P1000 Warn VRX 45 winch on Forest Model. Remote?

S

Smooth Operator

Apr 5, 2021
Usk, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently purchased a 2022 Pioneer 1000-5 Forest. It came with a Warn VRX 45 winch with a remote switch on the dash. However, does anyone know if it should have also included a remote switch that could be operated from outside the vehicle? I see these are sold with this winch from other vendors.

I asked the Honda dealer and it has cause them confusion. I
20220722 191312

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't know, but with the Warn VRX 45 that came stock on my '21 1005 SE, there was a corded remote that plugged into a socket inside the glove box, left side front. The cord was long enough to just reach the front of the vehicle. I added a wireless remote ($20 on Amazon). If you go with a wireless remote, be sure to apply power to the receiver through a "disable" switch. That way stray RFI won't have the winch cranking when it shouldn't with potential damage.

Reactions: Smooth Operator
D

Dirter

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got one of these and just piggybacked the spade connectors on the winch solenoid. I powered it direct from the battery so I don’t need the key on. Still need the key for the dash switch. It all works just fine.Wireless Remote
64BE6D1D EB7D 4556 A50B B5660CEB59B3

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got one of these and just piggybacked the spade connectors on the winch solenoid. I powered it direct from the battery so I don’t need the key on. Still need the key for the dash switch. It all works just fine.Wireless RemoteView attachment 345260

Mine is the same, but cost $20 and included a keychain remote transmitter as well as the one you show. Advice I read somewhere is to include an on/off switch in line with the power to the receiver so that it will only operate when you intend it to by first applying power to it through the "kill switch". The "problem" was that radio frequency interference can spoof the receiver causing it to operate the winch unintended, with obvious risk of serious damage. Cheap insurance.

D

Dirter

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Excellent advice. I will make that happen. Thank you.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Excellent advice. I will make that happen. Thank you.
I didn't take up space with a large rocker switch. I used a small round one, bottom row just to the right of the digital thermometer showing 48.5 degrees. The one below the radio applies power so you can use it "key-off". The little round button, below the dual voltmeter, applies a momentary ground so I can check battery voltages without turning on the key (and skewing the main battery reading due to loading).

20211221 215040

S

Smooth Operator

Apr 5, 2021
Usk, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't know, but with the Warn VRX 45 that came stock on my '21 1005 SE, there was a corded remote that plugged into a socket inside the glove box, left side front. The cord was long enough to just reach the front of the vehicle. I added a wireless remote ($20 on Amazon). If you go with a wireless remote, be sure to apply power to the receiver through a "disable" switch. That way stray RFI won't have the winch cranking when it shouldn't with potential damage.

I got one of these and just piggybacked the spade connectors on the winch solenoid. I powered it direct from the battery so I don’t need the key on. Still need the key for the dash switch. It all works just fine.Wireless RemoteView attachment 345260
That looks like a good way to go. I could see how a remote could be much handier than a corded unit in some situations.

S

Smooth Operator

Apr 5, 2021
Usk, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is the same, but cost $20 and included a keychain remote transmitter as well as the one you show. Advice I read somewhere is to include an on/off switch in line with the power to the receiver so that it will only operate when you intend it to by first applying power to it through the "kill switch". The "problem" was that radio frequency interference can spoof the receiver causing it to operate the winch unintended, with obvious risk of serious damage. Cheap insurance.
Good to know! Thanks.

S

Smooth Operator

Apr 5, 2021
Usk, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't take up space with a large rocker switch. I used a small round one, bottom row just to the right of the digital thermometer showing 48.5 degrees. The one below the radio applies power so you can use it "key-off". The little round button, below the dual voltmeter, applies a momentary ground so I can check battery voltages without turning on the key (and skewing the main battery reading due to loading).

View attachment 345288
The small switch is a good use of space. I like the dashboard photo, it gives me some ideas for other switch placement on mine.

S

Smooth Operator

Apr 5, 2021
Usk, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like the 2022 Forest model does not have a plug inside the glove box. This knowledge helps when I go to the dealership next week.

advertisement
S

Smooth Operator

Apr 5, 2021
Usk, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently purchased a 2022 Pioneer 1000-5 Forest. It came with a Warn VRX 45 winch with a remote switch on the dash. However, does anyone know if it should have also included a remote switch that could be operated from outside the vehicle? I see these are sold with this winch from other vendors.

I asked the Honda dealer and it has cause them confusion. IView attachment 345136
Just a follow up on this. The Honda dealer in Spokane says that the 2022 Pioneer 1000 Forest models do not come with an plug in external winch control. I have had some good ideas from you guys, so I will consider some of those options. Thanks.

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!