new tire.

Tire goo 1

Last edited:
Reactions: PJon and Mudwing
someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
from the dead: had a nice puncture that i could get my little finger into. I run Flat Out ATV in all my tires (sealed up a bead lock leak very well and its magic on my Kubota tractor).
Long story short, that stuff is amazing.
water based kevlar that has a 10 year service life. easy to clean out when you swap tires and non corrosive to aluminum wheels.
Tire held the duration of the 2 day excursion.
If you have bead lock issues or want preventative protection, this is a solid choice.
All my farm and play vehicles get it as prevention.

also interested in others experieces.

Reactions: Smitty335
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
from the dead: had a nice puncture that i could get my little finger into. I run Flat Out ATV in all my tires (sealed up a bead lock leak very well and its magic on my Kubota tractor).
Long story short, that stuff is amazing.
water based kevlar that has a 10 year service life. easy to clean out when you swap tires and non corrosive to aluminum wheels.
Tire held the duration of the 2 day excursion.
If you have bead lock issues or want preventative protection, this is a solid choice.
All my farm and play vehicles get it as prevention.

also interested in others experieces.
Still happy with Flatout in my tires after 5 years.

Reactions: someguy1313

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!